HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
Lulay retires, unless it's injury related i'm guessing that he didn't want to move to another Canadian city as I'm sure Montreal would take a chance on him. Never understood this guy, he could have been a starting pivot on about 4 or 5 over the past 4 years. You think that professional players, especially QBs would want to be a starter no matter what but Travis seemed just fine letting Jennings come in and be number 1.
Not necessarily just about that, read this article.....

https://3downnation.com/2019/02/28/t...-from-the-cfl/

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 5:39 PM

I think Travis will go down as one of the classiest, hardest workers and true warriors in Lions history and will hopefully follow the Dave Dickenson path to coaching in the CFL

Last edited by cjones2451; Feb 28, 2019 at 5:40 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I'm thinking it might be something more to do with counseling or drug treatments I think he was obligated to take.
Johnny Manziel skipped meetings required by the CFL: sources
Justin Dunk 3downnation February 28, 2019

Though those conditions were never publicly released, they included meeting with medical and mental heath professionals while following his prescribed treatment plan for bipolar disorder.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 8:44 PM

Canadian QB Michael O’Connor will highlight UBC pro day set for April
Justin Dunk 3downnation March 5, 2019

The University of British Columbia is set hold a pro day on April 4 and Canadian quarterback Michael O’Connor will be the centre of attention.

O’Connor played in the FCS Bowl during the month of December, completing 9-of-12 passes for 70 yards and has been training at IMG Academy in Florida. The Ottawa native has prototypical quarterback size: six-foot-five, 225 pounds and has been productive wherever he’s played.

O’Connor threw 51 touchdown passes in Grade 10 at Ashbury College, attended Baylor School in Chattanooga, Tennessee and moved on to play at IMG Academy in Florida under the tutelage of Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Chris Weinke. He led the team to an 8-2 record in 2013 throwing for 1,804 yards and 18 touchdowns in 10 games. He was the No. 6 ranked high school quarterback by ESPN and played in the Under Armour All-American Game, the only Canadian prospect to be invited that year.

Penn Stat head coach Bill O’Brien, who spent time as Tom Brady’s quarterback’s coach and offensive coordinator with the New England Patriots, recruited O’Connor and wanted him to play in his pro-style offence. But before O’Connor arrived on campus, O’Brien left the Nittany Lions to accept the Houston Texans head coaching job.

James Franklin took over as head coach and Christian Hackenberg was the starter until he was picked in the second round by the New York Jets in the 2016 NFL draft. Despite O’Connor going 11-for-16 for 81 yards in Penn State’s spring game, he redshirted in 2014 and then transferred to the University of British Columbia. Year one with the Thunderbirds saw O’Connor light up defences while leading the team to a National Championship in 2015.

Defensive lineman Connor Griffiths and defensive back Stavros Katsantonis are also going to perform for NFL and CFL scouts.

Griffiths is a dynamic interior defender and load in the middle. There has been buzz about Griffiths drawing NFL interest due to his size and physicality. Lining up against NCAA talent at the College Gridiron Showcase in January, Griffiths was stout and showed well.

Katsantonis – the Bakersfield bandit – has been a first-team All-Canadian three straight years. Despite being undersized, Katsantonis finds the football with natural instincts.

O’Connor is the draw for NFL scouts, but Griffiths and Katsantoni could capitalize on the opportunity in front of scouts.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:36 PM

BC Lions

"As Mike Reilly looks to reinvigorate the Lions’ fan base, the early results are encouraging with the team reporting its largest season ticket renewal rate since 2012 (Ed Willes, Vancouver Province)." www.cfl.ca

https://theprovince.com/sports/footb...ke-people-care

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:43 PM

Kind of CFL related in that the game will be played at Regina's Mosaic Stadium.
This will be interesting if it comes to pass.

http://www.rodpedersen.com/2019/03/a...in-regina.html

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Kind of CFL related in that the game will be played at Regina's Mosaic Stadium.
This will be interesting if it comes to pass.

http://www.rodpedersen.com/2019/03/a...in-regina.html
Are the Riders the promoter of this event? If so, good for them, this will be a good way to fill the coffers a little bit during a multiple week road trip.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Are the Riders the promoter of this event? If so, good for them, this will be a good way to fill the coffers a little bit during a multiple week road trip.
I don't think so. It may be a city of Regina initiative since they own the stadium and the entire Evraz complex.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:34 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

How easy is it to change the field lines at Mosaic - aren't the CFL lines stitched in or something ?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:51 AM
Ham-burgher

Players' association talking nice about the first day of negotiations. Not that I'd expect them NOT to at this stage.

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/11/c...ght-direction/

I don't recall players being at these talks in the past. Is that new?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
How easy is it to change the field lines at Mosaic - aren't the CFL lines stitched in or something ?
All the lines are stitched in. They'll have to use lots of paint to cover up the CFL and Soccer lines.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 1:04 PM

Quote:
All the lines are stitched in. They'll have to use lots of paint to cover up the CFL and Soccer lines.
I can't imagine this would be any kind of logistical obstacle. It's only in the last few years that people have started obsessing about lines.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 8:07 PM

Quote:
I don't think so. It may be a city of Regina initiative since they own the stadium and the entire Evraz complex.
I would think there will be a rental fee the city/Riders will charge for the use of Mosaic. That will provide some revenue. For reference, I believe the Bombers charged a $200,000 rental fee for the Jets/Oilers game at IGF back in 2016.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
"As Mike Reilly looks to reinvigorate the Lions’ fan base, the early results are encouraging with the team reporting its largest season ticket renewal rate since 2012 (Ed Willes, Vancouver Province)." www.cfl.ca

https://theprovince.com/sports/footb...ke-people-care
This is great news if the Lions can get back to 2012 levels of 30,000 fans a game it makes a huge difference and games from BC place look so much better on tv with fans in the stands. This also helps Braley get a possible better bid for when he does sell the team now that is has more value on the market with fans looking to buy tickets again.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
This is great news if the Lions can get back to 2012 levels of 30,000 fans a game it makes a huge difference and games from BC place look so much better on tv with fans in the stands. This also helps Braley get a possible better bid for when he does sell the team now that is has more value on the market with fans looking to buy tickets again.
Even if the Lions can get up to around 24K it would be a huge success.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 1:18 PM

No details yet, but Herb Zurkowsky has tweeted recently about the possible impending sale of the Montreal Alouettes to unnamed buyers from Quebec.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 1:30 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
No details yet, but Herb Zurkowsky has tweeted recently about the possible impending sale of the Montreal Alouettes to unnamed buyers from Quebec.
Your post from a few weeks ago seems prophetic

Quote:
If pro sports teams depended solely on revenues exceeding expenses consistently each and every year just to survive, they'd disappear tomorrow. As you yourself have alluded, there are other financial benefits that can be realized even if the team is not profitable in the strict sense of the term. You cited growth in franchise values which is the most obvious one. I'm sure there are other possible reasons... tax shelter? As a means to other ends? Who knows, I'm not Wetenhall's accountant. But rest assured that if it wasn't in Wetenhall's financial best interest to keep the team, he would have left a long time ago. There is simply no way that a rich American guy with no known connection to the CFL would absorb losses for years and years if there wasn't some tangible benefit to him.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 1:52 PM

^ I know the only reason you post in this thread is to spread the 'CFL is doomed' narrative, but that is a bit of a leap even for you.

How do you know Wetenhall didn't get an attractive offer? I mean, I have no intention of selling my car but you can bet if someone offered me a healthy price out of the blue, I'd be signing the sale documents as fast as I could get my pen out.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:04 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
^ I know the only reason you post in this thread is to spread the 'CFL is doomed' narrative, but that is a bit of a leap even for you.

How do you know Wetenhall didn't get an attractive offer? I mean, I have no intention of selling my car but you can bet if someone offered me a healthy price out of the blue, I'd be signing the sale documents as fast as I could get my pen out.
Oh, we know nothing at this point, I just think it's interesting that the team is potentially being sold after we discussed the idea of Wetenhall's ownership a few weeks ago.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 3:00 PM

If the Wetenhalls do indeed sell, this is a going to be a very good directional adjustment for the organization IMO. Yes they were the owners that brought the team back from bankruptcy to become one of the cornerstones of the league for 15 years. However, I believe the downward spiral that the team has been facing since Calvillo was injured has been due to the knee jerking oversight from that family. Robert Wetenhall always reminded me of Ed Snider, who's running of the Flyers was hardly textbook. 5 Different head coaches plus Jim Popp twice in 5 seasons, 4 of which were directly fired by the owner (Kavis Reed claims he was the one to fire Chapdelaine). If I were a fan of the Alouettes, I'd be doing a little dance and hoping the new owners put in $100 to paint the bloody rain stained concrete bleachers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada