HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Source for the West End Monorail?
Did a little searching and found this link on Translink's Buzzer Blog. Has a nice monorail concept image from the 1970s too, though that seems to be unrelated to a West End monorail tied to Expo.

Quote:
After EXPO 86 closed there was an idea to reuse the monorail for local transit in the West End. In the nineties I recall there was similar interest in relocating Seattle’s 1962 vintage ALWEG monorail to Vancouver. But these too remained ideas, suggesting perhaps, that monorails and Vancouver just don’t mix.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTerminalCity View Post
Did a little searching and found this link on Translink's Buzzer Blog. Has a nice monorail concept image from the 1970s too, though that seems to be unrelated to a West End monorail tied to Expo.
Huh. It seems it would be difficult to put a monorail at the West End, even back in the day- there's just no space unless you want to build it on Beach Ave- which is a non-starter. That DT Heliport sounds insane though.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Source for the West End Monorail?
Memory. Doubt there would be anything on-line from the 1986 newspapers.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waves View Post
The are 28 Peak to Peak gondola cabins. Each holds 28 people; 22 seated and 6 standing. Source
Thanks.
That more than I thought.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 6:59 AM

I wonder if anyone has started a transit fantasy where the city has all transit eliminated and you gotta go from a blank slate.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
I wonder if anyone has started a transit fantasy where the city has all transit eliminated and you gotta go from a blank slate.
I don't think so.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 8:45 PM

This new electric public bus concept has a rooftop skylight and modular seats that can be moved to promote social distancing (slideshow)

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:38 AM
BANNED

I was looking for something on the Trolley bus network, but couldn't ind it, so I thought it would fit here.

Is there ever the thought of turning the trolley bus network into a streetcar/LRT system?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I was looking for something on the Trolley bus network, but couldn't ind it, so I thought it would fit here.

Is there ever the thought of turning the trolley bus network into a streetcar/LRT system?
Hmm the streetcar system that was changed to trolley buses and now changing it back to a streetcar again. I doubt TransLink is considering it (admittedly they're probably not thinking about anything beyond not sinking right now).

I like the idea of adding a hanging monorail somewhere in the region. I doubt it's very practical but...

Chiba Flying Monorail

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 8:30 AM

One or two busy lines in the far future, maybe - not the whole network. Tram-ifying every single route in Vancouver wouldn't be much of an upgrade over the buses... and the cost could get us the Hastings, Robson, Willingdon AND both North Shore SkyTrains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I like the idea of adding a hanging monorail somewhere in the region. I doubt it's very practical but...
Wait 'till Disney or Universal opens a park here?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
One or two busy lines in the far future, maybe - not the whole network. Tram-ifying every single route in Vancouver wouldn't be much of an upgrade over the buses... and the cost could get us the Hastings, Robson, Willingdon AND both North Shore SkyTrains..... (punctuation edit mine)
.......Wait 'till Disney or Universal opens a park here?
You have a very good point, but IMHO a hanging subway all over town would be hideously ugly. I don't know if that would be taken into consideration or not by planners.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post

IMO, the only time where we might see serious consideration for a LRT route would be the Arbutus line after the first Millennium line extension is in operation. However if there was a consideration for a N-S relief line of some sort then other options may better suit the demands of a relief line.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I feel that the COV is actually quite well suited to accommodate LRT lines on routes like the Arbutus greenway (from Kerrisdale (or further south) to DT) or along W. 4th. It's just that the LRT would have to be marketed as a means to address capacity and not marketed as a rapid transit solution.

The point of developing a LRT system would be to address capacity and to free up buses so that those buses can be repurposed for other routes in the metro Vancouver region to improve transit services there. The LRT network would serve as a means to add another tier to our transit level, and to serve as an auxiliary collecting network.

But that's just my fantasy lol.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
You have a very good point, but IMHO a hanging subway all over town would be hideously ugly. I don't know if that would be taken into consideration or not by planners.
Well I didn't say "all over town" - and is it any more ugly than the Skytrain is now?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
IMO, the only time where we might see serious consideration for a LRT route would be the Arbutus line after the first Millennium line extension is in operation. However if there was a consideration for a N-S relief line of some sort then other options may better suit the demands of a relief line.
There could be other possible locations for a LRT - but it would have to be on it's own separate ROW, not mixed in with car traffic. That's why it could work along Arbutus and it could also work if we were to create ROWs next to highways. The plan for running it down the middle of King George and 104 Ave was terrible.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Again, this is just my opinion, but I feel that the COV is actually quite well suited to accommodate LRT lines on routes like the Arbutus greenway (from Kerrisdale (or further south) to DT) or along W. 4th.
I suppose we could close off Cornwall/Macdonald/westbound 4th, but I'm not sure how far that ROW will get you...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Well I didn't say "all over town" - and is it any more ugly than the Skytrain is now?
I stand corrected on "all over town." And IMO, yes, it is even uglier than existing Skytrain. though others will disagree.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
I suppose we could close off Cornwall/Macdonald/westbound 4th, but I'm not sure how far that ROW will get you...
I was actually thinking that the merits of that LRT route idea (pulled from the sky, mind you ) would lie in it connecting eastwards... perhaps even following through W. 6th and W. 2nd and then heading south on Main and then having it head down Kingsway and beyond? Again, it's just a rough fantasy idea to incorporate more LRT routes outside of the Arbutus greenway LRT route to make LRT more feasible and useful in the Metro Vancouver region .

Quote:
There could be other possible locations for a LRT - but it would have to be on it's own separate ROW, not mixed in with car traffic. That's why it could work along Arbutus and it could also work if we were to create ROWs next to highways. The plan for running it down the middle of King George and 104 Ave was terrible.
No matter what technology you use to operate with, selecting designs that dedicate the infrastructure as its own ROW will always benefit the transit users the most. The King George proposal in Surrey was an absolute dog's breakfast and it serves as one of the many examples in Canada where LRT is marketed to the public incorrectly since they were claiming that it would be a rapid transit solution when its design was anything but.

I agree that the LRT route along Arbutus is a very attractive route because it mostly has its own ROW with very little interaction with vehicular traffic. But if you're thinking that the Arbutus route needs to be completely segregated from traffic then you'd need to incorporate elevation (which will be opposed by NIMBYS) or tunnels (which are expensive) - and at that point, then comes the question as to why we aren't switching to Skytrain technology if the region is demanding for complete grade separation. Beyond the Arbutus Greenway, I am actually open to LRT routes that do share the road with vehicles as a streetcar-like network so long as it is designed to be an optimal choice for transit users. I'm thinking that having low-floor vehicles (just like the TTC's new models) on routes that have high ridership, that would NEVER see true rapid transit infrastructure; would be okay to develop as another tier of green transit that frees up more buses in the Metro Vancouver region. All of this is completely contingent upon the design of the route though and how it is incorporated on the street but I do honestly see it being a success in Vancouver if it's done correctly.

The Arbutus route serves as a very decent consideration for LRT because you would need drivers to operate the trains when integrating with street traffic and the construction and cost of implementing this LRT system route wouldn't be as formidable as other routes that were proposed in the past. Again this is just a personal opinion but having the Arbutus greenway developed as an LRT system is an appropriate example of the right place and the right design.

LRT has rightfully earned a bad rep because it has been so poorly implemented in the western provinces and it continues to be incorrectly marketed as a rapid transit solution. LRT should address capacity issues on routes that would never be able to accommodate rapid transit infrastructure.

My opinion is that this kind of a system is very niche and it has a right place and a right time; and that Arbutus could very well be a great starting point for LRT to be correctly introduced to the region. My idea with a W. 4th avenue route of some sort would be a far-flung future development of another LRT route.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I was actually thinking that the merits of that LRT route idea (pulled from the sky, mind you ) would lie in it connecting eastwards... perhaps even following through W. 6th and W. 2nd and then heading south on Main and then having it head down Kingsway and beyond? Again, it's just a rough fantasy idea to incorporate more LRT routes outside of the Arbutus greenway LRT route to make LRT more feasible and useful in the Metro Vancouver region .
At last check, that's the plan, though going north to Waterfront instead of south, and ignoring 6th in favour of the old train ROW.

I'd argue that Kingsway, even with the Expo as capacity relief, has all the same problems as King George did. Seems better to replace the 19 with artics or a RapidBus and figure it out from there.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
No matter what technology you use to operate with, selecting designs that dedicate the infrastructure as its own ROW will always benefit the transit users the most. The King George proposal in Surrey was an absolute dog's breakfast and it serves as one of the many examples in Canada where LRT is marketed to the public incorrectly since they were claiming that it would be a rapid transit solution when its design was anything but.

I agree that the LRT route along Arbutus is a very attractive route because it mostly has its own ROW with very little interaction with vehicular traffic. But if you're thinking that the Arbutus route needs to be completely segregated from traffic then you'd need to incorporate elevation (which will be opposed by NIMBYS) or tunnels (which are expensive) - and at that point, then comes the question as to why we aren't switching to Skytrain technology if the region is demanding for complete grade separation. Beyond the Arbutus Greenway, I am actually open to LRT routes that do share the road with vehicles as a streetcar-like network so long as it is designed to be an optimal choice for transit users. I'm thinking that having low-floor vehicles (just like the TTC's new models) on routes that have high ridership, that would NEVER see true rapid transit infrastructure; would be okay to develop as another tier of green transit that frees up more buses in the Metro Vancouver region. All of this is completely contingent upon the design of the route though and how it is incorporated on the street but I do honestly see it being a success in Vancouver if it's done correctly.

The Arbutus route serves as a very decent consideration for LRT because you would need drivers to operate the trains when integrating with street traffic and the construction and cost of implementing this LRT system route wouldn't be as formidable as other routes that were proposed in the past. Again this is just a personal opinion but having the Arbutus greenway developed as an LRT system is an appropriate example of the right place and the right design.

LRT has rightfully earned a bad rep because it has been so poorly implemented in the western provinces and it continues to be incorrectly marketed as a rapid transit solution. LRT should address capacity issues on routes that would never be able to accommodate rapid transit infrastructure.

My opinion is that this kind of a system is very niche and it has a right place and a right time; and that Arbutus could very well be a great starting point for LRT to be correctly introduced to the region. My idea with a W. 4th avenue route of some sort would be a far-flung future development of another LRT route.
You had a better opinion of the Surrey proposal than I did then...

I don't mind LRT with "very little interaction with vehicular traffic" - in fact I doubt we'd get a line that's completely separated (and then yes we might as well go with Skytrain). Having it unbarricaded on the street with vehicles is what I'm against.

Another possible location would be along Railway Ave in Richmond. Personally I think we should be looking at the suburbs as that's where we'll find some corridors with space to include a rail line.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Hmm the streetcar system that was changed to trolley buses and now changing it back to a streetcar again. I doubt TransLink is considering it (admittedly they're probably not thinking about anything beyond not sinking right now).

Chiba Flying Monorail
Add a bike lane up top! *mic drop*

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure