HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 8:26 PM
Ham-burgher

This would probably get its own thread once a proposal is together. 430 Cannon E is the old Hamilton Cab site... these blocks of Cannon need some love, especially the stretch between Wentworth and Wellington.

Hamilton Urban Core receives $15.4M to grow into future health centre

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...th-centre.html

By Teviah Moro
The Hamilton Spectator
Sun., Dec. 13, 2020

A longtime community health hub in downtown Hamilton is receiving $15.4 million toward its plan to move to a larger new location.

The Ontario government announced the funding for Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre on Friday.

For years, it was executive director Denise Brooks’s “vision” to move the health centre into a purpose-built location, says agency board chair Jane Mulkewich. But Brooks died suddenly at the age of 64 in August.

“This has been at least a decade coming, and we’re finally getting closer to that vision,” Mulkewich said Friday.

The inner-city health centre has been a fixture at a former bus station on Rebecca Street for about 25 years.

That old station, which has been in “bad need of repair,” was never well-suited for a health centre, Mulkewich said.

The agency plans to build a two-storey building at 430 Cannon St. E., a property near Wentworth Street North it purchased for $1.3 million.

Mulkewich said the $15.4 million is meant to cover the hiring of a consultant to see the plan through, architectural design and construction, which she expects will start in February 2021. A move-in date is likely two years away, she noted.

full story here

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 7:10 PM

Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre | ? | 2 fl | Planning

Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre

430 Cannon Street East

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=4812

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 7:15 PM

From Joey Coleman

Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre's Site Plan submission for a new health care facility at 430 Cannon Street East is now under review at City Hall.

If approved, they will have all needed permits to build this spring.

12:24 PM · Feb 22, 2021·Twitter

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 7:33 PM

That site's a former mechanic next to a mechanic next to a former gas station. As a non-residential development, are they exempt from the same environmental/ RSC process that residential developments are subject to?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 7:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

I don't know if Cumulus is the architect, but this is their proposal.

http://cumulusarch.com/hamilton-urban-core

Responding to Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre's (HUCCHC) need for a new downtown site, Cumulus initiated a redevelopment proposal for the Beasley neighbourhood in Hamilton. This redevelopment was designed to provide a new facility for the community health organization, while at the same time fulfilling a need for public park space, parking, residential units and associated amenities.

Some of the foreseen benefits of the redevelopment included:

Potential for dormant, underutilized City-owned site is realized via the development catalyst;

Planned park implementation is accelerated vs. waiting for development charges to fund future park years away;

Synergies between program elements are appropriate for the neighbourhood and community;

Leverage social programs with integrated development vs. commercialization of public assets (i.e provision of supportive housing collocated with HUCCHC and allied partners such as Hamilton Health Sciences, Mohawk College and McMaster University);

Anticipated support from the Beasley neighbourhood community by retaining and fostering the pre-existing relationship with HUCCHC;

Promotion of mixed-use supportive redevelopment that is compatible with the Beasley Neighbourhood Plan; and

Support an established community service that offers a pragmatic approach to the needs of disadvantaged urban population.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 7:52 PM

Wait, they're suggesting redoing the park that was just completed?

And what about the projects that have already been proposed across the stress?

Very confusing

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 8:11 PM

I'm confused, is this a vision proposal or an actual proposal? I actually prefer their half design of maintaining a street wall along King William, but I don't know what the entire point of this whole thing is.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 8:45 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's just a vision from the architect.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 9:04 PM

That's a very old concept from 2016

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 1:09 PM

From last night's community consultation meeting

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 1:17 PM

nice looking building if it can be detailed well. Quite the upgrade from their existing facilities!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 1:25 PM

What exactly is the function of this building?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
What exactly is the function of this building?
From their website:

"Hamilton Urban Core is an inner city health centre with thousands of registered clients who routinely access the Centre’s many programs and services. Founded in 1996, Hamilton Urban Core is a non-profit agency, primarily funded through the Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant (HNHB) Local Integration Health Network (LHIN). Over the years Hamilton Urban Core has worked diligently with individuals and communities to not only change the lives of thousands of inner city residents, but to also shape a better, healthier city for the client communities served and represented by the Centre."

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 1:57 PM

It's essentially a safe injection site and other community health for the disadvantaged.

I think they could have easily handles 3 or 4 floors here. Their original proposals back in the thread has like 6 storey plans, and this site is smaller, so I'm surprised they went so short, but it looks great, and if they can avoid having a hang out space outside then hopefully people either stay inside or disperse, rather than hanging outside all day causing issues.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 2:13 PM

This is the last thing this city needs....I hate to say it, but why do we want to attract more of these types to our downtown?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 2:17 PM

This isn’t the forum for that. Take your opinion and put it into Twitter or Facebook- keep it off this forum because it has nothing to do with building or the infrastructure in this city.

Last edited by HolyWayne; Mar 26, 2021 at 2:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyWayne View Post
This isn’t the forum for that. Take your opinion and put it into Twitter or Facebook- keep it off this forum because it has nothing to do with building or I infrastructure in this city.
Pardon me? I have an opinion on this particular piece of infrastructure. I don't agree with it's location, and it's disappointing to me that the city would approve its construction.

I think it will be a blight on the neighbourhood, and will cause issues with the demand for construction of other more important developments in the neighbourhood. Who wants to buy a condo unit across the street from an injection site?

I think it's worth discussing, and I don't think you should just shut me down because you disagree with my opinion. There are other places in the city this could have been built. Right in our downtown, which is trying to reestablish itself as a hip young and vibrant area, is not the right place for this. And I think this is a reasonable place for me to voice my concerns about it, especially considering I live right around the corner from here.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Pardon me? I have an opinion on this particular piece of infrastructure. I don't agree with it's location, and it's disappointing to me that the city would approve its construction.
Feel free to disagree on the zoning, which currently allows medical uses. Who the medical uses are geared towards - as city councillors have pointed out before - is not something the City can dictate or regulate, and to try to do so would be illegal discrimination.
If you want to voice concerns about who Hamilton "attracts to its downtown", I'll add myself to the request that you do so on a different forum.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 2:43 PM

Quote:
This is the last thing this city needs....I hate to say it, but why do we want to attract more of these types to our downtown?
where do you propose these people go? They need the help. And they can't really access the help if you stick it in an industrial park in Ancaster.

It has to be downtown in order to actually serve the people in need. I agree the current location is problematic as many of them hang out in the new Rebecca Park.. but moving it here I think is a good approach as it's not as central a location while still being accessible for clients.

The people aren't going to just disappear if you remove the services.. They will just shoot up in Gore Park or something instead. Providing a safe space improves public health and has a whole litany of benefits overall, with the unfortunate effect of concentrating the activity in one location.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 2:58 PM
It's a nickname from work

Quote:
I think it will be a blight on the neighbourhood, and will cause issues with the demand for construction of other more important developments in the neighbourhood. Who wants to buy a condo unit across the street from an injection site?
This is the exact same rhetoric espoused by the residents of the Durand when St. Joseph's was built 130 years ago. Would you rather we keep to the current arrangements, as in, the roof of Jackson Square? It'd be one thing if it were built on King William St, but this stretch of Cannon isn't even west of Wellington Street.

Not one person looks at a safe-injection site and thinks "well, this is a perfect opportunity to take up heroin "

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton