HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
It's from the 1840s. Huge difference, and I for one am shocked that the corporate owner of a historic building would ever allow it to deteriorate until nobody cares if they demolish it.
Well it wouldn't be the first time. Remember, Irving owned the Fredericton Train Station and let that rot until a local group could finally take it over and repair it. Before that happened, it was on the verge of collapse.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
It's from the 1840s. Huge difference, and I for one am shocked that the corporate owner of a historic building would ever allow it to deteriorate until nobody cares if they demolish it.
No it's not. There was a church on the site which was torn down in 1941. Then the current building was erected.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 1:58 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
The company's presentation included a concept drawing for a small park on the site that would include features representing its history as home to a church dating from the 1840s.
Source

They were just going to leave it as open space? FFS. That prominent corner site deserves an occupied building to add density and life to the area - a park would have been redundant as the site is across the street from the Old Burial Ground and a block away from King's Square. I honestly would have been okay to see the building demolished if it meant a larger redevelopment (perhaps in tandem with the neighbouring lot), but given the circumstances I think the HDB made the right decision.

JDI badly needs some senior leadership that "gets it" with regard to contributing positively to the urbanity of the Peninsula and elsewhere in Saint John. As it stands they still own a number of vacant lots in the King Street East/Elliott Row area that have been underutilized since their new parking garage opened, and are ripe for infill. Unfortunately it's clear that they have no interest in developing their urban properties or even selling surplus lots to someone who would. So many wasted opportunities.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 8:45 PM

They want is for parking and a secondary entrance to their parking garage - the entrance is already built - go look at it - just fenced over. No subtlety there

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Well it wouldn't be the first time. Remember, Irving owned the Fredericton Train Station and let that rot until a local group could finally take it over and repair it. Before that happened, it was on the verge of collapse.
'twas sarcasm. I can't think of anything more predictable.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Source

They were just going to leave it as open space? FFS. That prominent corner site deserves an occupied building to add density and life to the area - a park would have been redundant as the site is across the street from the Old Burial Ground and a block away from King's Square. I honestly would have been okay to see the building demolished if it meant a larger redevelopment (perhaps in tandem with the neighbouring lot), but given the circumstances I think the HDB made the right decision.

JDI badly needs some senior leadership that "gets it" with regard to contributing positively to the urbanity of the Peninsula and elsewhere in Saint John. As it stands they still own a number of vacant lots in the King Street East/Elliott Row area that have been underutilized since their new parking garage opened, and are ripe for infill. Unfortunately it's clear that they have no interest in developing their urban properties or even selling surplus lots to someone who would. So many wasted opportunities.
100% all of this.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:25 PM

So City staff put out a fix it or demolish it order on a property the Heritage Board won't allow to be demolished? Hard to make this stuff up.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ylaw-1.5414430

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 3:40 PM

Found this on CCD

HOTEL, SAINT JOHN

CCD Ref. Number : NB154835-18-10

Stage : 3-Planning or drawing

Published : November 1, 2018

Last updated : December 17, 2019

Starting Date (estimated) : Not available

Size : Mid-sized ($9,999,000)

Work type : Expansion / Addition

Sector : Private

Category : 2-Commercial

Subcategories : 2E-Hotel & Lodging

Disciplines : ARCH, ELEC, EQUI, HVAC, MEC-B, STRUC, OTHER*

SAINT JOHN (NB)
(Saint John - St. Stephen)

Description :
HOTEL EXPANSION -
Located in Saint John, Water St., this project estimated at between $5 000 000 and $9 999 999 is in the planning stage, development pending zoning approvals. Based on a surface spread over 4 floors above grade, works concern expansion of a hotel along with an 8-floor parking garage. The early selection of a Construction Manager brings the knowledge, skill and experience of a contractor to a team of Initiators, Architects and Consultants during the pre construction phase.

- Initiator: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS
- Architect: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS

https://www.ccdcanada.com/projects/?...7-37f0e405fef4

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 7:49 PM

Great find, but unless I'm mis-reading it, a 4-floor hotel with 8-floor parking garage? Ewwww.

Also, it's an expansion, but there are no hotels on Water Street currently.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 9:03 PM

My guess is they simply got the street name wrong and rather it’s meant for Brunswick square. The delta hotel had parking on the Fundy quay lot off of Water Street for a bit so maybe that’s where they got Water Street from? The Brunswick square parking garage is about 8 stories and the hotel is 4 stories. Maybe this apart of the redevelopment rumours??

In the mean time I should post some updates going on- seems like the Coop Bar & Grill has closed. Allegations are flying around about management on Facebook. EN a sushi restaurant also closed at the beginning of the year.

Last edited by ColSJ; Jan 7, 2020 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 10:06 PM
ハルウララ

Brunswick Square Delta seems like a pretty good favourite for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
Great find, but unless I'm mis-reading it, a 4-floor hotel with 8-floor parking garage? Ewwww.
The optimist in me hopes that if this isn't referencing Delta Brunswick Square that an eight floor parking garage would include some floors beneath grade and some above. I can't imagine there's enough demand for a new eight floor parking garage in the Uptown, though, so I imagine it's Brunswick Square parking garage.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 9:28 PM

The Saint John Tool Library is looking to move! The owner of the company posted a video (see below) explaining the situation. He mentions the landlord's refusal to maintain the building which really ticks me off. The building is located between two buildings that have recently seen exterior upgrades so this one sticks out like a sore thumb. Does anyone know the owner of 160 Union Street?

https://www.sjtl.ca/help-the-tool-li...Uccuct4OaUCets

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 12:12 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Reposted from the main SJ thread - renders of the 95 Wentworth (Gothic Arches) proposal have been released:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
From Spitfire Design Co. Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/spitfiredes...c_location=ufi

The proposal is for a 7 storey building with with 83 units (approx. 75% will be two-bedrooms and the rest one-bedroom). The basement and ground level are primarily devoted to indoor parking with the residential units situated above.

Plenty more information and documentation can be found in next week's PAC Agenda.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 3:43 AM

I understand the concern of this massive structure being in the middle of low rise neighbourhood however the Irving HQ is only two blocks down the road so really...
I’m a fan of the design and height. I think it’ll initiate street reconstruction of Wentworth which badly needs it!!

All in all I’m very excited for this project, get the tower crane ready!!

Last edited by ColSJ; Jan 18, 2020 at 4:31 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 2:37 PM

Saint John seems like it wants to build up, people better get used to it. More people living in the core will bring bring more vibrancy to the area!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 4:03 PM
Unregistered Loser

It’s no taller than the building it replaces.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
It’s no taller than the building it replaces.
Height isn't everything. Just ask the CN tower.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:48 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

The Gothic Arches redevelopment goes to PAC tonight.

I'm fine with the height and can live with the massing. It's certainly a different scale of building than its immediate neighbours but to maximize density in the core while also preserving historic housing we need to make the most of the sites we have available.

Where this proposal falls flat, IMO, is at street level. The fine grain and frequent doorways of the surrounding neighbourhood are not reflected in the minimal street interaction of the current design. Additional residential entrances (i.e. lower level townhouse units, similar to Abbey St. Andrew) would go a long way to improving this development. These units could likely command premium rents, but would require giving up at least some of the ground level parking spaces. I don't think this is too much to ask given the walkable urban character of the area - do we really need a parking space for every single unit in this building? We lost a landmark when Gothic Arches came down, so we should demand nothing less than a worthy replacement.

It will be interesting to see what PAC recommends on this one.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 1:19 AM

And Connell Smith from CBC News, via Twitter, said that the Gothic Arches replacement project has been approved by the PAC.

https://twitter.com/connellcbc/statu...67278004207617

=P

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:20 PM

Gothic Arches will now go to council on February 10th for final approval.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces