HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 6:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I agree with mmmatt. The central and eastern portions of Main St downtown are actually picking up very well. It is the west end of Main St downtown which is faltering. This is where the events centre will be placed, and it will make a difference.

We do not need another vital piece of civic infrastructure placed on the periphery. We have had enough of that nonsense already. It's time to right the ship!!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 7:45 PM
BANNED

Most of the arguments that have been presented in the media are mostly focused on the urbanistic endeavour of building a nice project that could soon replace the old Highfield Square. What I believe we should be focusing on instead is to find an ideal location for the maximum benefit of the Sports and Entertainment Center itself, while keeping in mind the reality that in the future, as we keep on paying down this multi-million dollar debt, new needs that we cannot foresee today are sure to appear. An ideal location must offer ample space for future expansion, provide the economical option of leasing the land instead of borrowing money to buy the land and the ideal site must also have on-site parking for 3,500 vehicles.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 8:06 PM
I have no Title

other locations

I think there is enough space at the highfield square location even using the other side of the tracks around albert street. if not, I think something still central could work maybe even between Vaughan Harvey and millennium blvd. or visions land area. But I don't think your plan out past riverview would work Unlearn relearn. No Private sectors would probably buy into it. too far out of Metro Moncton.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 8:13 PM

Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlearn Relearn View Post
Most of the arguments that have been presented in the media are mostly focused on the urbanistic endeavour of building a nice project that could soon replace the old Highfield Square. What I believe we should be focusing on instead is to find an ideal location for the maximum benefit of the Sports and Entertainment Center itself, while keeping in mind the reality that in the future, as we keep on paying down this multi-million dollar debt, new needs that we cannot foresee today are sure to appear. An ideal location must offer ample space for future expansion, provide the economical option of leasing the land instead of borrowing money to buy the land and the ideal site must also have on-site parking for 3,500 vehicles.
My question is why? Why does it have to have enough on site parking for 3.500 vehicles? The world we live in today is struggling with Global Warming and Moncton is already a car culture city. We need more people living Downtown, more people walking and taking transit ( Buses, biking etc.).

You keep saying they would save money, but the roadway leading out to this site would have to be widened, pipelines would have to be added for sewer and water lines, sidewalks, lighting, but being provincially owned that would have to be passed by them first and the city would look for money to do all these upgrades. That there would be Millions of dollars then all the paving for your giant parking lot and lighting. Things really start to add up... making downtown still the better choice!

You need to stop copying and pasting from your site and respond with legit answers.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 8:18 PM
BANNED

The real problem is the collective unwillingness to chop-off huge debt. Question: What is 6%of $4.6 billion dollars? That's $4,600,000,000.00 The answer is $276 million or $276,000,000.00 This is the YEARLY amount that New Brunswick taxpayers must pay on the debt for which they are responsible and we're only talking about NB Power debt, not the NB Province debt which is another $11 billion http://www.gnb.ca/0160/InvestorRelat...al_facts-e.pdf.
QUESTION: How many events centers could you build with a yearly amount of $276 million? ANSWER: NB Power should have been sold to Quebec Hydro years ago and each year after that the province would have an additioal $276 million for everything else.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ults-1234.html

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 11:30 PM
BANNED

a shoebox is for shoes, many acres are for an EVENTS CENTRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by monctoncore View Post
my question is why? Why does it have to have enough on site parking for 3.500 vehicles? the world we live in today moncton is already a car culture city.yes, we live in a car culture, so give them a place to park close-by preferably on-site, like if it was champlain mall, youcan't expect people to walk ten city blocks to park their car and walk to the events center in rain and snow.

We need more people living downtown, more people walking and taking transit ( buses, biking etc.).

You keep saying they would save money, but the roadway leading out to this site would have to be widened (says who?), pipelines would have to be added for sewer and water lines, sidewalks, lighting, but being provincially owned (if it's privately owned by city of moncton ???)
that would have to be passed by them first and the city would look for money to do all these upgrades (don'tyou think that at highfield square there wouldn't be over $$$100 million $$$ of upgrades to remove the enormous amount of deadly toxic contaminants?). Parking paving would pay for itself so woud lighting with the parking fee. And downtown parking would be free you assume$$$$ paving for your giant parking lot and lighting. Things really start to add up... Making downtown the wrose choice.
stop accusing me of this, you are wrong, i did not copy and paste from that websiteyou need to stop copying and pasting from your site and respond with legit answers.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 11:44 PM
BANNED

Smile Get a nanny for the cats and come and visit....

[QUOTE=Monctoncore;6100983]My question is why? Why does it have to have enough on site parking for 3.500 vehicles? The world we live in today is struggling with Global Warming and Moncton is already a car culture city. We need more people living Downtown, more people walking and taking transit ( Buses, biking etc.).

The suggestion that more people need to....anything..... is WRONG.
People will do what people want to do. People with lovely suburbian homes and cars do NOT want to start walking and taking urban transit. HOW ABOUT you take your lovely bike and come and visit this perfect place for a Sports and Entertainment Center, simply a few miles away (5) from oh-so-comfortable-downtown Moncton second-floor apartment, or is bicycling 5 miles too far???

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 11:56 PM

Interesting.

[QUOTE=Unlearn Relearn;6101285]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
My question is why? Why does it have to have enough on site parking for 3.500 vehicles? The world we live in today is struggling with Global Warming and Moncton is already a car culture city. We need more people living Downtown, more people walking and taking transit ( Buses, biking etc.).

The suggestion that more people need to....anything..... is WRONG.
People will do what people want to do. People with lovely suburbian homes and cars do NOT want to start walking and taking urban transit. HOW ABOUT you take your lovely bike and come and visit this perfect place for a Sports and Entertainment Center, simply a few miles away (5) from oh-so-comfortable-downtown Moncton second-floor apartment, or is bicycling 5 miles too far???

Why not start another thread for this, that way people can talk about this and not be filling this page up.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:13 AM
BANNED

sorry if I don't quite know how to post here, but obviously, the matter that I propose is much more important than my lack of posting style, I'll learn, give me a break.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:25 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Why not start another thread for this, that way people can talk about this and not be filling this page up.
I agree with Monctoncore, this is the [Moncton] Downtown Events Centre thread. Nobody is interested in your self serving diatribe here. We know that you own this farmers field in Lower Coverdale. If you are this keen on pulling the wool over peoples eyes and finding somebody to buy your field then I invite you to start your own thread - the [Lower Coverdale] Events Centre thread. You can feel free to post whatever you want in that thread. The rest of us meanwhile will be under no compunction to actually read it. Enjoy!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:28 AM
BANNED

a shoebox is for shoes, many acres are for an EVENTS CENTRE

a URL to the original article,
www.totot.ca
a shoebox is for shoes, many acres are for an EVENTS CENTRE that thinks about the future.
Highfield Square needs to become a beautiful park, with a small lake and ducks,
nice green grass with tall trees and people living close by will certainly appreciate this.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:37 AM
BANNED

Dear MonctonRad and Montoncore, I truly appreciate your recommendations but this thread is for people who have ideas to submit whether they are ideas that correspond to your thinking or people who have other ideas. What's important is that we communicate our ideas and evryone is totally free to accept or reject whichever idea they chose. BUT some of us might learn in the process, so keep on reading.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
a URL to the original article,
www.totot.ca
a shoebox is for shoes, many acres are for an EVENTS CENTRE that thinks about the future.
Highfield Square needs to become a beautiful park, with a small lake and ducks,
nice green grass with tall trees and people living close by will certainly appreciate this.
Are you implying that Le Centre Bell should have been built in Laval and that the new Colise de Quebec out in the bonnies in Destimauville ? Please, do not come out in those respective cities with such an argumentation-based approach , you will be laught at.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:51 AM
BANNED

London Ontario VS Moncton, don't compare, please.

It is true that London Ontario Budweiser Centre has no on-site parking, but if you observe the map, http://www.london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Parki...uide_intro.htm
you'll see that within two block there is huge parking.
Compare that to Moncton downtown, the majority of event goers won't come from downtown Moncton, they'll come by car, 3 people on average per car, so we need 3,500 parking spaces if we include the people working at the events centre.
Highfield Square is completely fenced in in the rear, railway tracks. No access near the underpass, far away access near Vaughn Harvey, so realistically, MAIN Street is the only access to enter the events center. Drive by anytime you want and the closest parking to the entrance of The BAY, is FAR away.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:53 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Dear MonctonRad and Montoncore, I truly appreciate your recommendations but this thread is for people who have ideas to submit whether they are ideas that correspond to your thinking or people who have other ideas. What's important is that we communicate our ideas and evryone is totally free to accept or reject whichever idea they chose. BUT some of us might learn in the process, so keep on reading.
We know your idea...you want the events center built in the middle of nowhere so there is room for unlimited parking...

The issue is your idea has been stated and repeated too many times with slightly different words. This site is not a soapbox for promoting something to the point our ears bleed.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 1:03 AM
BANNED

I'm not worried about Centre Bell in Montreal, there was another Centre Bell on La Gauchetiere street for many year before they built this new one on Notre-Dame Street.
The differnce is that MONTREAL can afford to build new Event Centers every ten years, but MONCTON needs to think carefully, as a 100 million dollar project built downtown with no on-site parking, and no close-by parking, and no place to expand in the future when new inventions appear, and no possibility to lease the land so you have to borrow at the bank and pay cash for buying the land which is absolutely economically wrong, and a huge bill to decontaminate that stupidly ugly and small location. Make a nice park with a small lake and forget about it.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 1:09 AM

Quote:
It is true that London Ontario Budweiser Centre has no on-site parking, but if you observe the map, http://www.london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Parki...uide_intro.htm
you'll see that within two block there is huge parking.
Compare that to Moncton downtown, the majority of event goers won't come from downtown Moncton, they'll come by car, 3 people on average per car, so we need 3,500 parking spaces if we include the people working at the events centre.
Highfield Square is completely fenced in in the rear, railway tracks. No access near the underpass, far away access near Vaughn Harvey, so realistically, MAIN Street is the only access to enter the events center. Drive by anytime you want and the closest parking to the entrance of The BAY, is FAR away.
Not sure what the problem is, i`ve seen buildings before, 4 , 5, 6 , 7 underground floor with parking, counts for alot, ,

Or hell build a a parking garage, even if we have to pay for parking who cares, we obviously need parking

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 1:10 AM
BANNED

mmmatt "in the middle of nowhere"

If you feel that 5 miles from central downtown Moncton is in the middle of nowhere, especially here in the Maritime provinces, when going 30 miles to Shediac is a simple stroll or going to PEI to visit family.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 1:17 AM

Look, I really do not want to be rude, but I come to this site to read and discuss about developpement-related news; not to read the type of negative comments that you could find on the CBC news website. I understand your point and I respect it although I strongly do not believe in it or support it in any way. In fact, it just does not make any sense for me.

From what I understand, you only want to promote your project. This is not the place to do it. If you are not OK with our POV, just accept it, you can maybe comment once, but please stop polluting to forum with the same paragraphs over and over and over (which, I'm sorry, do not have any logic). Now, your point is out there, we saw your posts, but stop doing everything you could possibly do to try to make us change our minds or to make us believe that your land is the best place; trust me, it will not work. Just as a note, even though I do not want to spark the debate, basically anywhere else in Moncton would be better for the new civic center that Lower Coverdale.

Now, just to sum it up, please stop spamming the forum. I'm totally sick of it and you're just losing credibility.

-- the end --

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 1:18 AM
BANNED

Parking, leasing, future expansion

PARKING 3,500 on-site spaces, LEASING of the land, FUTURE EXPANSION possibility. Here are the only three ABSOLUTE components for investors to even consider investing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces