HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:21 AM

Hey, does anyone know if the Lycée Français de Chicago is still going forward with their new Krueck+Sexton designed campus? It looks like K+S scrubbed it from their site...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 7:28 AM
TL;DR

Could be signs of a dispute. AFAIK, Lycee is still moving forward on a new school.

Demolition on Ravenswood Hospital is scheduled to begin in two weeks.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 8:04 PM
Windy City Dan

1030 W Madison rehab turned out nicely.

Also noticed across the street some dirt is being moved, not sure what this is, anyone know?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 8:17 PM
The City

^ Not sure, but what is the construction site in the background of that second picture?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 8:53 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Not sure, but what is the construction site in the background of that second picture?
CA23 phase 2

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 9:20 PM

^^^
Pretty nice to see some new construction condos go up.

A Joe Zekas interview with a guy at Belgravia about the development that was informative. Pretty amazing how quickly these are going - just goes to show that there are some niches that still have some demand.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 10:58 PM
Urbane observer

I was out on East Wacker yesterday and noticed five cranes visible from one point.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 1:37 PM

Why are they doing core testing west of the Tides?

. . .

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 3:41 PM
you know where I'll be

^ must be for the school, no? If this is really where the school is going, I'm fascinated to see what bKL (I think they got the job) comes up with on such a small footprint, for a school...

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 7:48 PM
TL;DR

Chicago Architecture Blog reported a rumor about a giant elevator to allow whole classes of children to move between floors, like Norman Foster's gallery in NY. So I'm guessing we're gonna get a very tall, slender building with maybe 1-3 classrooms per floor, and a gym/lunchroom space up at the top.

This will be an incredibly unique building - it has to be, given the tiny size of the lot. Looking forward to the solution BKL comes up with.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 7:55 PM

^^^
It's gonna be another box. Not that their boxes aren't great, I'm just not getting my hopes up for anything that can't be described as "elegantly simple." I honestly think Ronan or Gang (as well as some non-chicago firms that come to mind) would have been better for a school that will doubtless want a showstopping design and not something that a few architecture nerds will merely acknowledge as elegant.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 9:35 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

With the A/C technician on the hot, dry roof today, thought I'd share some progress on Sara Lee. Mullions look very plain, but I'm loving it nonetheless.

IMG_3373 by daprato02@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 11:09 PM

Here is a curious little nugget - maybe the first time Carroll Street has ever come to the surface in the context of retail or any kind of public-facing use. (I know there is public parking accessible down there, but that's generic and relevant only to people working or visiting the immediate vicinity.) I believe the only other widespread awareness of Carroll Street would have been in the context of transit corridor, and the two or three stations that would be placed on it, but that of course was in a planning context and has years to go before it pierces common awareness.

So it's nice to see a bit of retail activation there. Of course, there's still a giant dumpster sitting next to the planned Carroll Street "VIP" entrance of this new restaurant, but over the years some interesting spaces could be built along this quasi-subterranean alley, which could even potentially get beautified a bit.

FYI, the below-mentioned restaurant is not in an old loft; it will occupy the ground/basement levels of The Sterling's parking garage, I guess underneath the CVS -- I'm not sure what on earth that space was used for during the decade since it was built. It's nice that even new towers are capable of having unique, funky loft-ish uses. (And no, I have no interest in this restaurant, I'm just excited about activating long-moribund space/alleys in River North.)

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...fashioned-pies

Untitled: Scheduled to open in June at 111 W. Kinzie St. in River North, ... 18,000-square-foot restaurant is going for a supper club and speakeasy vibe. Expect “cocooned” dining booths, leather-tufted walls and decorations such as steamer trunks and old factory carts. There's even a “secret” entrance in the back from Carroll Street.

-------

http://chicago.eater.com/archives/20...dy-to-open.php

Untitled Restaurant, Lounge & Music 'Speakeasy' Coming
Thursday, May 17, 2012

Back in late March, Eater got an exclusive walk through of a massive, raw sub-grade warehouse space in River North that would make any restaurateur or club owner shiver with excitement. Unfortunately, at the time, the project was still very much on the down low that it wasn't ready to be revealed. The concept, named the elusive Untitled with a swank lounge, private dining cabanas, entertainment venue, whiskey library and more is getting ready to open its doors sometime in the next few weeks.
One of the more exciting features of Untitled will be the separate VIP entrance and ivy-walled-in patio off of Carroll Street, accessed from an underground tunnel from a ramp off LaSalle Street. Guests will be given a special code to gain entrance through a winding hallway walled by bourbon barrel staves.

This entrance will lead to an exclusive backstage area, backed by a wall of glass doors, behind a performance space where nightly shows—burlesque, DJs, jazz, blues and more—will take place. The main performance area, which is separated from the dining room by a 20-foot movable wall, will have a dance floor, a stage with maple floors and surrounded by natural brick and private booths where a mobile DJ will roam the space. ...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 5:04 PM
THAT Guy

A 1 or possibly 2 story retail building across the street on Halsted

Nordstrom Rack - Sheffield and Weed

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 5:16 PM
The City

I just don't get it.

North and Clybourn--urban or suburban?

What's the plan here? You have good stuff like the renderings above, but then you have strip malls. Is anybody manning the helm on this one?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 6:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
North and Clybourn--urban or suburban?
Hybrid?

This doesn't look that bad. Then again, this is a conditioned response. N/C is just that bad otherwise.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 6:58 PM
TL;DR

Is there any info on the residential component of New City? I'm curious about the rowhouses south of Eastman. They show up in some renderings but not others. The very fact that they are included shows how the architects are thinking urban, though.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 7:26 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
North and Clybourn--urban or suburban? What's the plan here? Is anybody manning the helm on this one?
No. Chicago doesn't do California-style Specific Plans. Actually, no place other than California does. Chicago does not have urban design review. You can imagine the howls on this board if it did.

What gets built is somewhere between what the developer thinks the market will support and what the zoning forbids. That's how cities work. No one person is in control.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 7:37 PM
The City

^ Which is why I wish the zoning code simply forbade strip malls in a certain core zone of the city. The Loop is not enough.

Simple solution.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 8:33 PM

Wonder if the low retail structure on Newcity could support a tower in the future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development