HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 11:17 PM

As we get hepped up for the Gold Cup and Octogonal, any of you out there watch this live? In the not too distant future, I am hoping to see the game that puts this one a little farther away in the good memory part of history.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 12:35 AM

Gold Cup 2021
Canada 4 Martinique 1
July 11 2021

The scoreline flattered Canada, they must do better.

I was out and missed the first 30 minutes of the game which as it turned out was the game. The impressive part was that Canada came back from an early goal by Martinique (10 min) and scored three goals within ten minutes. The game was by all intents and purposes over.

Although controlling play, Canada had no sense of urgency to pile on the goals (that could come into play later). Canada was issued six totally unnecessary yellow cards indicating terrible discipline against an inferior opponent (who did put up a spirited effort)

Had to wait quite a while to find out who was playing goal for Canada as he wasn't on screen for most of the game that I was viewing.

Corbeneau scores near the end of the game to make it 4-1

Without its stars, this is the meat and potatoes of Canada's lineup, they have to step up.

Video Link

Last edited by elly63; Jul 25, 2021 at 1:06 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 12:13 PM

Gold Cup 2021
Canada 4 Haiti 1
July 15 2021

Canada again gets a flattering scoreline beating a battling Haiti for the third time within a month or so. The Haitians only had three subs and seemed to plateau a little bit around the 65 minute mark.

Canada put on all their subs subbing for some players who were on yellow cards. It looks like Eustaquio took a delay of game yellow card on purpose to be red carded so he will miss the group game against the US but will be available for the quarterfinal. Herdman is all about tournament play.

Haiti gave up two penalties on deserved fouls. Akinola and Pasher were subbbed in and are now officially capped, in fact on what looked like Akinola's first involvement a Haitian grabbed him from behind when he was open on goal resulting in a red card and penalty.

Crepeau came up big when tested

Fox Sports commentators were calling Canada lethargic and that looked to be true but a good sign is we have been taking advantage of the opportunities we have had. It's good to hear a different perspective in the commentary as the Americans puff up the Canadian team because of the large number of MLSers but are saying they are not playing to their potential (whatever that is)

In both Canada games, the Americans were playing immediately after and American fans were filling in the stands and were very vocal in their opposition to Canada. So the upcoming Canada/US game should be very spirited. This game should show Canada where we really stand. Are we better or worse than we think we are because I think those questions haven't been answered yet. And they may remain unanswered because as I said Herdman is all about tournament play, he may throw this game to keep some players fresh for the quarter finals. He did that vs Mexico at the last Gold Cup but unfortunately we ran up against a motivated Haiti and it all went south.

Video Link

Last edited by elly63; Jul 25, 2021 at 1:07 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 3:27 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Gold Cup 2021
Canada 4 Haiti 1
July 15 2021

Canada again gets a flattering scoreline beating a battling Haiti for the third time within a month or so. The Haitians only had three subs and seemed to plateau a little bit around the 65 minute mark.

Canada put on all their subs subbing for some players who were on yellow cards. It looks like Eustaquio took a delay of game yellow card on purpose to be red carded so he will miss the group game against the US but will be available for the quarterfinal. Herdman is all about tournament play.

Haiti gave up two penalties on deserved fouls. Akinola and Pasher were subbbed in and are now officially capped, in fact on what looked like Akinola's first involvement a Haitian grabbed him from behind when he was open on goal resulting in a red card and penalty.

Crepeau came up big when tested

Fox Sports commentators were calling Canada lethargic and that looked to be true but a good sign is we have been taking advantage of the opportunities we have had. It's good to hear a different perspective in the commentary as the a Americans puff up the Canadian team because of the large number of MLSers but are saying they are not playing to their potential (whatever that is)

In both Canada games, the Americans were playing immediately after and American fans were filling in the stands and were very vocal in their opposition to Canada. So the upcoming Canada/US game should be very spirited. This game should show Canada where we really stand. Are we better or worse than we think we are because I think those questions haven't been answered yet. And they may remain unanswered because as I said Herdman is all about tournament play, he may throw this game to keep some players fresh for the quarter finals. He did that vs Mexico at the last Gold Cup but unfortunately we ran up against a motivated Haiti and it all went south.

Video Link
I watched both games- Canada is giving up too much defensively. The Americans will make them pay if they play they did against Haiti and Martinique. In the Haiti game, there were some clear cut chances they didn't convert which could have made the score line much closer.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 3:36 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I watched both games- Canada is giving up too much defensively. The Americans will make them pay if they play they did against Haiti and Martinique. In the Haiti game, there were some clear cut chances they didn't convert which could have made the score line much closer.
A back three of Henry-Vitoria-Miller is beyond bad, but it shows how much our formation relies on the wings of Laryea and Davies coming back in support. Johnston and Buchanan couldn't fill in the roles during the first half, and it was only when Piette and Laryea were brought on that we looked like we could actually defend.

At least we'll have Kennedy back for the WCQ because there's no way we stand any chance of anything if we're starting Vitoria and Miller.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
At least we'll have Kennedy back for the WCQ because there's no way we stand any chance of anything if we're starting Vitoria and Miller.
Kennedy has done well so far but it is early days. In the WCQ we'll have David, Davies, Borjan and hopefully Atiba and possibly Arfield. With Atiba it will be his fitness, his commitment to the Leaf is there but he won't commit unless he can give his all, he is the ultimate team player. It pains me to say we're not sure of Arfield's commitment because of some of his actions of late but we really do miss him in the middle. Even missing all the stars we are right now for the Gold Cup, Arfield's presence would have made a big difference in the present squad.

Just a couple of notes, Sammy Piette really has a calming effect on the middle, he does well and makes few errors. Even though he hasn't had a clean sheet Crepeau has been very solid, it's comforting to know he is ready to step in for Borjan if need be. I remember posting (last Gold Cup) about how lethal David was, that mantle seems to have been passed to Larin. It's quite amazing how many good chances David has missed in the past games he has played since. But if he is getting chances that is still a good thing.

The game vs the US should be interesting, both teams may try to throw it to rest players for the QF.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Concacaf Gold Cup provisional rosters confirmed
canadasoccer.com June 18, 2021

CANADA 60-MAN LIST CURRENT CLUB
Stephen Eustáquio POR / FC Paços de Ferreira
Jules Anthony Vilsaint BEL / Royal Antwerp
Porto and more likely Braga have been looking at Eustáquio.

Looks like the teenager Vilsaint has made the big team, Royal Antwerp. The Belgian League has been a very good development league for Canadians: David, Larin and going back a ways Radzinski and Kusch.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 1:23 AM

Gold Cup 2021
USA 1 Canada 0
July 18 2021

As critical as I have been about Canada's two previous 4-1 victories, I think this 1-0 loss was worthy of praise.

The US set a record for their NT by scoring 20 seconds into the game. For a moment I thought, this could get ugly, but I quickly settled into the same attitude I had about Italy when England scored early. I just had a feeling it would be ok.

Canada struggled for about the first 30 minutes, I may be off on the time here but when Osorio subbed in for an injured Akinola the game seemed to change. Canada slowly regained its bearings and began to dominate possession, although at one point a stat said they only had 49 percent possession.

Although they seemed to dominate play they weren't getting any real chances but as the game went on Canada got better and better and more dangerous. I like the fact that: 1. They didn't lose heart after the early catastrophe 2. They were able to change the course of the game.

The Fox commentators were not happy with the US performance but aside from the loss I was happy with Canada's performance. To my mind they just ran out of time. Everybody stepped up their performance and from what little I saw of Pasher, I liked what he did. Miller had a good game as did most of the team aside from the early breakdown. I definitely think we got something from this game that will pay dividends down the road. It's the first time in almost two years where we have faced equal or better competition in front of a hostile crowd.

Full disclosure, the only broadcasts I can watch are the Fox Sports so I'm getting a different biased view not the "homer" view of Onesoccer. I try to be as realistic as I can.

Video Link

Last edited by elly63; Jul 19, 2021 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 9:34 PM

Quote:
there's no way we stand any chance of anything if we're starting Vitoria and Miller.
Consensus has been both played very well against the US, the lone goal can't be faulted to either of them.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 9:37 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Consensus has been both played very well against the US, the lone goal can't be faulted to either of them.
Sure, but you know as well as I that neither team were playing their A-team, and we can't expect Vitoria & Miller to get minutes and perform well against the A-team members of both the US and Mexico. We have better centre backs available.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 12:17 AM

garbage CONCACAF refereeing, as usual. 2 clear penalties that weren't given.

We should have won that game.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Sure, but you know as well as I that neither team were playing their A-team, and we can't expect Vitoria & Miller to get minutes and perform well against the A-team members of both the US and Mexico. We have better centre backs available.
Who?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
garbage CONCACAF refereeing, as usual. 2 clear penalties that weren't given.

We should have won that game.
I'm the biggest Canada fan there is but I think those would have been lame penalties, Laryea was diving too much. I've been checking out the fan group and there's not too much griping about it. The one that came closest for me was the push, it was hard to tell how light or heavy a shove it was. The ref should have consulted VAR at the very least for each case.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 1:25 PM

Reminder: Gold Cup Quarter Final, Canada vs Costa Rica 6:30/7 pm EST Sunday July 25 2021

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 1:31 PM

How injuries could impact Canada’s Gold Cup roster vs Costa Rica
Peter Galindo mlssoccer.com July 24, 2021

As the old adage goes, you learn more about yourself in defeat than victory. Canada are hoping that’s the case in Sunday’s quarterfinal showdown with Costa Rica (7 pm ET | FS1, Univision, TUDN) at the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup.

Having lost 1-0 to the United States in its Group B finale, the Canadian post-match view was mixed. On one hand, the opening 25 minutes – which included conceding the deciding goal after 20 seconds – were disastrous. On the other hand, the response was valiant, and Canada controlled the rest of the game.

“It’s hard,” Canada coach John Herdman said after the loss. “I think it’s a valiant effort and there’s a bit of pride in there, but at the same time, we have to win these games.”

"We asked them a lot of questions.”

But considering US goalkeeper Matt Turner only faced three shots on target and this was an experimental American squad, it’s fair to question how the quarterfinal against a slightly shorthanded, but veteran Costa Rican side will transpire.

That being said, last Sunday’s match was the first of at least 16 high-profile Concacaf games for Canada from now until the end of World Cup qualifying. Managing specific in-game situations against marquee opponents is necessary to succeed, and Les Rouges proved they could adjust. Incisiveness in the final third was just lacking on the day.

“I do think we have to be more clinical in the box and finish the chances that we do create,” said midfielder Liam Fraser. “Because I felt we had a lot of opportunities to either get the ball in and get a shot off and we’re not doing so.”

Through three games, Canada are averaging 0.69 open-play expected goals (xG) per 90 minutes, according to data from Opta. Tournaments tend to offer fewer opportunities from open play, although with the razor-thin margins of the knockout stage, Fraser’s comments are a constructive criticism ahead of a pivotal match for an attack with a point to prove.

Down two forwards in Cyle Larin and Ayo Akinola, who suffered injuries against the US, Herdman faces a couple of dilemmas. The mission of replacing Larin’s 10 goals in the calendar year is a tricky one, even with a ready-made replacement in Lucas Cavallini.

That’s because Herdman is saddled with a crucial decision: Does he switch from the 3-5-2 – in a knockout match – to deploy Tajon Buchanan as a winger? It could behoove Junior Hoilett, Theo Corbeanu and Tyler Pasher, too. Cavallini would also benefit as a striker who thrives on receiving early crosses, so being flanked by marauding fullbacks and a pair of dynamic wingers would be a godsend for the Vancouver Whitecaps forward.

Defensive solidity is still imperative, of course, so that could tilt the scales one way or the other.

However Canada approach the game tactically, it’s almost certain they will welcome back Stephen Eustaquio to the midfield after he was suspended for the loss to the US. Mark-Anthony Kaye should be in contention to start as well after the LAFC midfielder wasn’t risked, likely due to his yellow-card warning. Those would be game-changing revisions given how the Americans bossed the Canadian midfield in the early stages of their match.

That could be the key to victory for either side. If Canada want to shut down Joel Campbell’s threat on the counter-attack, it will need the midfielders to provide cover for the fullbacks, otherwise goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau might be in for a long evening in Arlington.

In turn, though, more ball-progressing midfielders mean a stronger attack. Having shown the mental fortitude to swing the momentum of the match against the US, Canada will need to add killer instinct around the box if they hope to reach their first semifinal since 2007.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 1:50 AM

Quote:
How injuries could impact Canada’s Gold Cup roster vs Costa Rica
Peter Galindo mlssoccer.com July 24, 2021

Down two forwards in Cyle Larin and Ayo Akinola, who suffered injuries against the US, Herdman faces a couple of dilemmas. The mission of replacing Larin’s 10 goals in the calendar year is a tricky one, even with a ready-made replacement in Lucas Cavallini.

However Canada approach the game tactically, it’s almost certain they will welcome back Stephen Eustaquio to the midfield after he was suspended for the loss to the US. Those would be game-changing revisions given how the Americans bossed the Canadian midfield in the early stages of their match.

That could be the key to victory for either side. If Canada want to shut down Joel Campbell’s threat on the counter-attack, it will need the midfielders to provide cover for the fullbacks, otherwise goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau might be in for a long evening in Arlington.
Canada totally dominates Costa Rica and wins 2-0.

Let's address the points from the article above. We've lost another striker, Cavallini, due to cards. Vitoria is also out. We are almost totally depleted against Mexico. Akindele (who had to be called in) will likely get the start. Good to see Akindele, Corbeanu and Henry get in some minutes as they will likely feature against Mexico.

Eustaquio gets a goal, (Hoillet got the first) and the stache is MOTM. This guy is going to go to bigger places as a player if the scouts are watching.

I thought I heard the commentator say Crepeau didn't have a shot on goal someone else said he made a good save early in the second half. Finally got his well deserved clean sheet.

We are in super tough against Mexico in the semi final but I like the idea of a depleted lineup vs Mexico. It is going to show how much heart and drive the core of this team really has. We are doing this without 10-11 players who will likely feature in the WCQ team and two more (on cards) out against Mexico.

Video Link

Last edited by elly63; Jul 26, 2021 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 2:06 PM

Really feels like Canada has turned a corner now and has joined the second tier of strong teams in CONCACAF (US, Honduras, Costa Rica and Jamaica, sometimes El Salvador and Panama). I would still put Mexico in the top tier by themselves.

Anyway, enjoying that fact that Canada dominated a strong (slightly aging) CONCACAF team, but also fearful of facing Mexico absent David, Davies, Kennedy, Hutchinson, Larin, Akinola, Arfield, Borjan, Vitoria, Millar, James, Adekugbe and Cavallini. At this point, the Mexico match is gravy and the team should just play carefree and enjoy it, no matter the result.

But also incredibly enthused about having all of them back for WCQ and daring to dream again about going to WC (dreams last seen being crushed 8-1 in 2012).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 3:25 PM
ハルウララ

Probably the best CMNT performance under Herdman aside from the 2-0 vs the US in the Nations League, and arguably one of the best CMNT performances ever. Costa Rica didn't look very good, Canada looked good, and we should have no expectations vs Mexico.

It bodes well for world cup qualifying, though, given that CR were only missing a player or two and Canada was missing half of its starting XI.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 12:44 AM

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 12:47 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada