HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 7:53 PM
ColoRADo

DENVER | Le Meridien / AC Hotel | 230 FT | 21 Stories

No rendering yet, but this dual brand hotel is planned for 15th St and California in downtown Denver. It is similar in size and scope as the Hyatt Place dual brand hotel under construction at 14th St. and Glenarm.

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Aug 26, 2014 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 3:20 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
No rendering yet, but this dual brand hotel is planned for 15th St and California in downtown Denver. It is similar in size and scope as the Hyatt Place dual brand hotel under construction at 14th St. and Glenarm.
I thought that this is the exact same project as 14th & Glenarm in a case of the developer pursuing two different lots for the same project and breaking ground on the lot that made the most economic sense.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Aug 26, 2014 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 3:39 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I thought that this is the exact same project as 14th & Glenarm in a case of the developer pursuing two different lots for the same project and breaking ground on the lot that made the most economic sense.
Nope. Two separate projects.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 3:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'm liking these Denver updates. Keep the developments going!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Dude is this block 162?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 11:08 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhomeDenver View Post
Dude is this block 162?
Also nope. Block 162 would be 15th and Glenarm / California. There's nothing submitted to the city yet for 162.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 2:43 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Quote:
Correct. I know someone involved in the project and both projects were in play, it's just that they switched locations for the dual Hyatt from the California to Glenarm site.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
Correct. I know someone involved in the project and both projects were in play, it's just that they switched locations for the dual Hyatt from the California to Glenarm site.
Hmmmmm...?

Okay, now if one were to understand all of this following along here...... per the opening of this thread, there is to be a dual brand hotel hotel developed at 15th and California, at 230 feet high and 21 stories, which is to be similar to the 21-story Hyatt Place that is currently under construction at 14th and Glenarm? But previous to Hyatt's 14th and Glenarm start, two different projects were both considered for these two different sites, but then the Hyatt decided to build on the 14th and Glenarm site? And now there's another dual brand hotel chain that's left with the 15th and California site?

Now at the corner of 15th and California, which is also the block where the Embassy Suites are now, wasn't a Best Western once planned there as well? Is this the other dual brand hotel chain that's the other project? But wasn't this Best Western to be 12 stories? Does Best Western even have a location in DT Denver?

I would assume that the Hyatt now is out of play at 15th and California block since they chose the 14th and Glenarm site, and if they wanted more rooms in DT Denver, they just would have added some more floors to the site that they are now building on, rather than build another 21-story building at a second site which is only a few blocks away, yes?

Also, isn't there a 15th and Champa hotel at 17-stories that is also proposed?

Anyways, pardon all my questions here, but this does seem to tend to be a bit confusing, yes?

Last edited by denconyny; Aug 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 4:40 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

OK here's my best explanation on this.

First, the proposals for the 12-story Best Western and the 17-story Hotel Gold Crown were fledgling pre-recession proposals that are long dead. They have nothing to do with anything anymore.

Second, Makovsky's Block 162 project (California, 16th, Welton, and 15th) is a completely separate project rumored to include a full-service Hilton hotel if and when that project moves forward. It also has nothing to do with the dual-branded hotels.

Now we get to the dual branded hotels. White Lodging had two separate dual-brand hotel deals in the works, both with very similar designs in buildings of approximately 21 stories each. One, a dual-branded Hyatt and the other, we'll call dual-branded Hotel XY. White was working to secure two sites for these two hotel projects near the convention center, one at 15th and California and one at 14th and Glenarm. It will help if you keep in mind that the hotel chains themselves do not usually develop their own properties. Developers build the buildings on behalf of the hotel chains that have signed a lease agreement with the developer to operate the property.

Originally, White's plan was to put the Hyatt at the 15th and California site and Hotel XY at 14th and Glenarm. Their architects even prepared renderings showing the Hyatt at 15th and California. However, negotiations with Hyatt moved along more quickly than with Hotel XY, but negotiations to acquire the 14th and Glenarm site moved along more quickly than the 15th and California site. So, White decided to switch the Hyatt to the 14th and Glenarm site so that it could get underway as soon as possible. Fortunately for White, the general size and shape of the two sites are very similar, so they were able to take the design of the Hyatt tower proposed for 15th and California and modify it to fit at 14th and Glenarm. Meanwhile, when negotiations with Hotel XY and the 15th and California site are finalized, they will announce that project and get under construction with a tower that will be similar to they Hyatt going in at 14th and Glenarm.

Anyway, that is a crude explanation for what I've heard through the grapevine. I hope it helps.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Last edited by DenverInfill; Nov 29, 2014 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 6:10 PM
Denver

Quote:

First, the proposals for the 12-story Best Western and the 17-story Hotel Gold Crown were fledgling pre-recession proposals that are long dead. They have nothing to do with anything anymore.

Second, Makovsky's Block 162 project (California, 16th, Welton, and 15th) is a completely separate project rumored to include a full-service Hilton hotel if and when that project moves forward. It also has nothing to do with the dual-branded hotels.

Now we get to the dual branded hotels. White Lodging had two separate dual-brand hotel deals in the works, both with very similar designs in buildings of approximately 21 stories each. One, a dual-branded Hyatt and the other, we'll call dual-branded Hotel XY. White was working to secure two sites for these two hotel projects near the convention center, one at 15th and California and one at 14th and Glenarm. It will help if you keep in mind that the hotel chains themselves do not usually develop their own properties. Developers build the buildings on behalf of the hotel chains that have signed a lease agreement with the developer to operate the property.

Originally, White's plan was to put the Hyatt at the 15th and California site and Hotel XY at 14th and Glenarm. Their architects even prepared renderings showing the Hyatt at 15th and California. However, negotiations with Hyatt moved along more quickly than with Hotel XY, but negotiations to acquire the 14th and Glenarm site moved along more quickly than the 15th and California site. So, White decided to switch the Hyatt to the 14th and Glenarm site so that it could get underway as soon as possible. Fortunately for White, the general size and shape of the two sites are very similar, so they were able to take the design of the Hyatt tower proposed for 15th and California and modify it to fit at 14th and Glenarm. Meanwhile, when negotiations with Hotel XY and the 15th and California site are finalized, they will announce that project and get under construction with a tower that will be similar to they Hyatt going in at 14th and Glenarm.

Anyway, that is a crude explanation for what I've heard through the grapevine. I hope it helps.
ugggh please no more white lodging buildings around the convention center. I really can not stand the liberal use of stucco and meh colors / designs

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all of this.

And though the explanation makes sense, it seems that realities on the ground are a bit boggling. But Hyatt wanted it more, so all the best for them for taking the opportunity to make available to themselves to what was there. And the Convention Center seems to need more rooms in the area - NOW!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 5:04 PM
ColoRADo

Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70
A building permit application has been submitted for the dual brand hotel at 15th and California. It looks like the brands will be Le Meridien and AC. The Starwood Hotels website shows it opening in July 2017.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 5:42 PM
ColoRADo

Finally, found a rendering...

SOURCE

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Finally, found a rendering...

The building is okay (my opinion), but a 1000% improvement (if this is where I think it's going) if it is going to be eliminating a surface parking lot, especially near the convention/arts area.

And especially since it is near the convention center, these additional rooms are needed now with all that is going on in the area. I think a good time relatively to be going into the market with this (although who knows what may/can actually happen and then the opposite instead?).

This is a project I would think to actually cheer for..... yes, some ultra something or other 150 story spectacular design building could be built in its place instead... right? ....... but it is what it is......

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 8:31 PM
ColoRADo

This building is under construction (or close to it by forum definition):

Denver Urban Review

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 5:20 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Can we rename this to Le Meridien / AC Hotel?

Also, this is now under-construction: Tower crane base is in.

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 1:20 AM

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 7:40 PM

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 11:23 PM
Up Up and Away

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 12:58 AM
Up Up and Away

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive