HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 2:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Montreal's Catherine Raîche makes history with the Philadelphia Eagles. She started out her career in football management as an intern with the Alouettes.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/n...tory-1.6043252

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 2:50 PM

^ That's an exceptional accomplishment for any 32 year old, let alone a 32 year old woman in a male-dominated environment such as a professional football team.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 5:01 PM
arf

Another tennis player from Quebec making some news.

Laval Teen Leylah Annie Fernandez Wins First Match at French Open

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 9:45 PM

I'm shocked that I have not seen any posts about Denis Shapovalov making it to the semi-finals at Wimbledon. Surely one of, if not the greatest Canadian male tennis accomplishment of all time. Why no love? And Felix did ok as well.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 5:56 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
I'm shocked that I have not seen any posts about Denis Shapovalov making it to the semi-finals at Wimbledon. Surely one of, if not the greatest Canadian male tennis accomplishment of all time. Why no love? And Felix did ok as well.
Raonic made the Wimbledon final in 2016 and Bouchard made the Wimbledon final in 2014. It says a lot about Canada's program that Shapo making the semis and Felix making the quarters isn't as newsworthy as it would have been a decade ago.

Very impressive that we had two men into the quarterfinals. Feels like one of them should have a good shot at winning a major once the Big Three retire.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Raonic made the Wimbledon final in 2016
Whatever happened to him...seriously. I think I'll look it up.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 11:30 PM

Blue Jays approved to return to Rogers Centre for July 30. Not gonna lie, I'm surprised the government didn't delay it to their next homestand in August and tie it into an announcement of relaxing broader border restrictions.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 2:23 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
I competed in tennis when I was younger so would normally tune into news like this. For me the last 2-3 years have been filled with terrible news (Trump, racism, COVID) so turned my tv off 16 months ago. I didn't even find out who won the US election till 2 weeks after the fact. The lack of tv exposure has wiped events like Wimbledon completely off my radar.

That said, I've always concentrated more on the Canadian and US Open than the other tournaments. I've also grown a little tired of how dominant Federer, Djokovic, and Nadal have been for so long. Some people loved it but I found myself drifting off to watch women's tennis almost exclusively. With Andreescu injured, my interest waned. I started watching more swimming, basketball, and track instead.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 1:55 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Whatever happened to him...seriously. I think I'll look it up.
Some injuries and always having to face one of Nadal, Federer, or Djokovic in any big tournament. He had a pretty decent run for a few years, but tennis can be a brutal game.

Hats off to both Shapovalov and Auger Alliassime. Hoping for a big tournament from both of them at the US Open.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 10:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Swiler’s colours are the Republic flag So I’m a fan.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 4:23 AM
Go Chiefs!

Leylah Fernandez and FAA off the semi-finals at the US Open!!!

Canada is slowly becoming a tennis superpower and I'm loving it. Leylah just turned 19, Bianca is 21, FAA is 21 and Shapovalov is the old guy at 22. Just need to confirm with more major titles and especially on the male side.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Swiler’s colours are the Republic flag So I’m a fan.

An extremely historic win for Canada (we haven't beat the US since 2013, and qualifying for the World Cup is critical for Rugby Canada's finances) but very little coverage because it got pushed to some subscription-only channel called Premier Sports that I never heard of. We really need to be on TSN/SN to keep pushing the sport to more casual eyeballs.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 4:03 PM
arf

Felix Auger-Aliassime and Leylah Fernandez both into the US Open semi-finals. An absolutely epic couple of years for Canadian tennis from quite a few players: Shapovalov, Pospisil, Auger-Aliassime for the men and Fernandez and Andreescu for the women.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 4:04 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Leylah Fernandez and FAA off the semi-finals at the US Open!!!

Canada is slowly becoming a tennis superpower and I'm loving it. Leylah just turned 19, Bianca is 21, FAA is 21 and Shapovalov is the old guy at 22. Just need to confirm with more major titles and especially on the male side.
It's really nice to see some names in the second week.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 4:05 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Felix Auger-Aliassime and Leylah Fernandez both into the US Open semi-finals. An absolutely epic couple of years for Canadian tennis from quite a few players: Shapovalov, Pospisil, Auger-Aliassime for the men and Fernandez and Andreescu for the women.
The absolute shade towards Raonic and Bouchard.

ITF tweeted today that since 2014 Canada is the only country to have six semifinalists at majors with three on each side. It's also difficult to think of another country with multiple threats on each side for majors. Certainly a great generation of Canadian tennis.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 1:56 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The absolute shade towards Raonic and Bouchard.

ITF tweeted today that since 2014 Canada is the only country to have six semifinalists at majors with three on each side. It's also difficult to think of another country with multiple threats on each side for majors. Certainly a great generation of Canadian tennis.
I wasn't meaning to disrespect Raonic or Bouchard in any way, but they haven't played much tennis this year. Raonic had a good Australian Open with the 4th round, but injuries have started to be too often. Bouchard has really struggled after her concussion which is very unfortunate. She maybe had the best year ever for a Canadian singles tennis player in 2014. SF SF F 4R. Both of them have been great over the years and lots of fun to watch.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 2:28 AM
Go Chiefs!

Leylah Fernandez is off to the US Open finals!!!

Insane!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 5:10 AM

Not sure if y’all consider it a sport but Kenny Omega was named the #1 wrestler in the world by PWI.

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1435622744343916553?s=20

Winnipeg doesn’t have a lot going for it, but we have one of the best pro wrestling scenes in the world.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Not sure if y’all consider it a sport but Kenny Omega was named the #1 wrestler in the world by PWI.

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1435622744343916553?s=20

Winnipeg doesn’t have a lot going for it, but we have one of the best pro wrestling scenes in the world.
We haven't produced the most wrestlers, but we have certainly produced some noteworthy ones... Kenny Omega, Chris Jericho, Don Callis, Roddy Piper.

Interesting thing about Callis is that he spent a number of years away from the wrestling business and actually headed up an agency of the provincial government, one dealing with foreign trade and investment (he has a MBA). I used to see occasionally him around downtown Winnipeg before he went back to wrestling as a manager.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 3:13 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Leylah Fernandez is off to the US Open finals!!!

Insane!
I have no words. Down 3-0 in the first set, somehow claws back to win it in the tiebreak has every reason to be deflated after losing the second set and just plows through to the end.

I don't like her chances against Raducanu as I think she's just played too much tennis over the two weeks. But she fights. But maybe all the tennis she's played catches up with her. I hope she's got one more magical match left.

First time in twenty years two teenagers are meeting in a grand slam final and the first time in Open Era history that two unseeded players are playing in the final.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada