HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 11:07 PM

Let's take the Wayback Machine to the 1880s so we can visit the mystery location shown below.

"Cabinet Photograph of Paraffine Paint Co / P& B Roofing Warehouse Los Angeles"

eBay

As you can see the company's offices were located downtown at 5th and Spring St. but the location of the warehouse is a mystery. Luckily we have the street number of the warehouse, 711 - 715
but the name of the street remains a mystery.

-note the palm tree and the rather tall mailbox (or is it a sign?) on the far right side - - >

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 15, 2021 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 11:52 PM

rescarta.lapl.org

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

postscript

OK, I just looked at the 2nd old photographs again.

There appears to be a 'lens' (or screen?) several feet inside the frame that is slightly slanted downward. (but I don't think it's enough to make a difference)

Do see it? Does it look slightly slanted to anyone else or am I imagining things?

Obviously the dark space between the outer frame and this interior 'screen' worked as a shield from the sun so the image could be seen during the day.

Also too. . .surely something this large and out of the ordinary was reported in the local newspapers. (but so far, zilch)

Whatever it is. . this roof-top oddity has stumped all of us for years and is one of the very few mysteries that we haven't been able to solve on NLA.

Under magnification, it does look like there's a rear-projection screen housed within the box structure. There also appears to be a steel cable strung across the opening most of the way up. I don't see any provision for audio, so stills or silent movies likely were the video format.

Looking across the street, where the presumed audience would be, there was the Cherokee Building (now the Hollywood-Cherokee Building). The "T" intersection provides for a longer continuous sidewalk on that side of the Boulevard, which makes me wonder if it was a preferred area for viewing parades or whatever.

Meanwhile, note the apparent radio antenna mast supported by guy wires above or behind the United Airlines ticket office. The mast doesn't appear substantial enough for commercial broadcast (could be wrong here), so I wonder (a) if that's what it was, (b) what its purpose might've been and (c) if it had any relationship beyond proximity to The Thing.

For a smallish commercial building, The Virginia certainly had its share of interesting features.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanklem View Post
I conject it is a film projection viewer similar to large screens used today.
Besides the possible visual projector aspect, it could have also been an audio projector like a megaphone, possibly amplified electronically. The name of the building is the "The Virginia". Maybe that is a clue:

To wit, Frank Lloyd directed the film "THE HOWARDS OF VIRGINIA" in the late 1930s starring Cary Grant. Lloyd has his sidewalk walk of fame star almost directly in front of this building location at 6667 Hollywood Blvd. Could that have something to do with the building being called the "Virginia"? Maybe Lloyd had offices there or even an ownership interest (hence naming rights)? Anyway, his star is right in front of where it stood. Lloyd is best known for directing the 1935 version of Mutiny on the Bounty starring Clark Gable & Charles Laughton. Perhaps the gadget on the roof was an audio/visual device to promote his films?

Last edited by CaliNative; Yesterday at 8:42 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:53 PM

If I recall correctly, The Virginia was an apartment complex.

HossC posted this in 2014, indicating it was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Could this be the Virginia Apartments at 6629½ Hollywood Boulevard where John Ford once lived? The extract below is from a book called 'Print the Legend: The Life and Times of John Ford' by Scott Eyman.

books.google.com

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:29 PM

I did a Newspapers.com search of the address hoping for an article. Nothing, but here's what I gleaned and deduced from the photos:

6637 Hollywood Blvd: The Jade. No advertisements or mentions. Then Sontag Drugs after 1937.

6635 Hollywood Blvd: United Air Lines/Western Air Express ticket office. No mentions after 1937.

6633 Hollywood Blvd: Stern's Fine Furs. July 1937 ad states "Moving to 6659 Hollywood Blvd" and "Building Coming Down"

6631 Hollywood Blvd: Lichter's Deli. October 1937 article says moved to 6615.

6629 1/2 Hollywood Blvd: Unmarked door, probably to apartments on second floor, consistent with Martin Pal/HossC postings.

6629 Hollywood Blvd: 1936 ad for Dudleigh's Smoke Shop, then 1938 article stating Los Angeles Music Company moving into the Sontag Building.

6627 Hollywood Blvd: Edmund F. Richardson, Optometrist mentioned in article. Then starting in 1938, ads for musical instruments bought and sold.

So this reinforces what we already knew, and the mystery object dates to before the building was convert to Sontag Drugs in the early Fall of 1937. 6637-6631 Sontag, 6629 1/2 gone, 6629-6627 Los Angeles Music Co.

Cheers,

Earl

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos