HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 5:35 AM
senior something

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
You don't need bypass tracks at every single station... just where you expect trains to pass. Normally though it's the local trains that would pull into the side track to stop in the station while express trains whiz straight through. Because Skytrain is elevated and never designed to accomodate building express trains in the first place, it would be very expensive to implement an express train system.

Waterfront - Broadway - Metrotown - New Westminster - Scott Road (Interurban terminus) - Surrey Central - (future expansion parallel to Fraser Hwy)
Not only expensive, but as I mentioned, severely dispuptive to existing service.

And you would need 4 sets of tracks (2 in each direction) at EVERY station. For Waterfront, Broadway, Metrotown etc. as you mentioned, you'd need extra tracks with new platforms, at all the other station's you'd need bypass tracks.

The frequencies on the line are simply to high for the express to share the same platform at the stops that it would stop at; it would cause a backup of trains behind it.

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 8:20 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Updates:

Broadway: They have begun fencing off the area West of Broadway Station beside Scotiabank for the Mezzanine extension.

Surrey Central: They have begun sanding the tiles on the platform level for... repainting? Seems odd that they would do this before doing other renovations. Does anybody have any renders or information on what the plans are for this station's renovations?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 5:46 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
Platform doors are pretty cool, but.... there have been 10 accidental deaths since the system opened 23 years ago? Someone on here will know approximately how many rides have been taken in those 23 years... however many tens of millions it is, the odds of someone falling to their death on the Skytrain tracks must be absolutely minuscule. From a cost-benefit perspective, not nearly high enough to justify the millions and millions that platform doors will cost to install and maintain IMO.
It would keep the stations warmer, though.

The major barrier to this system, though, is not political will, it's different livery.

I'd like to see some consistency, myself. Not for platform doors, but rather, so people know where to line up for the doors and for consistent platform marking.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 6:02 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Updates:

Broadway: They have begun fencing off the area West of Broadway Station beside Scotiabank for the Mezzanine extension.

Surrey Central: They have begun sanding the tiles on the platform level for... repainting? Seems odd that they would do this before doing other renovations. Does anybody have any renders or information on what the plans are for this station's renovations?
I think you mean the CIBC, the Scotia bank is on the northwest corner and has nothing to do with the station work.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 6:14 PM
Shoebox Dweller

Yes, CIBC is correct. I associate both with being old and smelly.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
It would keep the stations warmer, though.

The major barrier to this system, though, is not political will, it's different livery.

I'd like to see some consistency, myself. Not for platform doors, but rather, so people know where to line up for the doors and for consistent platform marking.
yes, air conditioning and heating of stations would be much welcomed...as well as protection from wind and rain (lougheed station is one of the worst in terms of this...but I admit it's probably the only station that has the least obstructed view without much glass)

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 11:34 PM

From the VIA Architecture webiste - render of Main St Station renos:

http://www.via-architecture.com/proj...ion/index.html

Also interesting render to renovated New Westminster Station (integrated with Plaza 88 - not sure where the other track is - maybe this is on the north side of the westbound guideway):

http://www.via-architecture.com/proj...ign/index.html

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 11:41 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Thanks OD. The New Westminster Rendering looks a little unusual. It won't be as "open" when they have they install fare gates... that's for sure.

Also another rendering I haven't seen for Broadway STN:
http://www.via-architecture.com/proj...on/image04.jpg
Source: Via Architecture

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Thanks OD. The New Westminster Rendering looks a little unusual. It won't be as "open" when they have they install fare gates... that's for sure.
Exactly what I was thinking. I think all they have to do is add a glass wall with the exception of a few fare gates, unless the mall is only for fare paying transit users. lol. New Westminster Station all together needs to be reorganized, like the direct elevators from street level to platform level.

Looks nice regardless, lots of light on that end. The western end of New Westminster Station will almost be 'underground' by the time development of that block is finished.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 12:07 AM

When are the renovations of Broadway Station suppose to be completed? Because so far the station looks exactly the same as before except for the relocating of the elevator and some new lights.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 12:33 AM

I believe the elevator work was actually a separate tender.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 12:41 AM

completion is 2010 isn't it?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 1:53 AM
HA

OMG New Westminster Station definitely needs a HUGE reno immediately!! I was there yesterday afternoon, and that place is a dump. It's dark, old, and torn apart (No offense, but the overall appearance and cleaniness of the City of New Westminster itself is probably the worst of all Metro Vancouver cities). The entrances are also quite hidden and not very safe. It has probably one of the worst station environments of the entire Skytrain system, besides Columbia (of all M/C/E-Lines).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 3:44 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Too bad they didn't go with those wood beam/glass roofs and instead installed aluminum crap over top.

Actually, on second thought, if you see the building through the end of the platform, the platform shown is the south side of the platform, so this will be part of the podium that they are building on that side.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 5:02 AM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Too bad they didn't go with those wood beam/glass roofs and instead installed aluminum crap over top.

Actually, on second thought, if you see the building through the end of the platform, the platform shown is the south side of the platform, so this will be part of the podium that they are building on that side.
The sign says: "Train to Commercial" So if that means anything, then this image is facing East. Which would mean that yes, this would be an extension on the South Side of the Station. Which would be mean two sided boarding for East-bound trains.

Code:
--------------------------------
 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SRY/VCC

New Extended Platform/Mall

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
The sign says: "Train to Commercial" So if that means anything, then this image is facing East. Which would mean that yes, this would be an extension on the South Side of the Station. Which would be mean two sided boarding for East-bound trains.

Code:
 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SRY/VCC

New Extended Platform/Mall

New West station has side platforms configuration, so the change is just to widen (and extend) the platforms without building new ones.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 9:53 AM

Boy I can't wait for that New West station build out (will I be an old man before it's built?)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 3:45 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Googled around and found this from the Vancouver Sun..kinda old though...

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 6:33 PM

Thanks for the platform analyses.

Allen check out the Plaza 88 thread for renders of the project's mall component.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 4:30 AM

Some shots of the construction around New Westminster Station taken by me on April 6, 2009:

View from the Westbound Platform looking west

View taken from the end of the westbound platform looking west

The existing station.

My question - is the station moving further west? Seems from the renders that it must be, but on the second picture, the floor level seems to be the same as the guideway, not the platform. Is the overhang for the platofrm, or noise retention? Any ideas?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure