HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
realistically they should be expanding the 91 to 3 lanes each way from that point, all the way west. so it would become 3-lanes to the 91, 2 lanes to the 91A from the now 4 lanes on the bridge.

i would be curious to see the 6-lane plans since it was built for a 6 lane configuration back in the 1980s.
That would be fantastic. Except we have an NDP government right now, combined with the 'BC built-on-the-cheap' factor for highways, so what I described is the most I'm hoping for. But yeah, a full 6-laning of the east-west connector sounds great, and is definitely needed considering the heavy truck traffic.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 11:27 PM

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020TRAN0038-000276

Bunch of smug pricks these politicians are posing for these photos and patting themselves on a job well done . Bunch of fluff news article from the government. They know damn well the 17 and this project should've been done correctly from the get go . Actually shocked the NDP didn't cancel this one either . And why does it say the 91 Connector and Nordel Way is just getting improvements . Don't the renderings from this thread show it as an interchange ?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 5:14 PM

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 4:37 AM

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 6:31 AM
perhaps . . .

Is it just me or is this progressing at 2X the speed of the work north of Second Narrows?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 1:47 AM

I drive this route every day. And I have to say, this new design is going to cause a LOT of accidents. After merging off the Alex Fraser southbound, on to the connector to 17, you have to MERGE INTO A MERGE LANE to get onto highway 17 east bound. The merge lane is maybe 50m long, and FULL of semis either going right onto highway 17 E/B or merging left to go straight down 17 W/B towards Tsawwassen. It’s actually worse than the terribly designed W/B Queensborough connector merge/exit @ highway 91 and Westminster in Richmond. I really hope they’re still making changes and fixes. But if this is the final design, then I’m actually pretty angry.

*edit* Not to sound like a drama queen or anything, but when this is your commute every single day, and you’ve been waiting years, dealing with construction, for an improvement to come along and the improvement is terribly unsafe and unthought out, makes you really wonder who the hell is in charge of approving such designs. Clearly safety isn’t a priority. Also the quality of the blacktop is a joke. The whole drive is bumpy, wavy and really embarrassing that THIS is what a first world country produces.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
I drive this route every day. And I have to say, this new design is going to cause a LOT of accidents. After merging off the Alex Fraser southbound, on to the connector to 17, you have to MERGE INTO A MERGE LANE to get onto highway 17 east bound. The merge lane is maybe 50m long, and FULL of semis either going right onto highway 17 E/B or merging left to go straight down 17 W/B towards Tsawwassen. It’s actually worse than the terribly designed W/B Queensborough connector merge/exit @ highway 91 and Westminster in Richmond. I really hope they’re still making changes and fixes. But if this is the final design, then I’m actually pretty angry.

*edit* Not to sound like a drama queen or anything, but when this is your commute every single day, and you’ve been waiting years, dealing with construction, for an improvement to come along and the improvement is terribly unsafe and unthought out, makes you really wonder who the hell is in charge of approving such designs. Clearly safety isn’t a priority. Also the quality of the blacktop is a joke. The whole drive is bumpy, wavy and really embarrassing that THIS is what a first world country produces.
I drive semi truck there every other weekend there. I don’t think the actual alignment is open yet.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 6:27 AM

When was the last time you drove it? It’s completely different than it was last week. Looks pretty permanent.

In this link, you can see the merge lane onto the connector is the exit lane onto highway 17 eastbound. It’s a joke.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2022TRAN0059-001010

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
I drive semi truck there every other weekend there. I don’t think the actual alignment is open yet.
This, it's not the final alignment. The offramp will be on the west side of the overpass.

Photo from BC Moti https://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc/52197072580/

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 7:16 PM

2022 July 9

Looking west on 91C

Untitled by Lexus LX570, on Flickr

Looking south on Nordel Was, towards new underpass at 91C

New underpass at 91C and Nordel Way

Looking East at 91C

Overall everything looks really good and logical. Ramps are long and wide. Will be a great improvement once completed.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 6:22 AM

Looks good so far but where are the cats eyes ? Typical cost cutting in the name of safety.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Looks good so far but where are the cats eyes ? Typical cost cutting in the name of safety.
probably waiting until const. is done as that many trucks will just break them faster.

those are normally the last thing they install when done.

i wouldn't call our version "cats eyes" personally. these are just plastic road reflectors. when i think of cats eyes, i think of the real version that doesn't break or get ripped up by snow plows.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 10:02 PM

Has BCMoT ever put out a statement about why we don't utilize cats eyes on our lane markings here? I mean just over the border WSDOT has been using them for decades and we seem to have pretty identical climatic conditions.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Has BCMoT ever put out a statement about why we don't utilize cats eyes on our lane markings here? I mean just over the border WSDOT has been using them for decades and we seem to have pretty identical climatic conditions.
i dont know why you people think we dont... i have seen them on highways a lot more than on city streets... we just dont maintain them all that well i would say.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 11:28 PM

Sorry, I think I meant Botts Dotts.

But it appears they're phasing them out in California.

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/05/1...ways-highways/

so

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 11:32 PM
Dahvie Fan

They really like the big hills of sand for overpasses. Up and over and back down. Try and build as little elevated structure as possible

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 8:49 AM
perhaps . . .

Just like on the "Highway 17 (SFPR) Upgrades" thread: you have an uninformed and sadly silly set of hang-ups. You are at least consistent over the years - too bad you can't adapt to the information that has been heaped upon you.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure