HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 9:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The Great Canadian Cities that are never talked about on SSP thread

Or at least, never talked about in the main Canada forum. Not the smallish towns and municipalities/suburbs, but rather full stand alone largish cities.

I don't recall ever seeing a post about Prince George or Campbell River (BC). Or Grande Prairie (Alberta). Or the burgeoning metropolis of Swift Current (Saskatchewan). Thompson, Manitoba, represent? Chatham, Sault St. Marie, and Cornwall (Ontario)? Granby or Victoriaville (QC)? Miramichi (NB)? Truro (NS)? Corner Brook (NL)?

Most likely as these places either lack active forumers, or forumers that do not post in the main Canada section.

What are your candidates for largish but never featured Canadian cities? Which cities deserve more exposure?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 9:33 PM

Guelph? Cambridge? Sudbury? Barrie? St Catharines?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 9:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

You could fill this thread with Ontario.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 9:39 PM

Some Quebec cities come to mind: Saguenay, Sherbrooke, Drummondville, Rouyn-Noranda, Trois Rivieres. Sort of obvious as to why.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 9:41 PM

Actually the Sherbrooke community here moved away because one asshole moderator here was threatened to ban me so I managed to convince everyone to move to a forum where there would be no risk of having a pillar of the community getting banned. But there used to be an active thread here.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 9:41 PM

Charlottetown! You can't even search the forum for "Charlottetown" for some reason to find any posts in the first place.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 9:44 PM

From the rest of Canada:

Brandon, MB
Prince Albert, SK
Lloydminster, AB/SK
Red Deer, AB
Lethbridge, AB

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 9:55 PM

Charlottetown and Kamloops are two of the more interesting ones that seem conspicuously absent a lot of the time. Nanaimo, Fredericton, and Sydney-Glace Bay are a bit less interesting IMO but also feel absent. Kelowna seems relatively well-represented but I rarely hear anything about nearby Vernon or Penticton. There are a bunch of the mid-sized Ontario ones that I don't see much of - in particular, St. Catherine's, Niagara Falls, Guelph, Brantford, Peterborough and Sudbury all come to mind. In Quebec - Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières, Saguenay. In Alberta - Banff; in Saskatchewan - the Battlefords.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 11:32 PM

I always thought it's weird there's no talk of the Ontario cities besides the big three (Hamilton, Toronto and Ottawa). Even then, it seems like Toronto is not really discussed all that much considering how massive a city it is along with its high growth rate. I'd be interested to hear more about what's going on in places like Kingston, St. Catharines or Sudbury since I assume there is stuff happening.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 11:45 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggerino View Post
I always thought it's weird there's no talk of the Ontario cities besides the big three (Hamilton, Toronto and Ottawa).
Kitchener and London get a fair amount of discussion every now and again.

Quote:
Even then, it seems like Toronto is not really discussed all that much considering how massive a city it is along with its high growth rate.
Talking about Toronto is illegal unless you live outside of Toronto, in which case you're allowed to discuss it but only if you equate residents of Toronto as being unCanadian and faux American.

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear more about what's going on in places like Kingston, St. Catharines or Sudbury since I assume there is stuff happening.
I think St. Catharines is the winner of this thread, in terms of largest metro area that doesn't really get discussed at all.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 12:04 AM

For BC Kamloops and Nanaimo are the most notable absentees, especially Kamloops which actually has a few decent sized projects on the go and is quite an interesting place and has a notably unique setting for a Canadian City.

For Alberta I would say Medicine Hat is seldom discussed.

Other notable absentees I have noticed are Sherbrooke and Trois Rivieres.

For smaller cities that play important roles would be Charlottetown and White Horse.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:28 AM

Nanaimo, BC

Saguenay, QC

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:39 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Sydney is very absent, but... I mean? What could you say?

Charlottetown being absent I appreciate. I've been. My impression is that it's urban but outdated. It feels at times like a real city, but 10 years ago.

That said, I've had two friends who've been there. One is from Newfoundland, and loved it - found it way too cold in winter, and way too dead after-hours, but was absolutely fully satisfied by what Charlottetown had to offer when it was open.

Another, who lived here for like five years, and only visited Charlottetown in the summer, and was left the impression it was even better than here. Pains me to even remember the conversation I think he's objectively wrong, by any measure, but the fact he had that impression speaks highly of what Charlottetown has to offer.

So I'm glad it's not here showing us up lol

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:41 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
You could fill this thread with Ontario.
But we'll always have Gander to talk about.
I used to go there as a small child, and wanted to go downtown, was so disappointed. LOL.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:43 AM

Outside of railway threads, Kingston seems to be pretty absent.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
Nanaimo, BC

Saguenay, QC
Those two, I can agree with, plus St. Catharines. Possibly Sarnia and Trois-Rivieres too. They are sizeable cities but they are never part of any discussions. Like, at all. A lot of places mentioned in this thread are small, so it’s not really surprising if they are not being talked about. Other places like Sherbrooke or Chatham-Kent are mentioned once in a while.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:51 AM

For BC I'll also vote for Nanaimo. One hundred thousand people and only have a junior b hockey team. Some newer towers and one of the most desirable places to live in the country.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:15 AM

For BC, Nanaimo for sure. Although to be fair the city doesn’t deserve more attention than it gets, although it’s starting to turn things around. They went the route of urban sprawl, big malls and big box stores, killing their downtown decades ago so it’s a long road back.

Elsewhere, Regina doesn’t get mentioned much outside of football, nor do a bunch for tier 2 cities in Ontario and Quebec. I’d also like to see more of Fredericton and Saint John as well.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Or at least, never talked about in the main Canada forum. Not the smallish towns and municipalities/suburbs, but rather full stand alone largish cities.

I don't recall ever seeing a post about Prince George or Campbell River (BC). Or Grande Prairie (Alberta). Or the burgeoning metropolis of Swift Current (Saskatchewan). Thompson, Manitoba, represent? Chatham, Sault St. Marie, and Cornwall (Ontario)? Granby or Victoriaville (QC)? Miramichi (NB)? Truro (NS)? Corner Brook (NL)?

Most likely as these places either lack active forumers, or forumers that do not post in the main Canada section.

What are your candidates for largish but never featured Canadian cities? Which cities deserve more exposure?
Before I opened the thread I knew Chatham was going to be mentioned.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:52 AM

Sometime I should post some photos from Chatham. It has some impressive bones. It was a well established city in the 1800s that just never grew much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada