HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 12:11 AM
this could have been...

Hi everyone,
I'm a fairly new poster; love this website.
here's a link to some Tempe info which I hope is informative
and not old news:

http://www.tempe.gov/comdev/WeeklyUpdate/10AUG07.pdf
http://www.tempe.gov/comdev/WeeklyUpdate/10AUG07.pdf

PS - i hope i did the link correctly. sorry if i did not.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 2:54 AM
tempe_native

Cool updates in that pdf, thanks for the link! I'll see if I can attend that public forum on that Sept. 12th if I don't have too much homework then!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I agree that it's terrible to tear down the theatre without replacing it with another one. Part of the draw of living in a downtown area is having amenities you can walk to. I don't think anyone wants to live in an area of just high rise residential and offices then have to get in the car to see a movie or get something to eat.
I agree the theater should be retained or at least replaced with another theater, but I'd love to see the development north along Mill torn down, with the nasty fountains and concrete jungle plaza behind Body Works. Is this part of the land owned by DMB? Or is it just the area further south and east to the theater?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 7:16 PM
tempe_native

New

I thought I would break the silence on the Tempe message board.
There are new pictures for the design that was approved for the bridge crossing Tempe Town Lake in front of the new Tempe Center for the Arts. Looks really awesome! I do have to give it to Tempe, great cities also have great memorable bridges. Most in the Phoenix Metro area are very forgetable. But Tempe has the Mill Ave. bridge, and a couple unique bridges that cross the US 60.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 7:54 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdj View Post
I thought I would break the silence on the Tempe message board.
There are new pictures for the design that was approved for the bridge crossing Tempe Town Lake in front of the new Tempe Center for the Arts. Looks really awesome! I do have to give it to Tempe, great cities also have great memorable bridges. Most in the Phoenix Metro area are very forgetable. But Tempe has the Mill Ave. bridge, and a couple unique bridges that cross the US 60.

Thanks for the post! That is a nice rendering! I don't think any bridge in the valley will be necessarily great or memorable on the grand scale due to our lack of waterways, but they sure do add character to the area.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 7:55 PM
under the influence...

Nice, I wonder if they'll drain the lake, build this, and rebuild the dam all at the same time.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 12:24 AM

If I remember correctly, the dam isn't scheduled to be rebuilt for a number of years. Additionally, there is pump machinery and a number of steel panels set up so that they can actually do some work on (or replace) the bladders without draining the lake. The pumps can also allow the dam to overflow without draining the lake, for decorative purposes. Look for the dam to have water running over it when the Tempe Center for the Arts opens, or when there is a lot of rain.

Incidentally, the view from under the dam (on the concrete platform near the bladders) is actually pretty impressive.

I doubt they would have to drain the lake in order to build the pedestrian bridge anyway. The light rail bridge, which was just recently finished, didn't require draining the lake.

I must agree, this bridge looks pretty cool. Any idea who designed it? It looks like it's trying to be a Calatrava design, but I don't think it is.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 1:50 AM
-_-

wow, I love the design.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 3:37 AM

What?! They're demolishing the theater?! So there will no longer be a movie theater that ASU students can reach without driving? Great.

Arizona will never get out of the dark ages if everything is torn down for the latest fad every 20 years. The Centerpoint theater may be a bit outdated, but that's only because people in Phoenix are spoiled by stadium-style theaters*. Nowhere else are they tearing down all the "old" (and by that I mean pre-2000) theaters for new ones. I went to that theater all the time when I was at ASU, and I almost always walked (not to daytime movies during the summer, but that's a different story). That theater was one of the last remaining parts of downtown Tempe that actually catered to the students. It's a mistake to turn the area around the university into a yuppie playground that few students can afford to patronize (if they'd even want to).

* Seriously, what's the deal with this? Stadium-style theaters are nowhere near as common in Southern California, where they make the goddamn movies and where there are a lot more wealthy people and generally upscale things.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 3:47 PM

August 28, 2007
High-rise could tower above Monti's on Mill Avenue
Garin Groff, Tribune

Plans to redevelop the historic Monti's La Casa Vieja call for building a 24-story tower directly above the downtown Tempe landmark.

The restaurant is one of the state's most treasured landmarks - and a place history buffs have feared could be bulldozed to make way for a high-rise building.

Restaurant owner Michael Monti said constructing a building on top of the restaurant is the only way to preserve the beloved adobe building. Monti has struggled to make money in recent years as his loyal customer base ages and is turned off by downtown's urban transformation.

The high-rise proposal would let Monti keep the restaurant while allowing redevelopment of a property at the gateway to downtown.

"I view this project as saving that building by making that corner economically viable," he said.

Monti recently inked a deal to sell the La Casa Vieja building and about 2.5 acres of land to Scottsdale-based 3W Companies. The company's plans call for the new building above Monti's and a 26-story building to the west, with a total of more than 1 million square feet of available space. They'd each stand about 300 feet tall.

The high-rise concept got a less-than-welcome reception from the state's historic preservation officer, James Garrison. While historic building advocates generally acknowledge economic forces demand additions and changes, historic buildings are supposed to remain a dominant feature in a development, he said.

"It is hard to imagine that this would be compatible with the historic property," Garrison said.

The building is a rare - and perhaps the best - example of an adobe building from that era, Garrison said. He considers it the Valley's most important historic structure.

Downtown merchant Vic Linoff questioned why one of the towers needs to be built above the historic building.

The property is about 109,000 square feet, while the restaurant is just 13,000 square feet. The lot should be big enough to reconfigure the towers so they sit behind La Casa Vieja and frame the adobe building, said Linoff, who closely follows historic issues in Tempe.

"Why would you go over the top of it?" Linoff asked.

"Then you have no sense of context for that building at all. To me that is quite disappointing."

The chairman of Tempe's Historic Preservation Commission said he was initially shocked by the idea.

But Bob Gasser said he became more comfortable after talking with Monti.

Gasser, who dines at the restaurant and often sits at the same table, said he believes Monti genuinely wants to preserve the history of the place. The historic integrity could improve in some ways, Gasser said, by tearing down modern additions to it.

Still, he knows why Linoff and others won't want a building on top of Monti's.

"I can see why Vic would make that comment and I think a lot of people will," Gasser said. "But the idea of keeping a one-story building there is just not remotely realistic as much as we might like it."

La Casa Vieja was built in 1873 by Tempe founder Charles Trumbull Hayden, who also build the Hayden Flour Mill across the street. Carl Hayden was born in the house, going on to become a senator and one of the state's most important figures.

It is the Valley's oldest surviving building.

The home evolved into a hotel, store and a boarding house. It has been a restaurant more than a half-century, bought in the 1950s by Leonard Monti, Michael's father.

Monti figures the tower of condos and a hotel are just another chapter in the site's evolution.

"That is completely consistent with its use from the time that Carl Hayden built it," Monti said.

Some of Monti's oldest customers recall living in the building decades ago - and they'll still be able to see features from that era after the new building goes up, Monti said.

He is working to preserve the walls and the historic elements of the building, while replacing some homely fixtures. Two additions from the 1960s and 1970s, which make up about half the building, will be torn down.

He expects to keep his restaurant open at for at least a year before shutting it down while the tower is built.

Monti expects to open a more upscale restaurant that will better cater to the increasingly high-end offices and condos downtown. He plans to display many of the historic items he now has, only in a better way.

"Some people think a historic building should just stand alone like a historic display," Monti said. "A historic building is alive. It needs to be used and it needs to be experienced by the public."

The project faces several hurdles. The plan calls for putting 14 pillars inside the historic structure to support the tower, and their construction could cause significant damage.

But a newer plan is being drawn up that could reduce the number of columns or place all of them outside the building, Monti said.

Also, the tower above the restaurant is in an area where Tempe has called for buildings of 75 feet or less. The Federal Aviation Administration will also consider whether the buildings would be a safety hazard for airliners.

The city cannot prevent property owners from altering historic buildings or even tearing them down. But the city will consider the history and the property's key location as it evaluates the proposal, said Chris Anaradian, Tempe's development services director.

"It is the gateway to our downtown," he said. "We are keeping that in mind as well and expecting a really excellent project here."

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 5:23 PM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHOPL View Post
They'd each stand about 300 feet tall.
I would be extremely surprised if that height were ok'd. It's basically right in the flight path.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForAteOh View Post
I would be extremely surprised if that height were ok'd. It's basically right in the flight path.
My thoughts exactly.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 6:00 PM
tempe_native

I don't mind seeing that lot next to Monti's getting developed, surface lots don't belong in a downtown anyway. My guess, that 26 stories will be dropped in half, but I think no more than 16-18. I can also understand the decision to remove the "non" historic part of Monti's. But I can't justify "putting 14 pillars inside the historic structure to support the tower". With our engineering technology today, there has to be a way to build this without destroying the orginal building. Maybe a 1 or 2 story glass structure on top of Monti's would still highlight the building and add space if that's what they are looking for. And I agree with Upward, they are turning downtown Tempe into a "yuppie playground"

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 6:13 PM

I can't imagine that they could go higher than the Marina Heights development to the east (i.e. further from the runway). Marina Heights will only be 253 ft...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 6:54 PM

I would think the Onyx at 26 floors would be in the pathway as well. Personally I think a developer should take the history of that particular building into great consideration especiall with the available space down there on that lot. If they can build a 59 story building 900+ feet high with an open air atrium area ten floors high like the Citicorp building in New York in order to save a historic church then I think a small 26 story tower could extend over the building enough without any support columns to get the floor space they want without manipulating the current building. In fact I think that adds character to a site.

With Citysquare being 360' and Centerpoint being abou the same I think a little northward could see itself with a 300'er. Who knows though. Who's idea was it to put the airport in the middle of the city again? Between the noise it creates over every suburb and the restrictions it places on city growth I would have had no problem with the airport proposal a long time ago of high speed rail to an airport centrally located between Tucson and Phoenix.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 1:25 AM

I don't get it.
Why does the developer need to build on top of Montis?
-Seems like SunMerc all over again.
Also- why work with 3W until they move forward with University Square?
Do we want another empty lot in Tempe?
Earn some credibility first...
There is what- 97,000 square feet of land on that lot available for build- but you have to put pillars inside the restaurant to add a story on top?

Maybe this is developer tactics for City approval...
(Come with something nasty and negotiate down to get what you wanted in the first place)

I'm amazed.
Keep Montis in tact -if anything- restore it back to more of it's original form and call it a day.

Monti- if you're a reader still- think about this.... we have no history in Phx.
Tempe has the Mills which will be altered very soon, and Montis and some old red brick buildings that are becoming smaller and scarcer.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 1:58 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForAteOh View Post
The large butte to the immediate east is right in the flight path also. I think there may be some wiggle room for that location.

I think this building means a lot more than the Sun Merc.

Without adding another post, I will also voice that there is a new huge Harkins in the Tempe Marketplace a few miles away. Still not exactly walkable, but close. It is still sad the Harkins Centerpoint is going. Also, I hope Islands resurfaces... I love the burgers!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 8:30 PM

I feel like an old man that I will be "reflecting" on what Mill used to be like....
I know we have a few years before we will surely know if the new Centerpoint plan will pencil out-
But I will miss that Theater. I do not feel it is dated, and if it needs a simple face-lift, then do it. I do not think bucket seats are that important. It is one of the true Urban attractions to Mill Ave. It seems like we are stripping away all of the character just to toss in some better utilized (denser) uses of space. This doesn't always help.
We will lose sight of what Mill is.... or was....
I already miss the Islands and I will greatly miss Coffee Plantation and Unos too. Imagine fat Tuesdays will be gone too.
(end rant)

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 3:04 AM
-_-

it's funny, because a lot of what I am hearing about regretting the way that mill is changing I also heard back when i was at ASU in 98-03. I remember when living on campus in 98 and 99 reading articles in the daily press about people reminiscing about Mill Avenue and disliking the increasing corporate dominance, like when Changing Hands closed and Urban Outfitters opened etc.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 3:08 PM

More project renderings for Tempe:

1. LandSource's proposal for near Apache and Rural if I recall correctly:

2. The current Lumina Tempe rendering (formerly Armory Towers):

3. Preliminary renderings of Namwest's project on the north shore of Tempe Town Lake:

--don

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest