HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 6:56 PM

Is this Hamilton?

I found this photo on eBay, (no I'm not the seller) but while it says Hamilton, I think that's Dundas Peak in the background. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...E:B:SS:CA:1123

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 8:46 PM

Hard to tell. That bldg w/in the Escarpment would suggest against it, but the style of the house, along w/ the edge in the escarpment, would suggest it's in the South-East Crown Point hood, ie: London /Ottawa Grosvenor / Etc St South.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 10:24 PM
Concerned Citizen

It looks to me like it could be around Kenelworth Ave. like DC mentioned.

If you look above the houses up on the escarpment there is a building near the top. That building could have something to do with the railway line that ran up in that area. You would know better than me, but wasn't that the Caledonia line.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 10:56 PM

I have no doubt thats Dundas Peak in the top left. just over the treen and the house you can see some sand dune type features, There are still some traces of this in Dundas today.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
I have no doubt thats Dundas Peak in the top left. just over the treen and the house you can see some sand dune type features, There are still some traces of this in Dundas today.
I think we have a Weiner!!!
Now that you mention it, it def looks like the peak atop of Dundas/Greensville. I'm not very familiar w/ Dundas, sadly

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 3:54 AM

It sure looks like Dundas to me.

From what I figure, it has to be the west side of a north-south street, looking northwest (by the n'hood grid, not the compass). Checking to see if any current structures resemble that layout, I might have a contender.

Looking at Google Street view, there's Peel St N, just south of Park St. Viewing at a similar angle puts the peak in about the same place in the image. The house in the centre looks a bit like the 1941 pic, but quite a few changes if it is. The house on the right, however, looks quite a bit like the one in the old photo. Even the tree in the centre is roughly in the same location.

I'll throw this out to the expert panel here. Could that possibly be where the pic was taken? Next time I stop in Dundas, I'll have to check this out.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishap View Post
It sure looks like Dundas to me.

From what I figure, it has to be the west side of a north-south street, looking northwest (by the n'hood grid, not the compass). Checking to see if any current structures resemble that layout, I might have a contender.

Looking at Google Street view, there's Peel St N, just south of Park St. Viewing at a similar angle puts the peak in about the same place in the image. The house in the centre looks a bit like the 1941 pic, but quite a few changes if it is. The house on the right, however, looks quite a bit like the one in the old photo. Even the tree in the centre is roughly in the same location.

I'll throw this out to the expert panel here. Could that possibly be where the pic was taken? Next time I stop in Dundas, I'll have to check this out.
I was thinking of the same street, but Peel St N just north of Park St.

I was thought that this house was the one in the middle of the photo. But your location is also feasible, especially as there's a house on Park St that could be the grey house in the background on the left side of the photo

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 10:34 AM

Yep, that's Dundas. You can see the old gravel quarry below the escarpment.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 5:42 PM

I think it looks like mishap had it - #10 Peel St. N. The description is right on but just no link to StreetView. Got a poorly exposed cellphone snap of it but not sure how to post that here. Looks like they blew out the second tree to add the garage but the first little tree has done quite well. Whatever the house lost in charm through the extensive renovations is I suppose made up for in increased space. Who would know there was a lovely brick house under all that siding.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 12:31 AM

Three more photos from the same collection:

This one's easy: It's Bond Street North in Dundas. The tracks on the right are the old TH&B heading up to the stone quarry. (Google Street View)

Here's the Dundas Valley Golf Course

And a shot of the East end of Dundas

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos