HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 3:12 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
I'm not qualified to say what is good glass and bad, but I think the addition of this style will be great for the Gore. Obviously we don't want to tear down all of our heritage buildings and replace them with modern, but this will really add something.

This corner could look really good once this is done- that's not the case now. It will be a cool contrast between this and the well-preserved building kitty corner. When the bingo hall is redone, this will be a great spot.
I like when a combination of old and new is done - like when they entirely glassed in those architectural buildings in toronto - or when they built that fusion stone and glass building on main and john st

I shall reserve my judgment until it is done - now if only someone would renovate the building beside it - embassy - it's slowly rotting inside and nobody seems to care - I don't think the grand chandelier even works anymore..

that and it's dirty.. oh so dirty.. in so many ways..

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:22 AM

It would be somethin' (and highly unlikely) if they did something along the lines of this.

619 Queen St W. in Toronto by good ol' Quadrangle Architects.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 4:38 PM
Hamilton Historian

I like what the cream coloured building did beside it- with the pillars between the glass wall - when its entirely glass wall it just feels like lazy architecture lol

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 5:18 PM

This went out for construction bids in March, so I'm guessing we'll see site action very soon. The facade looks to be a unitized curtain wall system in three colours of glass with stone accents as well as metal paneling. Looks pretty slick if you ask me. Will be nice to have some glass in Gore Park. It's also worth mentioning that this is technically an addition to the old TD bank building. They are demolishing the top floor of the existing building, and constructing 3 additional floors above the remaining 2 floors for a total of 5.

\

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 6:02 PM

Yes, yes. Was wondering about this one lately, definitely another worthy addition to the Gore.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 10:03 PM
Hamilton Historian

better than the peeling structure that's there I suppose.. nice that they are adding more floors onto it- hamilton is slowly growing upward

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 12:18 AM

Oh geez..."two shades of grey". Serious? What's with local architects and their love for the worst colour on planet earth??

The blue renderings a few pages back were wicked. More grey coming to the city. Yay....

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 2:08 AM
Ham-burgher

The render looked grey to me. Blue tinting seems to be the illustrator capturing some reflection of the sky, especially on the west face.
(and the first set of elevations posted here in the thread also noted "shades of gray")

If it looks like this, I think it will be a stunner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
From the twitter account of Joey Coleman

New planning file for discussion. Effort Trust proposing demo and new building at 46-50 King East.

This is the old Canada Trust building south side of King at Hughson.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 4:05 AM

Here's a more up to date/detailed render

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 11:01 AM

The north east and South West corners wall schematic looks to be different than the most recent render, wonder which one prevails. I like the break out

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 12:46 PM

if you cover everything but the bottom 2 floors on the front of the rendering you can see the true colour.

Not sure why city hall continues to approve projects with beautiful renderings that don't accurately depict how the building will look. Sure, the blue reflection may be there on a nice sunny day, but our 4 month winter period is made that much worse by al the beige and grey buildings around the city.
Vranich has used this tactic perfectly: blue glass renderings, that turn out to be gross in real life.
Let's hope for some sort of nice tinting to the grey here being right on the Gore.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 7:27 PM

Also noting that the glass will be curtain wall, not window wall which was used on the Connaught, regency, William Thomas. This is frameless glass which should immediately make a difference in the way it looks. I have a feeling these panels will look more like smoke glass than just dark tinted.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 12:38 AM

I for one prefer the grey/black over the brown/tan that has been so prevalent over the last 30 years. Colour can work but the builder REALLY needs to know what they are doing.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 8:08 PM
Hamilton Historian

that render does not appear to match the architectural drawings - they got rid of the extreme angle up beside embassy.. looks like they have tamed down the architectural elements..

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 11:05 AM

Anyone have connections with Effort Trust to see if they will do this one in advance of their Main Street West Proposal

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 5:59 PM

I believe this one is closer. 46-50 King is the only project that has building permits issued.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I believe this one is closer. 46-50 King is the only project that has building permits issued.
Wonder what happened here , small one .

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Wonder what happened here , small one .
Safe to say it's the City's fault...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 6:12 PM

Perhaps a debate about buildings that front onto the Gore and that they should replicate or be similar to some of the Victorian era buildings that are close by... I recall the photos of what used to sit at that corner... maybe someone at City Hall wants this back

from Hamilton Public Library

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 6:21 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Perhaps a debate about buildings that front onto the Gore and that they should replicate or be similar to some of the Victorian era buildings that are close by... I recall the photos of what used to sit at that corner... maybe someone at City Hall wants this back

from Hamilton Public Library

Noone will ever rebuild a victorian building from scratch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton