HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I mean is it at all surprising he has to do this? The city intentionally delayed his project by two years. Housing prices have increased in that period, and costs have added up due to the delay. It's no wonder he's re-pricing the project.

This is entirely the city's fault. If they want more reasonably prices homes in this city, stop putting barriers in place to their construction.
No it’s not. Lamb always appeals his projects to the LPAT. I don’t think he has *ever* gotten a project approved through council.

It’s not councils fault. At all. Lamb launched his project knowing he was 2 years + from zoning approval - and did it anyway. He made a bet that construction costs would hold, and that bet didn’t pay off.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
No it’s not. Lamb always appeals his projects to the LPAT. I don’t think he has *ever* gotten a project approved through council.

It’s not councils fault. At all. Lamb launched his project knowing he was 2 years + from zoning approval - and did it anyway. He made a bet that construction costs would hold, and that bet didn’t pay off.
I don't understand. The council rejected his application. This is entirely their fault. Should have approved it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

Zoning changes are very common in the GTHA condo world now. This wasn't unusual or different from Lamb.
There is a project in Stoney creek which was recently rejected because it was 11 stories. The land is designated medium density but it was still rejected by council.

End of the day city says they want density, but people push back against density, projects get delayed 2-3 years and nothing happens except higher prices for home owners.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 12:30 AM

Agreed, by delaying this project for 2+ years the city did nothing but make housing even less affordable. Good job.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 2:31 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Agreed, by delaying this project for 2+ years the city did nothing but make housing even less affordable. Good job.
This isn't the Wild West. Lamb must have known at the time of his proposal what he was getting into (and how he could manage his way through!)

I don't dissolve the city from any faults, but it's up to developers to wade their way through the local marshes.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
This isn't the Wild West. Lamb must have known at the time of his proposal what he was getting into (and how he could manage his way through!)

I don't dissolve the city from any faults, but it's up to developers to wade their way through the local marshes.
Well technically he has. The victims are the original buyers. Although I would assume people will be more gun shy for his next Hamilton project.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 10:50 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Well technically he has. The victims are the original buyers. Although I would assume people will be more gun shy for his next Hamilton project.
I just meant that if this is his M.O., as others have noted, he knew what the potential pathways through were.

The city still lays on the red tape way too thick and there still needs to be much more change in attitude and execution on their part, but the more I learn about Lamb the less sympathetic I am to him.

Quite agree with your view on who gets the short straw in this kind of thing. And that never seems to change.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 10:11 PM

CHCH is moving out at the end of the week. The news anchors are all talking about having to pack up everything. On morning live that said that they will temporarily be moving across the street from the new studios until the new one is finished late summer or early fall.

From CHCH Twitter

Quote:
For 67 years CHCH called 163 Jackson Street West in downtown Hamilton home. It is our last week at the old building before heading up the escarpment to start anew.
Demo then construction.

https://www.chch.com/chch-on-the-move/

Last edited by LikeHamilton; May 27, 2021 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
CHCH is moving out at the end of the week. The news anchors are all talking about having to pack up everything. On morning live that said that they will temporarily be moving across the street from the new studios until the new one is finished late summer or early fall.

From CHCH Twitter

Demo then construction.

https://www.chch.com/chch-on-the-move/
Doesn't seem to say on that web page you linked anything about demolition and construction starting?

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Doesn't seem to say on that web page you linked anything about demolition and construction starting?
That was my opinion. The article was by CHCH and not Lamb. CHCH has already sold the property and have a vacate date. I suspect Lamb will apply for a demo permit as it is easier to build on a vacant lot!

Last edited by LikeHamilton; May 28, 2021 at 6:04 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 3:35 PM

Let's hope it happens quickly, we don't need another vacant lot downtown. And these buildings will really add to the appeal of the city when complete.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 7:03 PM

...not wanting to drift off the topic of TV City, but did anyone else notice in the new studio renderings that all the branding showed a return to the "11" branding...I hope that is really happening!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 7:07 PM

Here is another video on CHCH's move. In it they state that the new owners of the property did not want to extend the lease and they want to get on with the condo's.

https://www.chch.com/the-end-of-an-e...something-new/

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Here is another video on CHCH's move. In it they state that the new owners of the property did not want to extend the lease and they want to get on with the condo's.

https://www.chch.com/the-end-of-an-e...something-new/
Good find. Sounds like construction could be starting pretty soon then.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 9:05 PM
Burger Connoisseur

I'm sad CHCH couldn't find a place downtown with so many empty floors in the Stelco Tower you would think they could have gotten a pretty sweet deal on taking a whole floor or two for a new studio and remain in the heart of the city!?

As for the TV City Condos I look forward to seeing this finally break ground and to find out any new information if it's still Lamb or if he sold to a new developer and if the design has changed at all because it was only refereed to as the new owner wants to start construction no specific name given in the clip?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I'm sad CHCH couldn't find a place downtown with so many empty floors in the Stelco Tower you would think they could have gotten a pretty sweet deal on taking a whole floor or two for a new studio and remain in the heart of the city!?
I was taking to someone at a social function from CHCH just after CHCH announced they were moving to Waterdown and I asked them, "why not downtown". They said all of the buildings offered, required a lot more work and expense to build a new studio and to get cabling to the roof for satellite and microwave feed. Most did not have the square footage they required.

Quote:
As for the TV City Condos I look forward to seeing this finally break ground and to find out any new information if it's still Lamb or if he sold to a new developer and if the design has changed at all because it was only refereed to as the new owner wants to start construction no specific name given in the clip?
The storey was about CHCH’s move to Waterdown and not the Jackson Street property. They most likely don’t care what goes on the property! They have got their money and their running! They only reason they mentioned it was the fact they are basically being booted out by the new owners.

I would like to suggest that that we all send an email to CHCH requesting they do a storey on the new owners of the property, whoever they are, and what the updated plans are for the property.

Here is the link from their web site.

Q: How do I make a request for News coverage?

A: Please email tips@chch.com or leave a voice mail at 905-522-1101 x 2251

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 10:35 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
I would like to suggest that that we all send an email to CHCH requesting they do a storey on the new owners of the property, whoever they are, and what the updated plans are for the property.

Here is the link from their web site.

Q: How do I make a request for News coverage?

A: Please email tips@chch.com or leave a voice mail at 905-522-1101 x 2251
Great idea, DONE!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2021, 3:41 PM

Well as of this morning while walking, in the rear parking lot of CHCH, there is absolutely no vehicles at all. They have officially moved. It made me excited to see a bare parking lot because it represents a new beginning of something great. Now we must wait for the demolition and so forth to take place.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 3:13 PM

Taken June 28, 2021
Soil testing in second location. First location was in the back parking lot where CHCH parked all their vehicles. Were there for 4 days. This second location seems the same length of time.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 3:45 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus83 View Post
Taken June 28, 2021
Soil testing in second location. First location was in the back parking lot where CHCH parked all their vehicles. Were there for 4 days. This second location seems the same length of time.

I won't be sad to see that "futuristic" part of the house go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton