HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 9:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þróndeimr View Post
A nice new rendering published by MIR a couple of hours ago!

Illustration by MIR

Aother thing to keep in mind when looking at these renderings is just how much will be built around these towers (not shown here). It will be a stunning jolt to the skyline.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Symmetrical was not the right word. Outside of the observation deck, the two share a general design, and are meant to relate to one another, so the observation deck to me looks like it was sort of thrown on much later on in the design process. It also throws the relation between the two a bit off and I preferred the uninterrupted vertical lines of the North Tower without the obs deck. Maybe I'm in the minority, but again, from a purely aesthetic perspective, I don't like the obs deck.

But in general, I'm splitting hairs because this is a fabulous project, and the ob deck could grow on me as we see more renderings.
I don't really agree. I like the fact that the taller tower gets a little something extra to distinguish it. I think the observation deck fits perfectly with the overall design and does not look tacked on.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 11:20 PM

Perfect. If the buildings are exactly as shown in the render, I'll be satisfied (and others too). The deck is great.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 8:40 AM
Everywhere all at once

Welcome, friends, to the New York of the future.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 4:19 PM

I still think that if NYC will build a 2000 footer it's here or at grand central station.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 4:22 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Like looking at one of those futuristic looking skyscrapers from SimCity.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Symmetrical was not the right word. Outside of the observation deck, the two share a general design, and are meant to relate to one another, so the observation deck to me looks like it was sort of thrown on much later on in the design process. It also throws the relation between the two a bit off and I preferred the uninterrupted vertical lines of the North Tower without the obs deck. Maybe I'm in the minority, but again, from a purely aesthetic perspective, I don't like the obs deck.
I'm with yankeesfan1000. The two towers were designed to relate to one another, particularly in the ratio of their overall heights to the heights of their uppermost setbacks (roughly 3/5 of the way up on both towers). It's a simple, effective design element that not only gives each tower an added flare, but adds another element that directly ties the two designs together. It's part of what made the renderings from a few months back so impressive.

The horizontal element of North Tower's observation deck breaks up that ratio, detracting from the tower's own sense of verticality,and muddies that visual relationship with the South Tower. I would be surprised if the design team was unanimously supportive of adding this element after the fact, but for the above-stated reasons about the deck's lucrativeness, and its hand in making this new venture a must-see NY destination, you can see why they did.

At the end of the day, these are early renderings, and I have no doubt that the designers will find a way to more gracefully integrate the observation deck into the design of the North Tower. And however they wind up doing it, I can't wait to get up there and get a real shot of vertigo on top of the incredible skyline views.

Also, I should introduce myself: I've followed this and other SSP threads for a long time, and this is my first time posting.

I live on the west coast, and will readily admit my skyscraper envy of cities like New York. The much delayed Transbay Tower in my hometown of San Francisco is basically the only thing to get excited about out here (and even then, if you've seen the design, you know I use the word "excited" loosely), and the highrise construction scene in LA, where I now reside, is its own embarrassing tragicomedy.

Anyway, I look forward to mixing it up with you lot, as we witness this incredible skyscraper boom in NYC.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 7:13 PM

when do they start preperating the side ?

welcome

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 4:47 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 5:10 PM

i'm beginning to hope they'll scrap that platform and do something else for an observation deck.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 3:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
i'm beginning to hope they'll scrap that platform and do something else for an observation deck.
I think it will be a great attraction for the tower, unlike any other in Manhattan.

Perhaps you may be wishing for something a little more like this...

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/48564

But I think Related's vision is something more likely to get built.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 6:17 PM

Quote:
I think you are in the minority there.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I think it will be a great attraction for the tower, unlike any other in Manhattan.

this would certainly be a more appropriate place than above GCT for a giant amusement park attraction like that

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

New York City: Year 3000.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 5:28 AM

Quote:
I have to agree. As much of a spectacle as it would be, it really looks like it was an afterthought.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 6:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
this would certainly be a more appropriate place than above GCT for a giant amusement park attraction like that
Amusement park attraction, observation deck, a windows-on-the-world type restaurant, they're all attractions. I don't see one more appropriate than the other. To me, that ring is no different than skyscrapers with elavators on the outside. The Hudson Yards observation deck is a step in the right direction. You can only have the same observation deck in different buildings for so long. Even in New York, you have to start differentiating the decks, and not just the views.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 8:49 PM

iv noticed that the smaller of the twins was listed as under construction. Is this true?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 11:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I actually like the idea, but it totally ruins the integrity of the existing skyline which should allow the Chrysler to retain its current prominence. Looking east toward Grand Central and Chrysler is the most iconic view of one of the world's most iconic buildings. It would be completely overshadowed by this project.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 2:00 AM

The image is great, but the building is bad. =/

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysium View Post
I actually like the idea, but it totally ruins the integrity of the existing skyline which should allow the Chrysler to retain its current prominence. Looking east toward Grand Central and Chrysler is the most iconic view of one of the world's most iconic buildings. It would be completely overshadowed by this project.
don't get me wrong, it's a cool idea, but i just can't see something like this in the middle of Midtown, let alone directly above GCT. Anyway, question for phase two, is there any chance of a supertall?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive