HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:30 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Interesting. Is its designation as largest based on surface area alone, or volume of water?
My guess would be surface area, since volume of water is nil for about half the year.

Lake Mead and Lake Powell are man-made offshoots of the Colorado River (Hoover and Glen Canyon dams), and down south, Roosevelt and Canyon lakes are man-made retention basins constructed after Roosevelt Dam was built, if I remember correctly?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:53 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
My guess would be surface area, since volume of water is nil for about half the year.
Yeah, I guess that makes a lot of sense I realize now that it was kind of a dumb question.

I remember visiting my sister who lives near Phoenix, and they would take us to Surprise Lake. It is legitimately referred to as a lake by locals, even though I'm fairly certain it is 100% artificial. It's 5 acres (.02 sq. km.), and 12 ft. deep at its deepest point. "Surprisingly" , it is an extremely popular fishing destination. The city regularly stocks it with fish species from all over, including largemouth bass, channel catfish, sunfish, rainbow trout, and white amur. It is even mentioned in the Outdoorsman Fishing Guides.

Source: Google Maps

Source: Outdoorsman Fishing Guides

Source: fishidy.com

The sign in the last one is kind of funny - it looks like the lake closes at 1:00pm (really, the '0' fell of, and it's 10:00pm).

Take that Canada, and all your 880,000+ lakes

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 7:05 PM
E pluribus unum

Nah, that's not a dumb question at all. I live about 30 minutes north of it and it's always kind of amused me that Mormon is technically Arizona's largest natural body of water when it's not even that well known compared to some of the other man-made lakes around the state.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 7:09 PM

Speaking of man-made lakes, the Salton Sea is the lowest elevation place in the US where you could buy a house and live full time. It's hotter than hell and full of tweakers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#North_America

Nearby, the 17th and 18th most topographically prominent peaks in the US are just 21 miles apart, across the Banning pass. Two sentinels guarding the eastern approach to Southern California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 7:16 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I honestly both misread and misspoke out of ignorance that the Missouri River was coterminous with the state border. I thought he was saying that the town was now in Missouri. I apologize.
It's confusing when rivers and states have the same names .

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Speaking of man-made lakes, the Salton Sea is the lowest elevation place in the US where you could buy a house and live full time. It's hotter than hell and full of tweakers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#North_America

Nearby, the 17th and 18th most topographically prominent peaks in the US are just 21 miles apart, across the Banning pass. Two sentinels guarding the eastern approach to Southern California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
I've been to the top of San Gorgonio (tallest peak in the LA area at 11503 feet) and under the right conditions you can see the southern Sierra and Mexico from up there apparently. Incredible hike and such a beautiful place

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I've been to the top of San Gorgonio (tallest peak in the LA area at 11503 feet) and under the right conditions you can see the southern Sierra and Mexico from up there apparently. Incredible hike and such a beautiful place
A neat oddity is that San Gorgonio is taller, but San Jacinto has the higher prominence. That's due to the key col (highest pass to higher ground) for San Gorgonio being 3,205' Soledad Pass south of Palmdale, while San Jacinto's key col is (not surprisingly) San Gorgonio Pass at 2,520'.

The deeper pass for San Jacinto makes up for the shorter mountain.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 8:56 PM

Makes sense! This is a really cool thread btw

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 9:14 PM
BANNED

The most western part of South America (81 W) is east of Florida's west coast (82 W).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
And two, West Texas covers a lot of area before there's a state capital closeby.
In Big Bend NP, the closest U.S. State Capital is still Texas' but the closest capital is outside the USA (probably Chihuahua, at first sight).

Buffalo and Miami and San Diego/Los Angeles are cities that are in that category too.

(And so are parts of NW WA, parts of ND and MN, northern Maine, etc.)

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
I wonder which interstate corridor has the most state capitals on it. From a quick look at a map it looks like 85 and 35 have at least 4 or 5 each.
I-95 passes in or near the capitals of Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Virginia and also the national capital if that counts for a 6th one. It's possible that it also passes within the Raleigh metro in NC (I'd have to check) so maybe we have a 7th one there.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 12:24 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

US 50 passes through the capitals of California, Nevada, Colorado, Missouri, Maryland and the US capital as well.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 1:13 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I-95 passes in or near the capitals of Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Virginia and also the national capital if that counts for a 6th one. It's possible that it also passes within the Raleigh metro in NC (I'd have to check) so maybe we have a 7th one there.
It passes through Johnston County and thus through the Raleigh MSA.

If you broaden to include all auxiliary routes of 95 (195, 295, etc.) either signed or unsigned, Annapolis is also included via interstate 595 (an unsigned spur to Annapolis coterminous with US-50 from New Carrollton). That makes 8.

I do believe that’s the highest total of any single interstate corridor and its auxiliary routes.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 1:16 AM

A transit related one:

The two busiest airports on the planet are Atlanta and Beijing Capital. Even pre-COVID, there are no direct flights between the two. (Delta flies to Shanghai Pudong, which is over 400 miles farther from Atlanta than a Beijing flight would be.)

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It passes through Johnston County and thus through the Raleigh MSA.

If you broaden to include all auxiliary routes of 95 (195, 295, etc.) either signed or unsigned, Annapolis is also included via interstate 595 (an unsigned spur to Annapolis coterminous with US-50 from New Carrollton). That makes 8.

I do believe that’s the highest total of any single interstate corridor and its auxiliary routes.
If we include former capitals, then I-95 is up to no less than twelve capitals-and-former-capitals, adding Savannah, Philly, NYC and New Haven, CT.

I think craigs has put his finger on the runner-up, U.S. Route 50.

What about I-80? From memory, it passes at least through Sacramento, Cheyenne and Harrisburg PA. And probably a bunch of "Flyover Country" capitals too.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 1:37 AM

Just checked I-80. Starting on the West Coast in SF, it passes through the capital of every single state it touches, until it enters Illinois after going through six capitals in a row, and then continues to NYC without going near any other state capital.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 1:50 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Just checked I-80. Starting on the West Coast in SF, it passes through the capital of every single state it touches, until it enters Illinois after going through six capitals in a row, and then continues to NYC without going near any other state capital.
I-80 doesn't pass through Carson City unless you include the recently-built 580 or count Reno/Sparks as the same metro area as Carson City (which the Census Bureau does not although there are a ton of cross-commuters between Reno and Carson City).

I-40 passes through the capitals of its 4 easternmost states.

The TCH must beat any US highway, right?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 2:03 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
If we include former capitals, then I-95 is up to no less than twelve capitals-and-former-capitals, adding Savannah, Philly, NYC and New Haven, CT.

What about I-80? From memory, it passes at least through Sacramento, Cheyenne and Harrisburg PA. And probably a bunch of "Flyover Country" capitals too.
Add Baltimore, Princeton, and Trenton as former National seats of government.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.his...-united-states

You can also add Charleston (SC), Exeter (NH), Fayetteville (NC), and Portland (ME) as well as a bunch of other territorial capitals, Native American capitals, and colonial capitals.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 2:25 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:

US 50 also used to pass through Salt Lake City until the 1950s when it was rerouted.

Last edited by craigs; Mar 7, 2021 at 4:20 AM. Reason: corrected decade

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 3:27 AM

Similar to Point Roberts, There is a Canadian island on the east coast that is only accessible via the USA. Campbello Island, which famously was home to Franklin D. Roosevelt's summer cottage.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8959.../data=!3m1!1e3

There is a small island off the coast of Newfoundland that remains a territory of France, and is a part of the European Union. St Pierre and Miquelon, home to about 6,000 french citizens, features regular ferry service to Newfoundland. As a result it is not unusual to see euro model vehicles in St. John's, and it is technically possible to drive to the European Union from North America, provided you count ferries.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...!4d-56.3234711

The fastest route to drive from Chicago to Boston is actually through Canada. (google maps says staying in Ohio is about 10 minutes faster, but google does not account for speed limit differences on the different highways. Going through Canada allows for a longer distance on the 75mph Michigan highways)
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chic...600825!3e0!5i2

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions