HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Setai Fifth Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 5:40 AM

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:18 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:30 PM

This forum needs more posters like you NYguy. Maybe one for each city

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 12:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
This forum needs more posters like you NYguy. Maybe one for each city
I don't know about that, but there is a lot to keep track of, even in this "down" period of construction. Luckily a lot of the New York projects are nearing completion and we should have a little breather before we're racing from project to project again. This tower has turned out to be a nice addition to 5th Avenue, one of the under-the-radar towers.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 4:28 PM

Agreed, this one is "under the radar" for most, but, it's in my top five favorite bldg under construction in NYC. The others are: Beekman, 11 TimeSq., Saya; Toren; with honorable mention to 123 Washington and Goldman Sachs.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 12:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Stretching up there above the pack now...

mr.seymour

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 2:26 AM

I love this..

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 1:39 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Damn! This thing is moving fast!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 6:47 PM

How much taller will this thing rise?? 10 more floors??

I think this definitely one of the best new towers in the City...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
How much taller will this thing rise?? 10 more floors??

I think this definitely one of the best new towers in the City...
10 more tops. I count about 38/39 above the podium, and I can't recall the height of the podium, but I thought it was something like 10. It may only be about 7 more floors to go. Just a few more weeks and this will be all topped out. The cladding is going up surprisingly fast as well. It's a shame this tower isn't about 100-200 ft taller, and I don't normally say that, but it has a nice design that I think would look just as good with some extra height.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 7:40 AM

How come the Eventi looks so much taller even though they should be around the same number of floors right now and the Setai is suppose to be taller, too?

Eventi

Setai

I've seen both in person also and this holds true from ground level also.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 1:47 PM

The cladding of this one from a distance is quite complementary to the Empire State Building. They're quite similar.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
How come the Eventi looks so much taller even though they should be around the same number of floors right now and the Setai is suppose to be taller, too?

I've seen both in person also and this holds true from ground level also.
Two ideas. The podium is much shorter on the Eventi, making the tower portion appear much taller. Also, the height of everything around the Eventi is also much shorter (and the street wall as well). I've walked by the Eventi and it does feel VERY tall. I have not walked by 400 5th (this the lack of photos from me), so I'm less sure of it. I'll have to cruise over there when it's nice out one afternoon. Next time I go to the compleat strategist.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 4:27 PM

^ I thought about those possible reasons too but I am not convinced that the base is that much shorter. It is shorter but not by that much.

If you notice the floor heights for the base on the Eventi is really higher than the ones on the Setai.

I'd say the top of the Eventi's base is equal to about the sixth or seventh floor of the Setai's. (Setai's base has 10 floors.)

So does the added three floors on the Setai's base really make that much of a difference? I think it's got to be something else.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 4:37 PM

Quote:
^ I thought about those possible reasons too but I am not convinced that the base is that much shorter. It is shorter but not by that much.

If you notice the floor heights for the base on the Eventi is really higher than the ones on the Setai.

I'd say the top of the Eventi's base is equal to about the sixth or seventh floor of the Setai's. (Setai's base has 10 floors.)

So does the added three floors on the Setai's base really make that much of a difference? I think it's got to be something else.
Two other issues in the photo above. I count about 45 floors on the Setai and 52 floors on the Eventi, so it is actually taller right now. Additionally, the Setai photo is taken from a much steeper angle with other tall buildings near it as compared to the Eventi photo. I know that doesn't explain it from the street, but I guess accurate heights/floor counts for both buildings would be handy at some point.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 3:04 AM
ledru rollin

Quote:
It's also an affect of the distance from which the photos were taken. I assume both were shot from the ESB, the Eventi was shot with more of a zoom and is farther away than the Setai. In other words, relative perspective combined with the fact the Eventi is more slim street-side.

It's also possible the Eventi shot was taken from a lower floor.

Anywho, I'm interested in seeing a floor section/interior photo of the Setai, those windows are quite elaborate.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That cladding is really nice and should look great as it weathers. Is that precast or actual limestone? If it's precast, it's the best I've seen.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 4:32 AM
ledru rollin

^Indiana Limestone set in a pre-cast backing.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 6:11 AM

yes, it looks like a real limestone indeed

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 7:02 PM
New Yorker for life

From this angle, it really does look like a little brother (or sister) to the Empire State...

M+MD

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive