HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 6:56 PM

Vancouver Rideshare Discussion

From the looks of it Uber is looking for Drivers in Vancouver to service UberX and UberBlack service. This excites me! Glad to see them coming back and trying to make a go with our dumb regulations here.

Link to the driver applications https://partners.uber.com/signup/vancouver/

(and no this isn't for Vancouver, WA aka "The Couve")

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 7:07 PM

Awesome.

Make sure to write the Passenger Transportation Board if you want them to allow more taxis/carshares, I have.

Also, this SFU masters' thesis is a fantastic overview of how the taxi cartel operates here.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 8:40 PM

Fantastic. I love how Uber has been pretty fearless in other jurisdictions where the taxi cartel and busy-body bureaucrats have tried to shut them out.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 2:04 PM
BANNED

https://www.fcpp.org/posts/taxis-far...ence-to-800000

Gary Tarantino owns arguably the most valuable taxi in Vancouver, in an industry already known for its breathtakingly high licence values. Tarantino's Licence 70384 could easily command more than $1 million in a business where the average Vancouver taxi costs $800,000. That's because he is the last holdout of independent taxi owners in an industry where all of the other 687 licences are held by the city's four taxi companies.

The Passenger Transportation Board, which governs the taxi industry, lists Yellow Cabs, Blacktop/Checker Cabs, Vancouver Cabs and MacLure's, the city's oldest, as the operators of 588 full-time taxi licences. They also have 99 other "temporary operating permits" for weekend and peak service, of which 65 are active. All of the permits are held in the names of the taxi companies.

And then there is a single line in the PTB's books for the holder of Licence 70384, Gary Albert Tarantino. It is an anomaly left over after all other independent owners converted their licences into company shares in order to finance and consolidate a fractured taxi industry. That consolidation has helped stabilize a business buffeted by high operating expenses and

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 8:05 PM

I read that Vancouver cab rates are double that of NYC and other major cities.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
I read that Vancouver cab rates are double that of NYC and other major cities.
There is a lot of truth in that.

Uber's minimum charge of 12 bucks for black car service actually ends up being cheaper than a cab if you are going from say chinatown to denman.

Every time I used uber i would never go above the minimum fare and in general the cab fare would be at least equivilent if not more.

In other cities the cab would be cheaper than uber black by ~25%

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 3:49 AM

So what's the deal, Uber has fought (and won) against established taxi regulations in many other cities. Is Vancouver somehow different? Why did Uber check out so fast when someone complained about them?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 4:00 AM
More Towers

Quote:
The ride-sharing and car-hire operation Uber says it wants to re-establish itself in Vancouver two years after the B.C. transportation regulator exiled it from the region.

A spokesperson said Sunday that the company is working through the details to resume the service that uses a smartphone application to link passengers to drivers for hire, and they want to be back in B.C.

“We were sad to leave. We have always looked to come back,” Arielle Goren said in an interview from the San Francisco area – home base for the five-year-old, multibillion-dollar enterprise that operates in 210 cities around the world and has faced ferocious opposition, including protests from taxi companies who see it as a threat.

“We’ve made no secret we are working hard to come back to Vancouver.”

Through its app, Uber links the public and various ride options, including taxis, limousine services and members of the public who have been vetted through background checks to offer rides for payment.

But it was ousted from Vancouver in 2012 when the provincial Passenger Transportation Board requested the company seek a limousine licence, requiring customers to spend a minimum $75 for each trip. Uber objected, and withdrew from B.C.

Ms. Goren said there was no timeline for the return – though a company representative met with Councillor Geoff Meggs two weeks ago to declare its renewed interest in operating in Vancouver.

“We’re happy to work with people to craft regulation that makes sense for what it is that we do and what our business model is, which is a platform that connects riders to drivers,” she said. “We hope we can work with local stakeholders, with city council, with the mayor, with whoever the relevant entities are in a particular city to understand we are not taxis, we have something to offer to both riders and drivers, that we seek to become part of the fabric of every community that we enter and we have something really valuable to offer.”

Ms. Goren declined to get into specifics about what Uber will aim to do differently this time around. She said Vancouver has a dysfunctional taxi system that puts its interests ahead of the convenience of its customers.

“We believe there is space for us to come in and serve drivers and serve riders,” Ms. Goren said.

Mohan Kang, president of the B.C. Taxi Association, was skeptical about Uber’s place in the province on a second attempt, suggesting that the company disregards the rules of the business in B.C.

He said in an interview on Sunday that he hoped the transportation board would stick by its previous 2012 decision that forced Uber out of the province.

Mr. Meggs said an executive from Uber came to see him two weeks ago to talk about the company’s interest in coming back to Vancouver. He said the executive did not spell out exactly how it wanted to proceed. “It was a good conversation.”

Mr. Meggs, a member of the Vision Vancouver party that has a majority on council, said there will be a motion to council this week to freeze the status quo for six months while staff study the issues – past the election in November. “How they want to proceed here and when I am not exactly sure,” he said.

Mr. Meggs said it’s clear that people in the Vancouver region want more transportation options, but it’s unclear how to meet that need in the current regulatory environment while also maintaining standards. He said the issue is larger than Vancouver given that each municipality in the Lower Mainland has its own rules on taxis.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle20822761/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
So what's the deal, Uber has fought (and won) against established taxi regulations in many other cities. Is Vancouver somehow different? Why did Uber check out so fast when someone complained about them?
They've also fought and lost again countries, like Germany.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 4:27 PM

Quote:
But it was ousted from Vancouver in 2012 when the provincial Passenger Transportation Board requested the company seek a limousine licence, requiring customers to spend a minimum $75 for each trip. Uber objected, and withdrew from B.C.
Wow, one of the most absurd regulations I've seen.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Wow, one of the most absurd regulations I've seen.
That's because the taxi/limo companies live deep in certain politicians pockets. The limo companies are protecting their interests in gouging the consumer in BC.

Listening to the Taxi people talk about Uber not adhering to "Business Practices in BC" is a complete joke. God forbid someone came in and forced the taxi companies to up their game and offer better service. I can't even count the number of times I have gotten into some beat down rebuild taxi that feels like it is on the verge of exploding or falling apart. Long wait times and high prices on top of that it's no wonder these guys are worried about someone like uber coming to town.

UberX is whatever... would like to see Uber Black make a return.

I do also believe that one of the largest limo companies in town is owned by the major shareholder in one of the cab companies.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:04 PM

Taxis are a racket in the Lower Mainland. Here's some proof:

http://www.news1130.com/2014/09/29/v...n-up-for-uber/

Why is this considered to be a Vancouver issue. Richmond, Surrey, and other jurisdictions have companies based there too right? Is there some kind of metro-wide agreement on taxi cabs?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 6:00 PM

I still don't understand how Uber plans to get around the provincial and municipal regulations??

In the City of Van the four cab companies endlessly lobby the municipal and provincial governments to ensure that regulations keep fares and license values artificially inflated.

For years I've been surprised that the collusion in the City of Vancouver taxi industry hasn't become more of a public/political issue but I guess people that can afford cabs (wealthier people or tourists, etc) are less likely to complain.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 7:28 PM

I don't think the cost of the cabs is the problem so much as the service and the availability. I don't think uber would be much cheaper based on what I've read from other cities.

But, getting a cab on Friday at 10pm would be possible in under an hour, not to mention holiday party season or NYE.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
I still don't understand how Uber plans to get around the provincial and municipal regulations??

In the City of Van the four cab companies endlessly lobby the municipal and provincial governments to ensure that regulations keep fares and license values artificially inflated.

For years I've been surprised that the collusion in the City of Vancouver taxi industry hasn't become more of a public/political issue but I guess people that can afford cabs (wealthier people or tourists, etc) are less likely to complain.
I think uber will just deal with it until they can get it passed as they do in most cities. Get people using the service and seeing how much better it is than the current offering and boom... Uber is legal. Once you have critical mass backing you, people will be angry when it isn't available.

When Uber first came to Vancouver it was fairly new and didn't have a wide user base. Now a few years later Uber is huge and available globally.

Their pockets are also deep enough to deal with fines levied while they fight the legal issues. The other thing is that Uber has the ability to make it an issue via social media channels as well.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 7:43 PM

The $75 minimum on limo services isn't absurd at all. It makes perfect sense if you are trying to keep out other services and want to keep service fees higher than they might be without the rule.

This also complicated by the issue of each city in the GVRD having their own cab rules and cab companies. Richmond/Burnaby/Surrey cabs can drop off fares in Vancouver but the Vancouver rules say cabs from cities outside of Vancouver can't then pick up a fare in Vancouver - even if the destination is the city where they are based. An example of one of the many problems and duplications with having a patchwork of municipalities.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 3:29 AM

I hope Uber has deep pockets as Vancouver is a city that is run by deep pockets. News today indicated that if any cab driver that is involved with uber they will be terminated. Also that the regs are so corporate that it is impossible for anyone to get a new piece of the pie. I do hope uber takes off but being a guy that has tried to fight city hall here they have there work cut out for them.

Also how does uber screen there drivers.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
Also how does uber screen there drivers.
I would think they'd do a criminal background check, a credit check, check for insurance, driving record, maybe ask for references, etc.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 1:35 PM

I haven't tried Uber, but I used Lyft, when I was in LA recently, and wow! Great service, friendly driver, clean car, complimentary bottled water, and icing on the cake, super cheap rates! My fare from a hotel near LAX to WeHo was about half the price of a regular cab! I'd love to see these services in more Canadian cities!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:34 PM

Uber does a background check, and allegedly "checks for the proper insurance" on the vehicle.

I think they might need a little more regulation, but certainly the taxi monopoly needs to be broken one way or another.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure