HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 9:30 PM
Hello World

Uber fight continues:

B.C. to use undercover inspectors to target unlicensed Uber drivers

Quote:
The B.C. government will dispatch undercover inspectors to fine Uber drivers if the ride-sharing service launches without proper licences, says the transportation minister.

Todd Stone said Monday he has directed extra enforcement officers to be on the ready if Uber launches in Vancouver - as has been rumoured - without obtaining proper approvals and licensing that regulates the rest of the taxi industry.
Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/undercov...#ixzz3I2khEoV1

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 9:47 PM
BANNED

Funny how they'd spend money to send people around to look for uber drivers..

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st7860 View Post
Funny how they'd spend money to send people around to look for uber drivers..
anyone have a campaign donation log from Todd Stone and the Libs in general? Might be interesting to have a look at that if the government is hellbent on dropping money to "catch uber"

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:25 AM

I would like to see the Auditor General of Municipalities for BC to investigate this. If that SFU report is true it is a fundamental restriction of the free market that has no justification.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:54 AM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 7:06 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
anyone have a campaign donation log from Todd Stone and the Libs in general?
Lots of data is available on Elections BC's website. I searched "taxi" and came up with quite a bit (try sorting by amount, tons for both the Libs and the NDP).

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
Lots of data is available on Elections BC's website. I searched "taxi" and came up with quite a bit (try sorting by amount, tons for both the Libs and the NDP).
Interesting. Donations go to both the Liberal and NDP parties for the taxi companies themselves.

What I find far more concerning is that an industry association is actively funding a political party. Or in this case both political parties. The Vancouver Taxi Association gave $28,000 to the liberal and NDP. Having Non-Profits feed money to political parties is concerning.

Specific candidates that were supported include: ADRIAN DIX; HAYER, DAVE; HAYER, DAVE in addition to both parties.

I did a goggle search on the Vancouver association, and came up with the BC association. Boy do these guys have their own perspective on the world.....

Quote:
The taxi industry has been victim due to their own fears, misconceptions and insecurity. It is high time we stop paying BLOOD MONEY . We are and should be in the field of providing a safe , courtesy and professional taxi service to the general public for reasonable rates instead of buying business practices by bidding and overbidding . Millions and millions dollars are wasted every year which can be very well spend on better training, better safety and better life for us and our families. Let us stay in competition for providing better taxi service instead of competing for buying business and provide a safe and convenient taxi service to the general public .
There were lengthy discussions about the CENTRAL DISPATCH SYSTEM and UBER type of Technologies. UBER type APPS operations can make the taxi industry financially unviable. These type of operations will continue to enter the back door and then muscle their way up through social media and local politics and politicians who do not understand or if they understand the importance of public safety and professional taxi service available to all sects of the society on 24/7 basis, yet want to avoid the social media pressure for short time relief. It is high time that the taxi industry join hands together to protect their livelihood and investment.
http://bctaxiassociation.com/news_1.html

I think it is high time we completely deregulate this industry. Anyone who meets the ICBC insurance and safety standards should be free to operate a taxi.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I think it is high time we completely deregulate this industry. Anyone who meets the ICBC insurance and safety standards should be free to operate a taxi.
Ding ding ding...

I also think its time for any politician to be excused from involving themselves on ANY issue from where they have received a donation. Whether its taxi, liquor, development, oil... doesn't matter.

We should also not allow any not for profit from donating money to ANY political cause or party. It's wrong that a donation to these groups and any sort of member or association fees is tax deductible and then they turn around and throw that money at political causes. Frankly remove that tax receipt from any political donation but do you think ANY politician would vote on that?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 8:54 PM
BANNED

it would be funny if those DOZENS of officers were funded from his own pocket

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/11/u...ercover-sting/

“We will have dozens of undercover enforcement officers who will be at the ready to ensure that anyone who is providing a taxi-like service is doing so with a proper licence,” said Stone in a press conference, according to The Canadian Press.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 8:56 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
That means having a Class 4 license and commercial insurance on the vehicle right?

I'm fine with that. However both sides are not telling the full story here. Uber says they do full background checks and insure for $5M, whatever that means.

But if you look on their site it seems like any schmoe can sign up as a driver, which isn't really true either, unless you want to operate illegally.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st7860 View Post
I used to catch a cab to/from YVR all the time from what is in the $41 zone (pretty much the middle of the zone) and it was $30 +/- $1 every time. Nice price hike.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 4:40 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 11:03 PM

Uber started a petition

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 11:11 PM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 7:07 AM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 11:13 PM
More Towers

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 12:36 AM
More Towers

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
anyone have a campaign donation log from Todd Stone and the Libs in general? Might be interesting to have a look at that if the government is hellbent on dropping money to "catch uber"
How is that different from any special interest group, company or union funding political parties? I'm far more concerned about developers being able to fund municipal candidates who approve their projects, or unions funding candidates who are then supposed to negotiate with those unions and get the best deal for taxpayers.

That said, this is a big waste of government resources trying to hold back technology. If Vancouver cab drivers were a fantastic breed with incredible knowledge I'd be more outraged. As it is they're often shitty drivers who can barely communicate with passengers.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 3:33 AM

The drivers are making peanuts, the companies hold the licenses in the city (all except 1), and they are the oligopoly that is the problem.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
The drivers are making peanuts, the companies hold the licenses in the city (all except 1), and they are the oligopoly that is the problem.
And yet the taxi drivers support the status quo..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure