HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 3:06 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
Does anybody agree with this? Can you visualize from the photo link above how this will appear? Anybody?
No sorry, as someone who lives in The Olympia and someone who frequents Sam Lawrence Park, I feel the view will only get better and more interesting with more highrises/skyscrapers being built in the core including these developments in Corktown..

I would be completely against chopping any buildings height to preserve this existing view. A view of what exactly? It's not like we're trying to preserve a view of beautiful mountains or a waterfalls or a beach or a significant monument... it's just a view of other buildings!? Nothing worth stopping progress over in this area! The Park will still be there for people to enjoy and you only need to look more north-easterly if you want "that view" of something more worth preserving which is the view of Lake Ontario & Toronto in the background with no tall buildings to block.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 6:20 PM

Totally agree. The buildings will add to the view, not take away from it. While simultaneously adding residents to the neighbourhood that will spend money at local restaurants and bars.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 10:03 PM

Imagine the view from Mount Royal in Montreal with the Horizon Tower, the McIntyre Medical Building, and Condominium Le Noble all being equal to the height of the viewing terrace. It would completely obscure the panorama of the city skyline. As the crow flies, Dorchester Square to Mt Royal is the same distance as Gore Park to Sam Lawrence Park. Building a wall in front of that view would certainly be a disservice. Is green roofed midrise development that bad for corktown?

https://goo.gl/maps/yrsk8ziCZg9p9oCs5

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 4:03 AM
Hamilton Historian

Every other city seems to understand that the closer to the core you get the higher the buildings rise, and the farther away you get the more they peter off. I am usually not a huge fan for buildings so huge they cause no light to enter the city, but I do believe RIGHT in the center - like eatons center area - they should be towering - so when you see the city from far away the building complexes rise up like a pyramid and peter away at the sides - this is just good city aesthetic - something to draw the eye from far away.

Also some good staggering of heights is always good.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Every other city seems to understand that the closer to the core you get the higher the buildings rise, and the farther away you get the more they peter off. I am usually not a huge fan for buildings so huge they cause no light to enter the city, but I do believe RIGHT in the center - like eatons center area - they should be towering - so when you see the city from far away the building complexes rise up like a pyramid and peter away at the sides - this is just good city aesthetic - something to draw the eye from far away.

Also some good staggering of heights is always good.
100% agree !! I have said this in the past and will say it again.... Hamilton should fear not about turning into New York city or Hong Kong in terms of skyscrapers......IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! people's fears that the views will be blocked are illogical and baseless.... Sure we may get a few towers edging up the skyline and causing a shadow or two ...but we simply will never become Toronto/New York/Hong Kong/Dubai..... The escarpment and the lake are massive enough to sustain vistas and views no matter how many towers are added to Hamilton's skyline

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 2:37 PM

This argument is the definition of NIMBY.

You don't think at one time some Montrealer said the new commercial office tower construction obstructed the views of the St. Lawrence from Mount Royal?

Or the view of the Lake was ruined from Casa Loma because of the apartment building boom of the 70's in Toronto?

Or the natural landscape around Hong Kong was ruined because of the highrises?

Come on, cities evolve. Hamilton needs the development much more than it needs some view - which arguably would still be there or be improved with these buildings. The economic benefit of having thousands of downtown residents far far far outweighs the view it may slightly obstruct from certain angles.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 4:10 PM

Thoughtful consideration of design is not the same thing as Nimbyism. The failure of the height limit is that every developer wants to build 30 storeys. The city is embracing monotony with a smile and a handclap and we deserve better than this. Things we preserve are of equal or perhaps greater value than the things we build. I 100% agree that places like City Centre should have height. I'd say one or two 50 storey towers on that property would fit perfectly. You could even get 15 storeys of affordable family oriented apartments in there.

If I build a 7 foot tall fence and stand right next to it I can't see beyond it. The trees are blocked. If I stand back I can see the trees. There are better alternatives to this proposal on this spot.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Thoughtful consideration of design is not the same thing as Nimbyism. The failure of the height limit is that every developer wants to build 30 storeys. The city is embracing monotony with a smile and a handclap and we deserve better than this. Things we preserve are of equal or perhaps greater value than the things we build. I 100% agree that places like City Centre should have height. I'd say one or two 50 storey towers on that property would fit perfectly. You could even get 15 storeys of affordable family oriented apartments in there.

If I build a 7 foot tall fence and stand right next to it I can't see beyond it. The trees are blocked. If I stand back I can see the trees. There are better alternatives to this proposal on this spot.
I just don't think we should be putting artificial limits on any design really. If the market is demanding tall towers, let them be built. Bureaucracy has done nothing but stifle advancement of this city, and it's a shame. The city council has far too much sway in these projects.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I just don't think we should be putting artificial limits on any design really. If the market is demanding tall towers, let them be built. Bureaucracy has done nothing but stifle advancement of this city, and it's a shame. The city council has far too much sway in these projects.
The only concern I have with that is my lack of faith in developers being set loose and unchecked. A terrifying thought.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
The only concern I have with that is my lack of faith in developers being set loose and unchecked. A terrifying thought.
Well I think they should be involved, but only as much as needed. For example, the city council struck down the proposal at Corktown Plaza, when in reality there was nothing wrong with the development whatsoever. Now, the developer seems concerned about the changes the city is requiring and may abandon the project entirely. Why did the city do this?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Well I think they should be involved, but only as much as needed. For example, the city council struck down the proposal at Corktown Plaza, when in reality there was nothing wrong with the development whatsoever. Now, the developer seems concerned about the changes the city is requiring and may abandon the project entirely. Why did the city do this?
Idk. You should get in touch with Jason Thorne for those answers. I'm fine with it though. Both of these projects could still go ahead and be successful at 10 to 15 storeys like much of the surrounding neighbourhood. Put a green roof and rooftop amenities all while preserving the vista from a new and improved Sam Lawrence Park. Win! Win!

Anyway, take care. Looking forward to an exciting 20211 for Hamilton.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Idk. You should get in touch with Jason Thorne for those answers. I'm fine with it though. Both of these projects could still go ahead and be successful at 10 to 15 storeys like much of the surrounding neighbourhood. Put a green roof and rooftop amenities all while preserving the vista from a new and improved Sam Lawrence Park. Win! Win!

Anyway, take care. Looking forward to an exciting 20211 for Hamilton.
Fair enough! Either way, at least we're getting some developments in the city!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:34 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Fair enough! Either way, at least we're getting some developments in the city!
To be fair - from street level the first 6 stories are all that people ever see in their field of vision - anything above that is just a matter of how much people crane their heads up to look at, and only makes a difference from the views outside the city, or from far away, not in.

I, like many people here, just worry that it's going to look like a field of trees you sheared the tops of regardless of elevation - one or two buildings popping higher than the rest isn't going to kill anyone - but they should be the exceptions to the rule, and noteworthy designs. Otherwise 40 stores becomes the new normal, then 50, then 60, etc. Our current highest is meh, and for me the only building I notice coming into the city is now the george st one -- because it was actually designed with aesthetic and subtleties in mind. And colours that actually pop out. I mean what is up with all the beige and brown designs in the city?

Anything along james st should be allowed to be towering imo. King is a bit more tricky east of james st, but west it's already a mess so go nuts lol. East of james on main could be towering though.

Last i checked they had tackled these regions somewhat in the citys secondary plan. Not sure how that holds up to this day though.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 1:40 PM
Ham-burgher

Maybe we should have a "Hamilton Skyline Issues" thread for this kind of discussion. Or move it to Future Hamilton Skyline Renderings?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Maybe we should have a "Hamilton Skyline Issues" thread for this kind of discussion. Or move it to Future Hamilton Skyline Renderings?
good call

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 11:43 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Latter is probably a better idea.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 12:03 AM

"Well I'm going to disagree. I already think The Arkledun and The Olympia add negatively to the view from Sam Lawrence Park. The more that's added the more that view is impacted. I think green roofs on mid rises throughout Corktown would be a good deal of density while preserving those views."

As a recent resident of the Arkledun of over ten years, I was happy living there as were the other people I knew who lived there. I'm sorry if our abode ruined your view, but for me at the end of the day, people need to live somewhere and it was a great location, handy to the GO and a short walk to downtown. Rental apartment rates have gone crazy now in the city and we need more supply to at least stop the crazy increases.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 1:54 PM

I have not seen this render before. Found on Urban City. Have they scaled back the height to appease the city?

https://urbanicity.com/hamilton/deve...-condominiums/

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 2:38 PM

It would seem like we all missed the resubmission of the visual impact assessment.

https://urbansolutions.info/wp-conte...submission.pdf

Last edited by TheHonestMaple; Oct 27, 2021 at 4:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 3:08 PM
Ham-burgher

With the point about crickets in the Corktown Plaza thread, I was thinking about this one too.

Anyone know of any updates?

I feel like the two will happen together. Which won't be a bad thing... keep the disruption of John St. and some of the east-west roads to a minimal time span.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton