HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 10:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I wouldn't say $20 estimate is high end for access. I mean that's about how much I paid for two White Sox tickets last night.
its more about being able to access it in the first place.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
In other news, this is funny in the NIMBY chronicles. Residents of Dunning think a proposed 4 story, 30 unit building near Harlem & Waveland is too big. wtf? Oh, and it's replacing a tire shop. Residents think it will create too much traffic, but as someone pointed out in the comments - it's replacing a fucking tire shop.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...aws-complaints
After having a look at the monstrosity that Zitrella Builders put up next door, I too would be screaming from the rooftops to block these assholes from building another.

http://goo.gl/maps/enEsa

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
its more about being able to access it in the first place.
Access to the lake is free

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
After having a look at the monstrosity that Zitrella Builders put up next door, I too would be screaming from the rooftops to block these assholes from building another.

http://goo.gl/maps/enEsa
And it's also in Dunning almost near the suburbs, so it's not a massive deal. It's still better than a tire shop.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:54 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I'd be just like Blarney Island, but for people who still have all their teeth.

This idea is clearly not fully baked. Let's put it this way - I wouldn't be pre-purchasing any tickets for this for next summer! (not that I'd be purchasing tickets for such a cheesy attraction/experience etc in any event!)

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:09 PM

I'm not sure what bearing this MPC study has on the final outcome of the parcels in Uptown considered in the study, but the developer comments were intriguing: they consistently criticized the amount of parking proposed in proposals that contained a lot of it. Not surprising, as parking isn't a huge revenue generator and has a non-negligible cost to build...

There is a survey to leave your own comments about select proposals:

http://www.metroplanning.org/news/blog-post/6945

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
This idea is clearly not fully baked. Let's put it this way - I wouldn't be pre-purchasing any tickets for this for next summer! (not that I'd be purchasing tickets for such a cheesy attraction/experience etc in any event!)
Although I agree it won't likely be built in time for next summer, I would definitely want to check it out. The view of the city would be spectacular, and this would be no different than checking out a hot new spot in Chicago.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I'm not sure what bearing this MPC study has on the final outcome of the parcels in Uptown considered in the study, but the developer comments were intriguing: they consistently criticized the amount of parking proposed in proposals that contained a lot of it. Not surprising, as parking isn't a huge revenue generator and has a non-negligible cost to build...

There is a survey to leave your own comments about select proposals:

http://www.metroplanning.org/news/blog-post/6945
From what I gather, very little. If and when a developer moves forward on these parcels, the only obstacle to whatever development they choose will be the aldmerman's hand-picked zoning committee which is very much comprised of anti-density / pro-parking NIMBY types.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Click over to the actual kickstarter page... It is clearly NOT as half-baked as you think. Believe it or not, but Lake Michigan (and the Chicago River up to the Ashland bridge) is considered to be federally administered navigable waters and thus the US Coast Guard has #1 authority over it. And the Coast Guard has two designated anchorage zones right at 1 mile offshore, just inside the break wall, on either side of Navy Pier. In all honesty, all they need are the proper permits and certifications - the "zoning" is already in place for such a vessel/use.

Check out chart 14928 (http://www.charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/14928.pdf). 20 feet of water and a nice clean sandy bottom. A great place to drop anchor.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
Click over to the actual kickstarter page... It is clearly NOT as half-baked as you think. Believe it or not, but Lake Michigan (and the Chicago River up to the Ashland bridge) is considered to be federally administered navigable waters and thus the US Coast Guard has #1 authority over it. And the Coast Guard has two designated anchorage zones right at 1 mile offshore, just inside the break wall, on either side of Navy Pier. In all honesty, all they need are the proper permits and certifications - the "zoning" is already in place for such a vessel/use.

Check out chart 14928 (http://www.charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/14928.pdf). 20 feet of water and a nice clean sandy bottom. A great place to drop anchor.
Yeah, I don't know why people think this is a half baked idea. Yeah, the only other city to have it is Istanbul in the Bosphorus (see my post above for more information), but it's actually worked there and successful. The $30,000 for the kickstarter is basically to create materials to pitch to investors.

The architect for this is Jay Keller of SPACE, who is legitimate too and they have very legitimate people backing this idea.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 6:56 PM

Quote:
They've raised ~87% of funding on their initial kickstarter mid-day through the 2nd day (of 30). It'd be a very unique attraction for Chicago (or anywhere, for that matter). Can I say- I'm on boarrrrdddd?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 7:46 PM
you know where I'll be

I suppose.....whatever floats 'yalls boats.......(unable to help myself)

To me this has all the appeal of a Navy Pier for adults....a complete schlockfest full of the douchiest of society's douchebags.

What's interesting is that Istanbul as the lone model here actually makes all the sense in the world to me. Chock full of tourists with lots of petro $, but just as acute, a lack of taste or real culture....the type that get off on doing anything and everything that can even be misconstrued (as this would surely be in the off chance it becomes reality) as being or feeling "exclusive"......

Anyhow, now that this guy has raised a few bucks from a bunch of suckers to pay for some basic marketing material to actually try to finance it, let's see how quickly this goes.......absolutely nowhere (or slim chance it succeeds, and then this will provide endless laughs for the cultured set)...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 7:57 PM

Quote:
I suppose.....whatever floats 'yalls boats.......(unable to help myself)

To me this has all the appeal of a Navy Pier for adults....a complete schlockfest full of the douchiest of society's douchebags.

What's interesting is that Istanbul as the lone model here actually makes all the sense in the world to me. Chock full of tourists with lots of petro $, but just as acute, a lack of taste or real culture....the type that get off on doing anything and everything that can even be misconstrued (as this would surely be in the off chance it becomes reality) as being or feeling "exclusive"......

Anyhow, now that this guy has raised a few bucks from a bunch of suckers to pay for some basic marketing material to actually try to finance it, let's see how quickly this goes.......absolutely nowhere (or slim chance it succeeds, and then this will provide endless laughs for the cultured set)...
It's really no different than a new club opening. I've been to Istanbul 4 times and in no way is it chock full of tourists with petro money. Yeah there's some there but the majority are not like that in the least bit. Most people who go there are either from China, South Korea, or various parts of Europe like Germany, and some from areas like Saudi Arabia because the holy relics of Islam are kept at Topkapi Palace. Most are not wealthy, though yes there are some who generally will go to places like Club Reina. I don't know how you get off with saying that a bunch of rich people go there. It's the 3rd most visited city in Europe, but Chicago gets just as many tourists as they do per year these days.

And in the end, that's what some people want. Not everyone has the same tastes as you nor do you have to use anything. Do you complain everytime a new douchebag club opens? Probably not and this is private investment and really, if you're saying these words about this place, then think of it as a private club. It's possibly nothing more and no reason to complain about it IMO.

I think the design and concept of it is cool and I'd go there sometimes as long as the crowd wasn't too bad.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 8:27 PM
you know where I'll be

^ For the record, I do occasionally relentlessly mock the newest 'in' landlubbers' club and those attracted to such vapid societal ephemera.....just want to be perfectly clear that I don't harbor some type of innate venomous water body-based prejudice!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 9:08 PM

Does anybody know what is going up at Monroe and Sangamon? There is a lot of activity happening on that corner.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Does anybody know what is going up at Monroe and Sangamon? There is a lot of activity happening on that corner.
Yes, it was in the zoning board of appeals meeting from April.
* 914 W Monroe = 6 story, 8 unit building with 10 parking spaces
* 924 W Monroe = 7 story, 10 unit building with 12 parking spaces
* 23 S Sangamon = 7 story, 10 unit building with 13 parking spaces

They demolished a few buildings (industrial/warehouse use I believe) there in April/May. The owners are Sangamon Partners, LLC. With some Googling, it appears as if a managing member is Jason Vondrachek from Quest Realty Group. I found an article from last year and Crains talking about this:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...s-in-west-loop

Some more digging brought me to Curbed with these renders, which I'm pretty sure has been posted on here before (and this: http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...rly-reception/).

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 9:54 PM

I don't really have any opinion about the barge thing except I kinda hope it doesn't clutter up the lake view (that probably sounds nimbyish, though). The cribs are 2 miles out and they're pretty easy to see, and that's twice as far as they're talking about parking that aquadiscoteque.

Anyway, I just got back from the groundbreaking ceremony for the south loop British School. Nothing new ("groundbreaking"?) to report from it, building-wise. McCaffery might have made a fauxpas comment that might get social justice warriors up in a stupid tizzy so I'm hesitant to repeat it. I wanted to try to get a few minutes with McCaffery but I didn't have time. I'm going to see if I can line that up with the PR people.

Here's some shots of the model they had out.

Infamous staircase:

Dog prison:

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 9:54 PM

Thanks! Great info there. It's funny, I drive through this neighborhood almost daily for the past five years, and it's amazing at how little impact certain buildings made on me. I would have never known anything was missing! I guess if a block isn't used well for street level retail, it can be completely forgettable.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 1:01 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ Thanks for bringing back photos from the British School event.

Looks as bad as ever though, unfortunately. Also, that staircase is just ridiculous.

Anybody think there's actually a remote chance McCaffery can get the first RC rental tower out of the ground by the end of the year??

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 1:16 PM

Yeah, the British school has to rank up there as one of the biggest missed opportunities. The design context, park on roof, public pathway through the site, etc., should have been incredible incentives to think outside-the-box in terms of design.

INSTEAD, Antunafish has given us what appears to be an undistinguished, 2-story, manufacturing building that was renovated by a hack architect to make it look like something contemporary...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development