HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 4:48 AM

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 5:40 AM

Is this pre-fab construction?! Jesus Christ, Walt Worthy.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 8:00 PM

Drove by the new hotel this morning - it is actually really impressive even though it is pre-fab. I think that the street level is going to be really impressive and the second floor balcony looking onto the park will be great as well. With that said - sure - who wouldn't love a bunch of steel and glass, but this is a heck of a lot better than the parking lot. the articulation in between each set of two hotel rooms seems to be a couple of feet and feels a lot better on the street than a big flat facade.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayproduct View Post
Is this pre-fab construction?! Jesus Christ, Walt Worthy.
Yes it is. It's how Worthy built the Davenport Tower. cheap and gets a building up quick.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 6:49 AM

And those holes below the windows are for wall unit AC. Classy huh?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 5:56 PM

Hello everyone!
Just wanting to introduce myself since Im new to the Spokane forum. I just moved to the area from Salt Lake City, UT and so far I love it here. After being downtown I was suprised to see that while SLC has taller buildings, Spokane is so much more urban and dense. If Spokane got more projects going, and starting building modern highrises amongst the old world charm, downtown could really become something special.
Great to be here on this forum, cheers

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 9:17 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandEmpireRising View Post
Hello everyone!
Just wanting to introduce myself since Im new to the Spokane forum. I just moved to the area from Salt Lake City, UT and so far I love it here. After being downtown I was suprised to see that while SLC has taller buildings, Spokane is so much more urban and dense. If Spokane got more projects going, and starting building modern highrises amongst the old world charm, downtown could really become something special.
Great to be here on this forum, cheers
Welcome to Spokane! I think your spot on in your assessment. Most of us have that same sentiment and frustration as well. We see the untapped potential of our city and see how great it can be and we just want to see it get there sooner rather than later.

There are a lot of rumored projects to happen in the downtown, so I am hoping they happen. Downtown has outstanding bookends ( university district east and Kendall yards/brownes addition west ). I feel Spokane is a couple big downtown projects away from reaching a tipping point that would propel it to going from being a good city to a great city.

The table is set, now Spokane just has to fill it :-)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 2:47 AM
A before E

I agree, Spokane has really great bones to be a great little city. I could definitely see small local projects turning neighborhoods into thriving centers, and I could see downtown start to see more potential if just a couple of the proposed projects were to ever happen.

I also would like to see Spokane put in a streetcar route or two through its downtown. Also think the city should sell its Bus Terminal building downtown to be redeveloped and do what Portland did by creating two streets with bus stops rather than having a bus terminal building.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 2:02 AM
Criss Crosser of Country

I grabbed a few shots of the convention center expansion today. The construction is obstructed by trees and fence screening, but it gives you an idea of the scope and progress of the project. I'm going to try for an overview shot from Division later this week.

[IMG]http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/[/IMG]

Here's a sampling of the fencing and plantings they've installed between the CC and the river:
(I'm diggin' the moose.)

Finally, here's a quick shot that allows one to visualize what the new hotel will look like from the breezeway between the CC and the INB performing arts center:

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 12:59 AM
Criss Crosser of Country

This development is right next to my building. I've been following the exterior reno...

Downtown Spokane developer bringing back the Bickett
July 9, 2014 in City
Mike Prager The Spokesman-Review

A three-story brick building on the east end of downtown Spokane is being renovated into ground floor commercial space and eight new apartments on the upper floors.

The project is the work of Jed Conklin, who has put two years of his own labor into bringing the 1905 Bickett Hotel Building back to life. [...]

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ging-back-the/

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 3:03 AM
Criss Crosser of Country

A few of these banners popped up at the construction site this week:

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 6:31 PM
Criss Crosser of Country

The Worthy's are hooking up with Marriott. According to the article, the other three hotels (Davenport, Davenport Tower, and Lusso) will also become part of the Autograph Collection...

July 11, 2014 in Business

Grand Hotel Spokane to be part of Marriott’s Autograph Collection

Tom Sowa The Spokesman-Review

More than nine months after starting construction, the new downtown Spokane convention center hotel has a new name and a formal franchise deal with Marriott International.

The hotel, across the street from the INB Performing Arts Center, will formally be called the Grand Hotel Spokane, an Autograph Collection Hotel.

For practical purposes, the simple name will be the Grand Hotel Spokane, said Matt Jensen, a spokesman for Walt Worthy’s Davenport Collection.

When Worthy first signed the deal to build the massive new downtown hotel, he said it would require a branding deal with a national or international company.

That deal was announced Thursday, indicating that the new hotel and Worthy’s three existing Spokane hotels will all become franchise operations with Marriott’s Autograph Collection group.[...]

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-of-marriotts/

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 4:04 AM

From a business perspective, what are some of the primary benefits to Walt Worthy for becoming a franchisee? What stopped him from doing this sooner with his other two hotels?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 5:27 PM

Two Restaurants?

Anybody else notice on the banner that they are advertising two restaurants on the banner. From the plans it had looked like only one that would be over on the NW corner of the building. Looking at the plans it seems a really positive step for Main would be them using the SE corner for the second restaurant. That would be great for the street.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sustainable View Post

Anybody else notice on the banner that they are advertising two restaurants on the banner. From the plans it had looked like only one that would be over on the NW corner of the building. Looking at the plans it seems a really positive step for Main would be them using the SE corner for the second restaurant. That would be great for the street.
They are either counting the terrace and the indoor seating area as two separate restaurants or counting the coffee shop as a restaurant. The floor plans do not include, strictly speaking, another restaurant. There is only one kitchen.

It's marketing speak.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 8:14 PM

Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters

Rumor has it that Anthro and Urban Outfitters are going to be coming into Spokane next to (or possibly above) the new Durkin's Liquor Bar and near the new Madeleine's. Could be great for retail on that section of Main.

Regarding the two restaurants - @selkirks - I don't think that it is as simple as them calling the patio a second restaurant or calling the coffee shop a second restaurant, but you are correct that based upon the drawings posted both on the PFD website as well as the hotel's website it is difficult to see where another restaurant would fit. With that said I think that the most likely one would be adjacent to what they have labelled as "banquet kitchen" - although that seems like a stretch. I just don't see where they fit another one in.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sustainable View Post
Rumor has it that Anthro and Urban Outfitters are going to be coming into Spokane next to (or possibly above) the new Durkin's Liquor Bar and near the new Madeleine's. Could be great for retail on that section of Main.

Regarding the two restaurants - @selkirks - I don't think that it is as simple as them calling the patio a second restaurant or calling the coffee shop a second restaurant, but you are correct that based upon the drawings posted both on the PFD website as well as the hotel's website it is difficult to see where another restaurant would fit. With that said I think that the most likely one would be adjacent to what they have labelled as "banquet kitchen" - although that seems like a stretch. I just don't see where they fit another one in.
Interesting about Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters. Where did you hear this from?

And yeah. The second restaurant just doesn't seem to fit. I still think it's a "one kitchen, two menus" type thing. Kind of like the lobby dining area, the Peacock Room, and the Palm Court at the Davenport.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 4:12 PM

Washington Trust Bank purchased the empty Ridpath Annex with plans to convert the building into office space.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...path-annex-to/

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 4:39 PM
Cascadia Rising

How many floors is the hotel up to now? I'd assume it's moving fairly quickly (1 floor per week or every two weeks?)

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgriff4 View Post
Washington Trust Bank purchased the empty Ridpath Annex with plans to convert the building into office space.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...path-annex-to/
What I got from this article is that a new high-rise office building needs to built for Washington Trust so they can consolidate all their location downtown into one building. Remodel and rename the old build and re-market it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West