HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 11:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxbyrd View Post
They now play at the Ritz Carlton but anyway
And you claim to have been to this?

The RITZ CARLTON is located AT DOVE MOUNTAIN, which is the same subdivision where GALLERY GOLF CLUB is located.

It's been the same location and same place for years. I've played the golf course a bunch.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 12:40 AM

Yes, but it's not the Gallery anymore. I've been to the tournament at both courses. By the way it's pretty far off the highway, a lot further than the average house in Casa Grande so 35 minutes is not that far.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 1:12 AM
BANNED

did they build a fourth 18 holes there?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 7:02 AM

Although Arizona's slowdown in population growth is no surprise, the latest U.S. Census estimates reveal some interesting data:

--Nationally, one in five Americans live in either California or Texas, and nearly a third of the nation lives in four states: California, Texas, New York and Florida.

--With 6,595,778 residents as of July 1, 2009, Arizona nudged out Massachusetts as the country's 14th most populous state.

--Even with 34% growth during this decade, metro Phoenix still trails the pace of the mid-size cities of Raleigh, NC (41%), Las Vegas (38%), and Austin, TX (36%).

--The recent high-growth counties of Yavapai and Mohave have slowed significantly, with Flagstaff gaining more population this past year than Prescott, and Mohave County actually losing population.

For more info.:
http://www.census.gov/popest/estbygeo.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tistical_Areas

Census estimates show sharp drop in Arizona's population growth
Mar 24, 2010
Ryan Van Velzer
Cronkite News Service

Population growth in Arizona has slowed dramatically since the housing downturn and recession hit, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates released Tuesday. Arizona's population grew by around 95,000 people in 2009, fewer than half the number it added in 2005 and 2006, according to the estimates. The news comes as the Census Bureau begins its decennial count of the U.S. population that will determine how much political representation Arizona gets in Washington and how much federal money the state receives.

William Keating, an associate professor with Arizona State University's School of Government, Politics and Global Studies, said it's too soon to tell whether the numbers foreshadow bad news when it comes to more seats in the U.S. House of Representatives. That depends on what happens in other states, he said. "Arizona is on track for the ninth seat; the real issue is will we get a 10th, which is dependent on the census numbers," Keating said.

The Census Bureau derived net population growth estimates from births and deaths and people moving into and out of the state. The biggest change in 2009 was a drop-off in people moving to Arizona from within the U.S., according to its data. The slowing growth was most pronounced in Maricopa County, which for the first time in the decade didn't have the nation's largest increase in residents. It had a net population increase of about 65,000, down from a peak of about 145,000 in 2005, and trailed Texas' Harris County, which includes Houston, and Los Angeles County. The Phoenix metropolitan area's net population growth was estimated at around 77,000 in 2009, down from a peak of about 162,000 in 2006, when it led the nation. The Phoenix area's growth trailed the Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Washington and Atlanta metropolitan areas.

Marshall Vest, an economist with the University of Arizona's Eller College of Management, said a lack of jobs in the state and a nationwide slowdown in home sales and available financing have contributed to the slowing growth. "It's been a very severe recession unlike anything we have seen here," he said. Vest said Arizona's economy does appear to be improving, though many growth-related industries won't have as many jobs as before the recession. Garrick Taylor, director of communications for the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry, said the state has relied too heavily on commercial and residential construction and needs to do a better job of encouraging sustainable economic growth. Legislation creating a better environment for businesses would promote jobs and a more stable economy, he said. "We need to put more tools in Arizona's economic toolbox to promote economic diversity," Taylor said.

Growth in cities
U.S. Census Bureau estimates of net population growth in Arizona’s metropolitan statistical areas and micropolitan statistical areas during 2009, along with the year of the county’s peak net population growth since 2000. There were no estimates for La Paz and Apache counties.

Metropolitan Statistical Areas
* Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale: 76,771 | (161,229 in 2005)
* Tucson: 10,368 | (26,511 in 2006)
* Yuma: 3,673 | (6,194 in 2005)
* Flagstaff: 1,423 | (2,587 in 2002)
* Prescott: 756 | (9,139 in 2006)
* Lake Havasu City-Kingman: Minus 776 | (7,627 in 2005)

Micropolitan Statistical Areas
* Sierra Vista-Douglas: 1,093 | (2,402 in 2005)
* Safford: 824 | (1,766 in 2008)
* Nogales: 638 | (936 in 2005)
* Show Low: 627 | (2,032 in 2006)
* Payson: Minus 74 | (721 in 2006)

Growth in counties
U.S. Census Bureau estimates of net population growth in Arizona counties during 2009, along with the year of the county’s peak net population growth since 2000. There were no estimates for La Paz and Apache counties.
* Maricopa: 64,869 | (144,496 in 2005)
* Pinal: 11,902 | (32,996 in 2006)
* Pima: 10,368 | (26,511 in 2006)
* Yuma: 3,673 | (6,194 in 2005)
* Coconino: 1,423 | (2,587 in 2002)
* Cochise: 1,093 | (2,402 in 2005)
* Graham: 841 | (1,468 in 2008)
* Yavapai: 756 | (9,139 in 2006)
* Santa Cruz: | 638 (936 in 2005)
* Navajo: 627 | (2,809 in 2002)
* Greenlee: Minus 17 | (298 in 2008)
* Gila: Minus 74 | (721 in 2006)
* Mohave: Minus 776 | (6,784 on 2005)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 10:43 PM

We are likely to see a pretty nice increase in federal funds, thanks in large part to the growth in the first 3/4ths of this decade. CNN had a likely "winners and losers" of the new census, and Phoenix was a winner. It's still amazing to me that people think, and reputable sources like CNN reaffirm, it's all retirees moving here. Here's the link to Phoenix being on the "winners" list at CNN... and also their stupid commentary.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/..._losers/5.html

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 11:41 PM

We might get a ninth seat? I thought it was all but a done deal.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:45 PM
BANNED

Yeah I thought we might get a 10th seat, 9 was a lock....

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
It's still amazing to me that people think, and reputable sources like CNN reaffirm, it's all retirees moving here. Here's the link to Phoenix being on the "winners" list at CNN... and also their stupid commentary.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/..._losers/5.html
Well when one thinks of AZ, many visuals come to mind. When back in Boston, I was asked if AZ has Pyramids too. Seriously. We are considered a "Sand State" too, as if we look like the Sahara.

Phoenix makes national headlines constantly, but its always bad news. I get calls all the time from family and they tell me how dangerous it is here.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 3:57 PM

/\ Who are these people on the East Coast? I mean it's unbelievable. I've heard stories about people back east thinking we still ride horses, have shoot out with indians, etc.. I mean seriously, can people (that are supposedly the most educated in the country) really be this stupid, or live in complete East Coast isolation? And you can't tell me, especially in sports, there isn't an East Coast bias.

On the other hand, I have a best friend living in Maryland now from Phoenix. She gets told all the time how lucky she is to be from Phoenix and how much they want to move here.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 5:16 PM

what people don't realize is that Arizona isn't really dangerous at all, unless you are involved in drug trafficking or illegal immigration. Those are the main problem, and the kidnappings and shootings are mostly those people.

I think the bias against Arizona is an east coast thing.. I have friends up and down the west coast that would love to move here.. but i have a friend in new york who thinks its a barren desert with a few adobe huts here and there.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 5:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
/\ Who are these people on the East Coast? I mean it's unbelievable. I've heard stories about people back east thinking we still ride horses, have shoot out with indians, etc.. I mean seriously, can people (that are supposedly the most educated in the country) really be this stupid, or live in complete East Coast isolation? And you can't tell me, especially in sports, there isn't an East Coast bias.
Here is my take on the issue:

The highly educated are biased: The Eastern Establishment, old money will always be biased. As long as DC, NY, Boston (Bos-Wash megalop) run the show (money, power, media, education) everything else is secondary. Even the cities outside of the 95 corridor or south of DC, upstate NY is the boonies, remnants of the civil war still exist, northerners still believe they're superior to southerners and vice versa.

The dumb as shit locals are biased too: aka "townies" (and there are plenty of them in each and every city/neighborhood) won't even go cross-town or to another neighborhood within the city. They have too much pride of where they're from. Hard to explain, but its the mentality of "I have everything I need right here, why would I ever go there?" This is why you have people that refer to their neighborhood vs. their city. "I'm from Dorchester, not Boston", or BK vs NY etc.

Its not just an eastern thing, CA has this mentality too. Locals only etc, but they just don't have the media, power or major financial institutions clustered in a small area to broadcast their biases. Inland CA, "East County" is almost a bad word to many Southern Californians, and AZ to them is extreme inland. I hear this all the time.

Arizonans have their own biases too, but they aren't on a national scale. Phx vs. Tucson, Westside vs. East Valley, Dry vs. Humid.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Here is my take on the issue:

The highly educated are biased: The Eastern Establishment, old money will always be biased. As long as DC, NY, Boston (Bos-Wash megalop) run the show (money, power, media, education) everything else is secondary. Even the cities outside of the 95 corridor or south of DC, upstate NY is the boonies, remnants of the civil war still exist, northerners still believe they're superior to southerners and vice versa.

The dumb as shit locals are biased too: aka "townies" (and there are plenty of them in each and every city/neighborhood) won't even go cross-town or to another neighborhood within the city. They have too much pride of where they're from. Hard to explain, but its the mentality of "I have everything I need right here, why would I ever go there?" This is why you have people that refer to their neighborhood vs. their city. "I'm from Dorchester, not Boston", or BK vs NY etc.

Its not just an eastern thing, CA has this mentality too. Locals only etc, but they just don't have the media, power or major financial institutions clustered in a small area to broadcast their biases. Inland CA, "East County" is almost a bad word to many Southern Californians, and AZ to them is extreme inland. I hear this all the time.

Arizonans have their own biases too, but they aren't on a national scale. Phx vs. Tucson, Westside vs. East Valley, Dry vs. Humid.

That's totally true, but to not know something as simple as basic climate or geography or cultue is astounding to me. For someone to think people living in Phoenix are in an extremely dangerous area, ride horses, have teepees or pyramids, or have no water or even plants - only sand, is ridiculous. To me, that's common sense, and people lacking that are complete morons, no matter how much education they supposedly have.

How do they think we support professional sports teams? No doubt they know about the Cardinals or Suns or Diamondbacks... how the hell are those teams in existence or supported if we are merely a few cowboys and indians and live in teepees? Is there a giant teepee in the middle of nowhere surrounded by sand that has a basketball court in it? Any moron with 1/564564564564564653219654th of a brain would understand that to have a professional team, you need a real city with people and infrastructure and money and not a dangerous barren wilderness with people basically living as they did in the 1700s and 1800s.

I remember in '99 when the D-backs were new and we played the Mets in the playoffs. They were interviewing NY fans and asking them about baseball fans in AZ and just Phoenix in general. Their responses were so completely lacking common sense I couldn't believe it. It was unfathomable to them that we could be real/knowledgable baseball fans (as if we had never spoken the the word "baseball" until '98 when the d-backs came to town) let alone live in a place that was inhabitated by more than 100 people living in huts. The funny thing is people like that, especially from the east coast, think they are such geniuses, but in reality they are basically the dumbest people walking the planet.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 7:27 PM

As someone who used to live in NYC, let me tell you - you NEVER mention you are from Phoenix at a Yankees game. They know we are a city, they are WELL aware we have a team, and are none too happy about either.

Manhattan is an island in more ways than one. I've never met such self-absorbed people.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's totally true, but to not know something as simple as basic climate or geography or cultue is astounding to me.
I agree. I'm the type of person that is interested in what lies beyond that hill. I like to travel and experience new peoples, places and cultures. Thats why I majored in Geography (almost meteorology) I guess.

But let's not forget that the number of Arizonans with absolutely no clue of the outside world is absurdly high also.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
I agree. I'm the type of person that is interested in what lies beyond that hill. I like to travel and experience new peoples, places and cultures. Thats why I majored in Geography (almost meteorology) I guess.

But let's not forget that the number of Arizonans with absolutely no clue of the outside world is absurdly high also.
No doubt, there are dumbasses all over the place. But the rest of the "unknown" world, not as much our own country as East Coasters.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 12:29 AM

Let's face it, most people aren't all that bright.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 1:54 AM

So what's up with this...

Today I got the Census envelope in the mail...but it's my second one. I already mailed out the first one a week or so ago.

Also, my mother-in-law, she filled it out and mailed it in as well and today a Census person showed up at her house.

Things seem pretty disorganized, no?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 2:20 AM
BANNED

They put the minorities in charge and they have been throwing away all the white people's balotts.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
So what's up with this...

Today I got the Census envelope in the mail...but it's my second one. I already mailed out the first one a week or so ago.

Also, my mother-in-law, she filled it out and mailed it in as well and today a Census person showed up at her house.

Things seem pretty disorganized, no?
It's government redundancy/draconian laws. I have to ask a veteran if he has his service treatment records (if they aren't in his file) 3 times even if after the first time he says he doesn't have them.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post

1. Will Phoenix reach 1.6 million? Phoenix had 1.321 million in the 2000 census, and due to massive growth from 2000 to 2006, should show an increase. The latest estimates put Phoenix at around 1.55 million.
It certainly looks like it has reached and surpassed 1.6 Million. Not only that, but it has continued to grow at a pretty impressive rate given the current conditions...

Phoenix current population: 1,638,283
Phoenix growth since July 2009: +2.4%
Phoenix growth since 2005: +11.4%
Phoenix growth since 2000: +23.4%

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...y-at-no-5.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest