HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 10:45 AM

Hamilton Bulldogs

So much for the NHL and the total disrespect shown to Hamilton.
Thank you to Mr. Balsillie for all his effort. Many suggest that the decision was influenced by Toronto and Buffalo.
We have a team here and it has the name Hamilton attached. We can shor that Hamilton has an interest in hockey and support the Bulldogs.
A family would spend a fortune for a trip to see the Maple Leafs but for $5 parking a 20 min drive if that and there used to be a 4 person family pack for $75 to see the dogs.
Ticket packs run for about $18 per ticket and their group rates are good, organized a company outing.
They always give you best available.
NHL thanks but no thanks.... Go Bulldogs

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 7:57 PM

...and all that doesn't change the fact that they're still Montreal Canadiens prospects.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
So much for the NHL and the total disrespect shown to Hamilton.
Thank you to Mr. Balsillie for all his effort. Many suggest that the decision was influenced by Toronto and Buffalo.
We have a team here and it has the name Hamilton attached. We can shor that Hamilton has an interest in hockey and support the Bulldogs.
A family would spend a fortune for a trip to see the Maple Leafs but for $5 parking a 20 min drive if that and there used to be a 4 person family pack for $75 to see the dogs.
Ticket packs run for about $18 per ticket and their group rates are good, organized a company outing.
They always give you best available.
NHL thanks but no thanks.... Go Bulldogs
For hamilton fans i hope the rumors are not true the bulldogs may be moving at seasons end.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post
...and all that doesn't change the fact that they're still Montreal Canadiens prospects.
you would rather have them be leafs prospects ?!?!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 5:25 AM

Talking to a friend at the Bulldogs, they have decided to stay in Hamilton. Their next decision is whether or not to keep contracting out or bring all of the work back in house. At one time they had over 50 staff at Copps, now they only have 6. They contract out everything including ticket sales and the game day production.

My only concerns is that now that Michael Andlauer is now a part owner of the Canadians and alternate Governor and gets direct access to the NHL, what does he now know about the prospects of getting an NHL team in Hamilton?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 10:02 PM

as a leaf fan, I refuse to go to any bulldogs games. 2 seasons ago I went to about 4 games, and due to the low attendance, poor hockey play, and lack of energy in the building, it was such a discouragement.

Getting seating in row 19 in the corner in a section where I highly doubt any tickets were sold in that section is just mindboggling. Of course we moved around, but the just the empty arena, the fact it's an Ole Ole Ole' Habs farm team, makes this big leaf fan never want to waste it's money on it.

Besides, junior hockey is much better. I think an OHL team would do quite well in Hamilton, although supply and demand would have to be regulated, and with a lower bowl capacity of 8-9000, I don't think even OHL could ever be a good draw.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
as a leaf fan, I refuse to go to any bulldogs games. 2 seasons ago I went to about 4 games, and due to the low attendance, poor hockey play, and lack of energy in the building, it was such a discouragement.

Getting seating in row 19 in the corner in a section where I highly doubt any tickets were sold in that section is just mindboggling. Of course we moved around, but the just the empty arena, the fact it's an Ole Ole Ole' Habs farm team, makes this big leaf fan never want to waste it's money on it.

Besides, junior hockey is much better. I think an OHL team would do quite well in Hamilton, although supply and demand would have to be regulated, and with a lower bowl capacity of 8-9000, I don't think even OHL could ever be a good draw.
Why do you think it would do well in hamilton.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Besides, junior hockey is much better. I think an OHL team would do quite well in Hamilton.
We had the OHL twice, and both times the teams moved for smaller cities/buildings due to lack of support. Steelhawks moved to Niagara Falls to become the Thunder in 1988 and the Hamilton Dukes moved to Guelph in 1991.
http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/steelhawk.htm

Can't imagine that it would be any different now...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 4:27 PM
It's Hammer Time

Should have OHL in Dundas.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Should have OHL in Dundas.
"Gotta be Dundas"
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/690324

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 6:56 PM

go_leafs_go02
Some thought major jr would do well in the gta which it really has not.I can't see why hamilton why would do much better.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 7:58 PM

Dundas is as mad a hockey town as they come, but I don't know where an OHL sized rink would go. Burlington or Stoney Creek are probably better contenders for OHL teams.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 10:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

I think Dundas and West Hamilton could support a 7,000 or 8,000 arena for an OHL team.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Dundas is as mad a hockey town as they come, but I don't know where an OHL sized rink would go. Burlington or Stoney Creek are probably better contenders for OHL teams.
How is dundas a mad hockey market.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
How is dundas a mad hockey market.
Did I say Dundas was a mad hockey market? I said it's a mad hockey town, it's a real Canadian hockey town. The junior and senior teams play to a packed arena every game. It's an anachronism, it reminds me of when I was a kid in smalltown Southwestern Ontario. That doesn't mean they could support an OHL team or anything. I think that's unrealistic, but you can't say Dundas doesn't love the Blues and Real McCoys.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 5:59 PM

Quote:
I think Dundas and West Hamilton could support a 7,000 or 8,000 arena for an OHL team.
they can build an arena with help from Mcmaster...i hear mac has been thinking about creating a varsity hockey team.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 6:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yeppers I can confirm that. Think they are doing a study for the location. "David Braley Arena" is my bet.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Yeppers I can confirm that. Think they are doing a study for the location. "David Braley Arena" is my bet.
If that does become the case, I'll know that David Braley did not attend; http://raisethehammer.org/article/98...g_in_this_city

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 8:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Checked and it's still be considered for budgeting, "Sports Arena". It'll be offsite location.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 1:04 PM

Simple math

They claim in the Spec today that hockey revenue is at a major loss partly due to the failed bid and poor attendance at AHL games.
I really like the Bulldogs but to take your family there is a bit unrealistic considering the economy and common sense.
I was courious so I did a web search and found Hamilton the so called "hockey town" with enough support for an NHL team was 12th in the AHL with 4606 while Hershey is over 8000 and Winnipeg almost there.
In the OHL or major Jr A there are two teams with over 7000 (Ottawa {with a NHL team there too} and London) Kitchener is almost 6000 average a game.
So why is this? Location or price.
I check ticket prices and found Hamilton is one of the more expensive with a quick search however Manitoba was more by about $2.
The 3 teams I searched (Hershey, Rochester and Syracuse) was around $20 for the best seats while walk-up for Hamilton is $26 or $18 with a 20 ticket pack. One had a $10 ticket special.
So consider that a family wants to go out. $52 or the parents and $32 for 2 kids. That is just to get in and $2 for parking (John and Wilson). $86 plus refeshments
They used to has a family pack for $60 and it went up to $75
However check out Rochester
(Rochester, November 18)... The Rochester Americans announced today that the team, along with Zweigle’s, have revamped the Family Four Pack to offer Amerks fans a special edition of the package. With this game bundle, fans will receive four tickets for 200-End seating, four T-shirts, four hot dogs and four sodas for the low price of $52.
They have a $44 Sunday to get people out.
That is US dollars.
Maybe catering should stay in house to offer discounts.
So IMHO it is about butts in the seats plain and simple and to think of all the high priced help, BS artists and spin doctors. Yes it is tough times all around so use your noodle it's sale time. CUT YOUR PRICES DUH
Everyone in retail is feeling the pinch and cutting prices. More people buy more food. So concessions improve and the bid next year will go up.
People will try and justify the different priced seating and Toronto Marlies are overpriced also.
Simple solution to simple problem decrease price = more fans = more support = less cost to city.
Season ticket holder will be upset but give them (lots of) tickets (in lieu of refund) or concession vouchers to bring friends. family or donate to CityKidz or minor hockey teams.
For the size of this town why we don't have a OHL team amazes me.
Where is the common sense if I can't sell my cars I drop the prices give factory incentives group discounts well selling tickets is the same concept.
Go Dogs go

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation