HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 2:59 AM

Yeah I like unique names that have meaning to the city or area. Like Arsenal based on the munitions depot or Crystal Palace and so on. So I love some of the great names in the CPL like Pacific, Forge, Valour and Cavalry.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
"Electric City FC" that name is awful
Peterborough's nickname in the distant past was "The Electric City" as it was the first town in Canada to use electric streetlights.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 2:38 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
"Electric City FC" that name is awful
Far better than Peterborough FC or Peterborough United or Peterborough City.

With ECFC announced yesterday it's rumoured that Simcoe Rovers FC will be announced today also for L1O for 2022. They'll play out of Georgian College's campus in Barrie and be direct competitors with Barrie 1812.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:01 PM

Canada now ranked at number 48 (FIFA) and 32 (ELO)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Yeah I like unique names that have meaning to the city or area. Like Arsenal based on the munitions depot or Crystal Palace and so on. So I love some of the great names in the CPL like Pacific, Forge, Valour and Cavalry.
Valour is original but it's still cheeseball as hell. I could understand if the club was originally founded by war vets or something, but it's a manufactured name meant to seem like there is a connection. "Stolen" Valour is more like it. Should have just gone with Winnipeg FC, Red River FC or whatever if they wanted the Euro inspired name. Or they could have just gone against the grain and called themselves the Winnipeg Destroyers, full stop

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:06 PM
Community Guy

Pre-sales are now open for both soccer games in Edmonton.

Costa
https://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/11...M2MDYxODkxNwS2

Mex
https://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/11...M2MDYxODkxNwS2

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Valour is original but it's still cheeseball as hell. I could understand if the club was originally founded by war vets or something, but it's a manufactured name meant to seem like there is a connection. "Stolen" Valour is more like it. Should have just gone with Winnipeg FC, Red River FC or whatever if they wanted the Euro inspired name. Or they could have just gone against the grain and called themselves the Winnipeg Destroyers, full stop
Did not know that. I was assuming some military connection. Still love the name though. Too bad there isn't a genuine meaning like Brampton Battalion as there is an Armoury in DT Brampton. You would on occasion see a camo jeep driving around in Brampton.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:57 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Just got myself 5 tickets for the Costa Rica game through the presale. Hope we get a great crowd out!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Did not know that. I was assuming some military connection. Still love the name though.
Only a minute long, watch to the end and all will become clear.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Only a minute long, watch to the end and all will become clear.

Video Link
So are you saying there’s at least a loose connection to the name? There’s a road in Winnipeg called Valour so let’s go with that name or is the story of these fellows well known in the ‘Peg and so there’s more of a connection? I hope it’s the latter because it’s always better when names mean something to the area. Even better if the stadium was nearby or one of the founders was from their regiment.

The name Raptors is cool because it sounds cool and no team had that name before so I was good with that even if there aren’t Dino bones being found while excavating for the next condo going up beside the arena. So I still like the name Valour regardless because because it sounds cool and no one has had it before. And you can at least draw a narrow connection to it if you’re trying to pay homage to the military.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 5:57 PM

The club's identity is heavily linked to the story of Winnipeg's Valour Road, and named to recognize Corporal Leo Clarke, Sergeant-Major Frederick William Hall, and Lieutenant Robert Shankland, who all lived on the same street and received the Victoria Cross for acts of bravery during the First World War.

The letter "V" in the centre of the crest emulates a folded medal ribbon and also represents the meeting of the Red River and Assiniboine River in Winnipeg. The right side of the "V" creates a "W" for Winnipeg, and the circle under the "V" is in the shape of the Victoria Cross medal. The wheat at the top of the crest represents Manitoba's agricultural industry.

The official club colours are maroon, gold and black (branded by the club as "Valour maroon," "wheat gold," and "earth black"). These colours symbolize the ribbon of the Victoria Cross and the wheat fields and soil of the Canadian Prairies.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 7:37 PM

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 8:08 PM
Community Guy

Based on yesterday's presale map I'd guess they are already at 20-30k.... here's hoping for 40k.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:29 PM

I'm not sure if they have relased everything now but there is hardly anything left! Great support from the Edmonton crowd and beyond. I'd say that amazing win and atmosphere last Wedesday has created a full-blown hype. I don't think you can discount the fact that Sportsnet picked up these WCQ games as it brings the game to a bunch of casual fans who wouldn't watch otherwise. I would love to see it on CBC but I guess not enough commercial breaks for their liking.

Anyone think Ted Lasso is bringing some interest to the beautiful game?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
I'm not sure if they have relased everything now but there is hardly anything left!
I don't doubt that ticket sales are going well but I find Ticketmaster doesn't show everything that's available on the seat maps. At one time they did but I guess they realized it wasn't the greatest for marketing to show sections that might be entirely empty, etc.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 12:14 AM

Well if they have sold out most of the lower bowl and most of one of the upper decks they probably are already looking at crowds close to 40,000 per match at this point. Impressive considering it will be mid-November in Edmonton! I'm sure they will sell quite a bit more and if the weather is reasonable...say a few degrees above zero, than I'm sure crowds will approach 50,000 per match.

Glad to see tickets are priced reasonably.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Well if they have sold out most of the lower bowl and most of one of the upper decks they probably are already looking at crowds close to 40,000 per match at this point. Impressive considering it will be mid-November in Edmonton! I'm sure they will sell quite a bit more and if the weather is reasonable...say a few degrees above zero, than I'm sure crowds will approach 50,000 per match.

Glad to see tickets are priced reasonably.
Mexico game is sold out and CR game just a few pairs and singles. Lots of people travelling in for the game but I'd say the vast majority of seats were probably bought locally, speaking to the sporting culture and support in E-town. I'll be watching this one from the comfort of my home as I couldn't justify flying out there only to have the thing cancelled due to FIFA-unsuitable weather. Anyone know what the temperature/snow criteria are for cancelling a match?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 2:05 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't doubt that ticket sales are going well but I find Ticketmaster doesn't show everything that's available on the seat maps. At one time they did but I guess they realized it wasn't the greatest for marketing to show sections that might be entirely empty, etc.
Seats are opened up depending on what's already sold and on demand. They'll essentially phase rows and sections open once certain thresholds are met.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 4:28 PM

World Cup qualifying games in Edmonton quickly selling out
'Without a doubt, without question, when Edmonton gets behind something, the city is absolutely the best in the entire country'
Terry Jones edmontonsun.com October 24, 2021

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:32 PM
Community Guy

Great to see. Let's pray for decent weather.

I still find it absurd to be playing outdoor soccer, in mid-November, in Edmonton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada