HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Trillium on South Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 2:10 PM
Closed account

I like the new design much better. The more modern look will help distinguish it from Park Vic (assuming it goes ahead).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 5:35 PM

I was having a browse through the new HRM by Design information released today and they support tall buildings going up on the west end of the SGR district. If council follows these recommendations this building should be approved easily.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 2:35 PM

I atended the PAC meeting last night - Bev Miller, acting Chairperson of the committee did her very best to scuttle this one, however the remaining committee members accepted the staff recommendation to put it forward to the next step. The PAC and HAC meetings are observation only, but if you want an inside look at why things are so disfunctional you try to attend. This Bev Miller person has been anti-development for 25 years, and yet she is in a position of "impartial mediator"?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone456 View Post
I atended the PAC meeting last night - Bev Miller, acting Chairperson of the committee did her very best to scuttle this one, however the remaining committee members accepted the staff recommendation to put it forward to the next step. The PAC and HAC meetings are observation only, but if you want an inside look at why things are so disfunctional you try to attend. This Bev Miller person has been anti-development for 25 years, and yet she is in a position of "impartial mediator"?
Are these meetings open to the public?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 6:27 PM

yes - the public may attend however NO input, just observe.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 6:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The PAC is meant as a "first pass" to weed out totally inappropriate developments I guess. There still has to be a public consultation and then council decision. As mentioned in the other thread, I find the PAC step pointless and flawed. The HAC is similar. Both have become mechanisms for obstructionism, and in reality I don't think anybody on those committees is any kind of "expert" (if such a thing is even possible). Why is Bev Miller's opinion worth more than that of some random person who gets up to talk at a council debate or sends in a letter?

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 3:22 AM

I think something happened in council tonight about this proposal. Does anyone know if it got approved? Or is the verdict still out?

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 5:14 AM

This went to council a few weeks ago and will continue now to the public hearing stage. Tonights meeting was about The Alexander, the 21 story tower for the brewery. It was also put through to the public hearing stage.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 6:08 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm not sure why they do this vote to determine whether or not the development goes to a public hearing. It's not as if there are huge numbers of these developments being proposed and the idea that project details should be withheld from the public based on the whims of the HAC, council, etc. is questionable to say the least. These preliminary votes come off either as pointless rubber stamping or paternalist (which itself is a huge joke given who is on some of these committees).

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 4:00 PM

An article from today Herald. (I'm posting it in both towers respective threads.)

Downtown projects move ahead
21-storey condo development and 19-storey residential building sent to public hearings
By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Wed. May 14 - 5:37 AM

It was a big night Tuesday at city hall for two proposed downtown developments after council agreed to send both to public hearings.

The projects are a 21-storey condo Halkirk wants to build on the south side of its Brewery Market property and a 19-storey residential building the W.M. Fares group is eyeing for the corner of Brenton and South Park streets.

While the Fares proposal elicited no debate among councillors, there were a few comments about Halkirk’s $30-million development.

That’s because the building, which had a thumbs-up from city planning staffers, drew some negative response from council’s heritage advisory committee.

That committee and the downtown planning advisory committee assist council by reviewing projects to ensure they fit within the city’s heritage and planning strategies.

Coun. Sue Uteck (Northwest Arm-South End) wondered whether the volunteers who sit on city boards have their responsibilities well outlined to them, especially when the projects are already recommended by city planning staffers.

"When you turn down a positive recommendation from staff, you are supposed to quote the applicable sections of the heritage act or the land-use bylaw or the (municipal planning strategy) that apply to that."

Neither of the advisory board reports on the project did that, she said.

"To me, it’s not the fault of the committees. . . . But if you are going to have a developer, in this particular instance, that has to go the 27 rounds we’d say in golf, then (the committees had) better have some concrete understanding of where they’re coming from before they get to . . . council."

But Coun. Dawn Sloane (Halifax Downtown) said the developer altered his plan within the last week, adding window and balcony bays to what had been a blank, sheer wall on the Bishop Street side.

"He went back and changed it . . . because I wasn’t willing to even take this to the public."

Coun. Patrick Murphy (Halifax North End) wondered whether accompanying multimillion-dollar renovations to Keith Hall, the 1863 mansion built for beer baron and former Halifax mayor Alexander Keith, would include interior as well as exterior building restoration.

While planner Paul Sampson said interior designs were not part of the development agreement, Ms. Sloane explained that original stained glass windows and other architectural features would remain intact.

Another councillor wondered how the new developments would be handled with the city’s downtown planning project, called HRM By Design, in the works.

Although the city has drafted new rules for downtown development through the project, the area is still governed by the old guidelines until council approves and implements the new plan.

That had Coun. Bob Harvey (Lower Sackville) wondering if any decision on the Halkirk proposal would be superseded by the new guidelines.

"It’s going to be a race between public hearings for these amendments and for the Halifax By Design amendments. I mean, which are we going to get first?"

Austin French, manager of planning, said the HRM By Design proposals probably wouldn’t be before council until mid-summer.

The public hearings on both downtown developments will likely be held within the next month.

( apugsley@herald.ca)

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 5:37 PM

I love that classic Sloane comment:

"He went back and changed it . . . because I wasn’t willing to even take this to the public."

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 4:59 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Public hearing scheduled for June 10:

June 10, 2008 Halifax Regional Council - 6:00 p.m.

Public Hearing:

Case 01046 - MPS/LUB Amendments and Development Agreement, South Park Street and Brenton Place, Halifax.

--

Not sure when it will go before council for the final decision. Based on what I've heard I don't foresee problems. I hope the project can get underway in a few months.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 2:33 AM

Some nice new renderings out on the cities website.

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case01046Details.html

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 6:16 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's the night one:

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 11:24 AM

Pretty.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 12:27 PM

That looks very good, lets make it happen.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 3:41 PM
Salty Town

That is a great looking building. This is the type of development that would work very well in the Young St./Kempt Rd. area as well.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:21 PM
Closed account

That's hot.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:33 PM

Thats a great looking building!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:55 PM

Awesome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth