HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 4:17 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
only those? i hate all the buildings on my list. i made a list at school the other day with one of my teachers and a few of my friends when we were talking about how many notable buildings in chicago we'd considered monstrosities and the list was more than 100 long before we decide architecture in this city is depressing. the conversation about bad architecture in chicago started with a discussion about whether the chicago spire is really world class architecture or just typical chicago hype... and how mies would react if he saw one of his great buildings standing next to trump and being over shadowed by it in every way, both figuratively and literarily
...just a bunch of retarded elitist freaks sitting down and tallking about how horrible the world is. Chicago has crap comparatively mild, so if you had a pair of eyes, a brain, and a sense of logic (though as LaGrange has showed us none of these are a prerequiste for a career in architecture) you could see a larger picture. Mies would see that modernism is dead and those fools who are trying to resurrect it it in its native form are nothing more than the new POMO, people who understand nothing about architecture and are simple intent on repeating the past until nothing is left but watered down shells of forgotten ideas. Architecture reflects the time. It reflects how we live, why we live, where we live, and what we concern ourselves with. BAD architecture is deaf to these forces or tries to impose new ideals on it. Mies doesn't work today. No more. So if he were still alive, being the genius that he was...he would have moved with the times, created some new great evolution of modenism, would have been happy to see his work overshadowed, and probly call you an idiot. There are plenty of problems/flaws in Chicago's architecture, but your utopian ideals and pissant attitude highlight two of them.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
only those? i hate all the buildings on my list. i made a list at school the other day with one of my teachers and a few of my friends when we were talking about how many notable buildings in chicago we'd considered monstrosities and the list was more than 100 long before we decide architecture in this city is depressing. the conversation about bad architecture in chicago started with a discussion about whether the chicago spire is really world class architecture or just typical chicago hype... and how mies would react if he saw one of his great buildings standing next to trump and being over shadowed by it in every way, both figuratively and literarily
Wow, like Alliance said, this does sound like holier-than-thou, elitist talk at its finest.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 12:35 PM
Homo Platoregimontis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
The Hyatt regency in Montreal, accompanied by its fellow Complex desjardin is without a doubt the ugliest highrise ever built in Montreal.

You really have to see it for yourself to believe how revolting this fiasco is.
Wow !! I have to completely disagree with you on this one. It is at least decent !!

Come to see our SC4 cities at http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums/af....php?forum=vil
or here : http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117089

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 3:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarabundi View Post
Wow !! I have to completely disagree with you on this one. It is at least decent !!
No discussion of Montreal uglies is complete without reference to the Hall (Hell) building of Concordia University:

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
The Hyatt regency in Montreal, accompanied by its fellow Complex desjardin is without a doubt the ugliest highrise ever built in Montreal.

You really have to see it for yourself to believe how revolting this fiasco is.
What are you talking about ?

Like Yara said the complex is decent to say the least.

Furthermore, unlike others "english-canadien" financial institutions Desjardins will never leave the town miserably....

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 4:43 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysium View Post
It shouldn't have more trees. The point is to create contrast. Granted, Seattle's grass isn't always that green, but it's still better this way.
Parks are for people. People like shade, or even need it.

I blogged about this on the Daily Journal of Commerce website, if you page down a little: http://www.djc.com/blogs/SeattleScape/index.php

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 7:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Parks are for people. People like shade, or even need it.

I blogged about this on the Daily Journal of Commerce website, if you page down a little: http://www.djc.com/blogs/SeattleScape/index.php

The structures at the park need to be framed properly. They need to have prominence. Trees aren't good for any recreational activities besides sitting, eating, reading, or climbing, nor are they sightly during the winter. Trees anywhere but in the periphery of Gas Works would block the view of Lake Union and downtown. I understand your point for any other park, but if you look at the great cities in the world, they don't clutter their coastlines (or scenic vistas) with trees. People want a clear view of the horizon, and for lack of beach, we create grass. Look at Vancouver's parks.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 7:51 PM
Never Dell

I guess we'll disagree on trees! We need open areas, but there should be a balance, and this doesn't exist in the main part of Gas Works.

I can think of many great city parks and waterfronts lined with trees. Much of the Thames is like that. Battery Park in NY.

Most of all, I couldn't care less how the old gas works are framed. That's on the third tier of what's important at Gas Works Park.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 8:39 PM
testify

on montreal:

i absolutely hate the complex dejardins, but love the hall building over at concordia. if you have to give it to concordia, give the monstrous library building. there was lsd in the water or something at the meeting where this design was chosen.

as for the rest of montreal, there are so many utter failures. the place dupuis is horrid, as is the bonaventure metro complex, the leacock building (go redmen!), and a variety of other brutalist horrors. but i reserve special scorn for that almost deliberately ugly annex just east of city hall, corner gosford and notre-dame. i can't find a photo, but believe me when i say that the thing is truly hateful.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 12:55 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Philadelphia doesn't have all that many, but I can think of one:

The Criminal Justice Building at 6th and Market. It's got blank walls galore and a horribly designed entrance plaza.

Also, Kling's Municipal Services Building is handsome, but the way it meets the street horrible; it's an antiurban distortion just north of City Hall whose ground levels need to be revamped.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 9:42 PM

" Where shall I begin?.... "

WTVP studios (below) on Peoria's, southern, riverfront. This public tv station's, capital, fund drive fell short of projections and it had settled for THIS embarassment that nearly cost our community it's PBS affiliate....

(image from namethispeorialandmark.blogpeoria.com)

THIS, glorified and overpriced, parking deck w/offices and retail (below) in Downtown Peoria....

Hamilton Square (below), in downtown Peoria, is a late 90's and post-modernism disappointment from the same developer of One Tech Plaza....

The, shuttered, InPlay complex (below) on the downtown Riverfront. A, hideous, marriage of old and new structure's whose only quality was that for two years, it added to the attractions between the downtown and riverfront business districts......

The, former, Hiram Walker distillery now ADM plant (below) south of Downtown Peoria. A, still operating, relic from the Industrial Revolution era...

(image from flickr.com)

.... AND, Those are just a few!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 12:50 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I'm sure Mies was insightful enough to understand the concept of "move the fuck on"
I would disagree with this, we are talking about a man who quit IIT and refused to ever come back because the school started to use other architecture firms to design new buildings on campus.

Oh and seeing we are on worst buildings, I will say this, there is a courtyard to a black office tower on the northbank in Chicago that is the worst courtyard I have ever seen....if you are ever on the fence of whether or not you should kill yourself, this is the place to go to decide that it would be a good idea to end it all....it is that depressing and cold of a space.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 2:53 AM
Honored Member

The Crown on 311

To me, the crown on 311 South Wacker looks more like a 'rook' chess piece than a crown. Other than that, it lights up great and the building is cool.
[CENTER][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Ornamentation is the principal part of architecture, considered as a subject of fine art.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] - [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][URL="http://www.giga-usa.com/quotes/authors/john_ruskin_a001.htm"]John Ruskin[/URL], [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][I]True and Beautiful--Sculpture[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture