HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
At the end of the day, lower Manhattan is not an architectural museum to amuse skyscraper enthusiasts like us; it is a true and functioning business location where a significant cog of the global financial system is actively being turned.
That is not a reasonable excuse for particularly bland architecture, art is just as important to society as business its what makes us human, and art in no way interferes with business, an aesthetically pleasing building is not out of the question. Not that this building isn't anything bad, just nothing all that special either.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 7:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
Easy to criticize someone else's work. Harder to put your own out there for judgment.
And what are we then, if not critics? I'm no architect, but I'm sure I can imagine something better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Just accept what we got and be grateful some of those cringeworthy early designs never saw the light of day.
Accepting what you have doesn't mean you have to like it. If I lose an arm, I may have to accept that reality. Doesn't mean I will have to like it. There's a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
He's entitled to his opinion just like anyone else. It's juvenile and amateurish writing however... hardly worthy of the publicity he's apparently seeking.
With people running around all 5 boroughs just to get a glimpse of this guy's work, I hardly think he needs the publicity. What he did though was bring more publicity to the Freedom tower, and get more people who otherwise normally wouldn't to think about the design. That's not to say everyone has to agree with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
To me, the above-ground portion of 1WTC is probably one of the less interesting parts of the complex.
It's interesting that with all of the back and forth about what's being built above ground, the underground in all of its complexity, will be one of the more beautiful places in the City.

Feldman_1

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 8:50 PM

Pictures like that kind of sell me on the building. I don't see bland at all.

Still not sold on the "spire though", but its a decent looking functional mast.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 9:57 PM

epic

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 10:13 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
Pictures like that kind of sell me on the building. I don't see bland at all...
Pictures like that remind me that New York got exactly what they didn't want... An 88 floor building with a whole bunch of empty space above that, with a big pointy stick on top.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Pictures like that remind me that New York got exactly what they didn't want... An 88 floor building with a whole bunch of empty space above that, with a big pointy stick on top.
That building might have been half-way decent and probably acceptable to most people if they simply chose not to make the upper part an empty steel mesh/skeleton. That area could have easily been filled with actual office space, it was just fear of airplanes crashing into it that caused them to cut the office floors short. I can see a building like this (with the upper portion being solid office space) being built somewhere in Asia though.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 12:14 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

alrighty then, its long past time for banksy to go home now.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 7:00 AM

Amazing building!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 12:07 PM

That old design just reminds me of the absurd standard that something purely decorative is counted in the height of a building, while something functional isn't. The idea that intent has anything to do with reality is just as ridiculous as it was 2500 years ago.
(If that's perceived as an insult to philosophy majors throughout history, it's perceived correctly)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
The empty space at the top does take away from this building. Part of what made the original towers so great was that they were occupied space all the way to the top. It'll be less noticeable though once they light up all that dark space.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 4:52 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Guys, let's just get back on topic please. This is not a thread dedicated toward your opinion of the tower, it's dedicated to the construction of it. Thank you.
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard on a forum. NO room for opinion on the internet. Okay then, let us begin our data analysis of the tower...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 5:01 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
They should, but I don't believe there are any plans to do so.
Once again yet another stupid decision that takes away the integrity of the whole. By only lighting the spire it looks incredibly awkward from afar and emphasizes how toothpick thin it is.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard on a forum. NO room for opinion on the internet. Okay then, let us begin our data analysis of the tower...
it appears as though the number of atoms the tower is made of has increased exponentially since its inception! who agrees?!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 5:54 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by unanimity View Post
it appears as though the number of atoms the tower is made of has increased exponentially since its inception! who agrees?!
Agreed.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 7:17 PM
Sukaitsuri

someone has an idea why the designers of 1WTC decided to put all the mechanic floors in the highest levels of the tower?

That's not so bad, to be honest... it looks better than the twin towers, who had mechanic floors at 1/3rd and 2/3rds levels of the towers.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 8:35 PM
weidncol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorque View Post
someone has an idea why the designers of 1WTC decided to put all the mechanic floors in the highest levels of the tower?

That's not so bad, to be honest... it looks better than the twin towers, who had mechanic floors at 1/3rd and 2/3rds levels of the towers.
They did that because the least amount of useable space is at the top floors, so it made sense to put mechanical where there isn't much useable space compared to the rest of the building.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 2:57 AM

At least they made floors 89 and 90 office floors instead of mechanical.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 4:22 AM
weidncol

Mechanical Floors:
1-19 (Includes basement levels, lobby and of course mechanical)
91-93M
102M-104M

Observation Deck:
100-102

Office Floors:
20-90

I got this information from http://onewtc.com/leasing

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 9:35 AM
Sukaitsuri

If I am not mistaking, the concrete core doesn't have the same dimensions from the base to the top. It keeps the same dimension until the 3/4ths of the tower (approximatively), then it becomes smaller (because the upper floors are smaller, they probably needed to make a smaller core too).
Anyone there to confirm?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 4:51 PM
Sleep is for quitters

Check Out the Marketing Center at 1 WTC

http://commercialobserver.com/2013/1...enter-at-1wtc/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive