HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 9:12 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy_Bork View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows about a rather large building being constructed by the Armitage off ramp of the Kennedy. It's at the former site of the Riptide lounge at Armitage and Hermitage. It appears to be a condo or apartment building.
New HQ of Bulley and Andrews

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 1:44 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

River Walk

In this article is the first render of the Lake-Franklin riverwalk segment I remember seeing of this kind.

http://www.loopnorth.com/news/riverwalk0311.htm

via LoopNorth.com

Between Franklin and Lake, Boardwalk (above), says Hill, will be developed, at least for now, into a lawn “for people to sit and relax.”

It will have a ramp that connects the Riverwalk to Upper Wacker Drive.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 2:29 AM
The City

^ I don't get it. If they are just going to build a lawn, then that will differ quite a bit from what is rendered.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 4:33 AM
TL;DR

The switchback was always going to be in the plan. My guess is that they've replaced the giant water feature with a sloped lawn where people can picnic or hang out, like a grassy version of the River Theater but hopefully not so steep.

That fountain looked very 90s, anyway... like something you'd see in downtown Houston or Providence, not very interactive.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 10:16 AM

It was probably mentioned here before, but Fletcher Jones is building a massive facility in River West no-man's land (i.e., the west bank between Halsted and Division), to be accessed from that little-travelled (and pregnant with potential) section of Elston between Chicago and Division.

www.fjchicago.com/elston-service-center

This will render obsolete the concrete monolith at Division and Northbranch, currently a Mercedes service center. Unfortunately though, they are marketing the building for other tenants starting in the fall, but we can hope it will be reclad (or torn down?).

The Elston service center is needed in part to support their large new Audi showroom at North and the Kennedy (under construction across from their existing Mercedes sales center), which will be devoted to sales and not support auto service.

The remaining question is what will become of their current Audi showroom at Clark and Maple, which was a pretty sexy reclad when they moved in several years ago. Assuming they vacate it, it's a great candidate for a Perillo expansion or some luxe follow up to the Aston Martin dealership already at the same intersection.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Fixed that for ya
This is not how neighborhoods are designed. That stretch of Broadway is not a large-sized commercial corridor, it is a quaint neighborhood street. This massive scale might be appropriate at North/Clybourn. It could not be more wrong here.

Last edited by VKChaz; Mar 13, 2016 at 12:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 8:15 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
It was probably mentioned here before, but Fletcher Jones is building a massive facility in River West no-man's land (i.e., the west bank between Halsted and Division), to be accessed from that little-travelled (and pregnant with potential) section of Elston between Chicago and Division.

www.fjchicago.com/elston-service-center

This will render obsolete the concrete monolith at Division and Northbranch, currently a Mercedes service center. Unfortunately though, they are marketing the building for other tenants starting in the fall, but we can hope it will be reclad (or torn down?).

The Elston service center is needed in part to support their large new Audi showroom at North and the Kennedy (under construction across from their existing Mercedes sales center), which will be devoted to sales and not support auto service.

The remaining question is what will become of their current Audi showroom at Clark and Maple, which was a pretty sexy reclad when they moved in several years ago. Assuming they vacate it, it's a great candidate for a Perillo expansion or some luxe follow up to the Aston Martin dealership already at the same intersection.
I'm fine with this, my only concern is that Elston or Augusta can be extended through the site in a few years as a traffic reliever to the new development around Chicago/Halsted...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Punch some windows in the upper sales floors and that would be a rather handsome adaptive reuse IMO. Is it still standing?
not even close. this is englewood im afraid.

also, blame Antunovich all you want, but the blame lies with Marianos for hiring them in the first place. they gave the client what they wanted. if these shit firms stop getting work and the clients gain even a modicum of urban sensitivity, the problem disappears. both deserve public flogging and shaming.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 4:37 PM
Show me the blueprints

It's astonishing to contemplate that 63/Halsted isn't the result of some war. Probably the most tragic loss story of any Chicago neighborhood. Seeing pictures of it brings me back to how sad and upset I would get when looking at the book Lost Chicago when I was a little kid.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:25 PM

^
and to add insult to injury, even more is being lost due to the rail yard expansion. one indignity after another.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 8:24 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
It's astonishing to contemplate that 63/Halsted isn't the result of some war. Probably the most tragic loss story of any Chicago neighborhood. Seeing pictures of it brings me back to how sad and upset I would get when looking at the book Lost Chicago when I was a little kid.
On the Facebook group "Forgotten Chicago" there have been a number of cool West Side buildings posted recently, showing vibrant, intact streets from the 1950s. It's really sad looking at those decimated, destroyed blocks today. It's incredibly sad to think what the West Side was like 60 years ago compared to today.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Do you want NIMBYs? Because this is how you get NIMBYs.
The NIMBYs were well aware of how this was going to turn out. I spoke to Michael Demetriou of SELVN about this while it was still being deliberated, and ultimately, they endorsed it despite being "deeply conflicted" about it. I suppose everyone was impatient with all of the prolonged rigmarole and legal drama that killed the prior proposals, and they were eager to have something there.

The real losers are the folks that live on Waterloo Court, whose homes are going to abut the ass end of the garage. The pitiful gesture of a "park" that they're putting there as a buffer isn't going to come close to ameliorating its presence.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:20 PM

Was McDs

Off the plaza between Trump and Wrigley - showing respect and deference to the neighborhood by embracing the BEIGE !

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:30 PM

More nonsense from Friends of the Parking Lots

Design changes sideline Maggie Daley Park restaurant project from Chicago Tribune

Quote:
Over the past year, the restaurant's design has been scaled back significantly. The square footage of the building was cut roughly in half, from 15,750 square feet to 8,000, according to the Park District. Additionally, the restaurant will be set back from Monroe Street about 37 feet, 5 feet farther than the plans called for last March, and the height of the restaurant was changed from nearly 25 feet to 23 feet 6 inches, the district said.

Moore said the group asked for the building's height to be reduced by another 10 feet, from 27 feet — counting the protective guardrail — down to 17 feet tall. But the Park District balked at the group's request.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
On the Facebook group "Forgotten Chicago" there have been a number of cool West Side buildings posted recently, showing vibrant, intact streets from the 1950s. It's really sad looking at those decimated, destroyed blocks today. It's incredibly sad to think what the West Side was like 60 years ago compared to today.
Well we all know Chicago is a mixture of tragedy and triumph. Most like tragedy in the lowest socioeconomic swaths and most like triumph in the wealthiest. The causes of which cannot be grasped by one simple explanation or cast of blame and could be debated ad infinitum.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
More nonsense from Friends of the Parking Lots

Design changes sideline Maggie Daley Park restaurant project from Chicago Tribune
why do we need another politically connected restaurant here anyway. let people patronize loop businesses.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Off the plaza between Trump and Wrigley - showing respect and deference to the neighborhood by embracing the BEIGE !

I walk through here often. Looks more like a primer or sealer than the final product. This space is being renovated into a sit down restuarant by Billy Lawless, whose other spots include The Gage and The Dawson. I'd expect some major exterior design changes...per crains:

Quote:
Changes to the building's exterior and the plaza's landscaping are being designed to accommodate Lawless' restaurant, she said.

“Ownership's goal is to make it more user-friendly and prettier,” Karr said. “It will continue all the great redevelopment work that the people at Wrigley did. It expands the Michigan Avenue experience when you can walk through that pathway and find a lovely dining experience instead of fast food.”
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...e-off-mag-mile

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 5:00 PM
Urbane observer

I wonder what possible justification there could be for resisting a fancy restaurant in the park?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 5:23 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
why do we need another politically connected restaurant here anyway. let people patronize loop businesses.
Agreed. I wouldn't call out Friends of the Parks on this one. This is a legitimate complaint--in fact I don't think there should be a restaurant there at all

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I wonder what possible justification there could be for resisting a fancy restaurant in the park?

Would you say that North Pond, the restaurant in Lincoln Park, is not a good idea then and shouldn't exist?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development