HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 6:06 PM
3rd Coast King

Houston - Home pt II - Keep Houston Strange

Just posting some extra pictures that I had that didn't make it into the last thread. Some of these were night test shot I did with my new 50mm. The neighborhood shots are from the Heights with SSP's own Glowrock. He also showed my this great place to eat called Onion Creek which had some great food, lots of pretty girls and plenty of good beer on tap. The staff was very cool as well. I definitely recommend it to anyone out and about inside the loop. Shout out to the one like Expat, all my TEXAS boys and all of my other faithful viewer. you guys are the reason I get up and continue to do what i do.

Please Enjoy!

Video Link

My Book

Last edited by diskojoe; Apr 22, 2011 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 6:35 PM

First, I was excited to see a new Diskojoe thread. Second, to get a shout out. Way to start my day!

And way to turn a pawn shop into a work of art. Great set.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:06 PM
3rd Coast King

Glad I could make your day. Glad you like the new thread too.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 10:21 PM
Ya Dig!!

I like. Especially the little dog that with "NO!" on it.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 3:09 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
Me too. Best laugh I've had all week.

Love the different home styles in the inner loop.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 5:34 AM

I love woodland heights but hate how the new developments do not even attempt to keep the integrity of the neighborhood.

What is that next door?

I took a picture of the same house in the summer of 2007.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 8:40 AM
hello

Great variety, thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 12:46 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
Yeah, the sign was classic. Me and aaron both got a good laugh out of those. people in the heights are serious about the no poop.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 12:50 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGulf View Post
I love woodland heights but hate how the new developments do not even attempt to keep the integrity of the neighborhood.

What is that next door?

I took a picture of the same house in the summer of 2007.

Cool. thanks for sharing your pic too. Its good to see the fixed the place up even more. I like the addition of the flowers. They really make the blue pop more.

As for that thing next door. It a stucco monstrosity. There are way too many of those sprinkled in the mix. Its even worse over in spring branch where I live. But some people just dont care.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 1:01 PM

I love the yellow house with the big rhodie bushes. It is around the 19th pic. Three after the little poopy dog. It seems like happiness would be an automatic perk of living in that house. The stuff of fairy tales.

PS: I wish I knew how you guys copy & paste pictures from the thread to show with your comments.

Last edited by Expat; Apr 21, 2011 at 1:13 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
Cool. thanks for sharing your pic too. Its good to see the fixed the place up even more. I like the addition of the flowers. They really make the blue pop more.

As for that thing next door. It a stucco monstrosity. There are way too many of those sprinkled in the mix. Its even worse over in spring branch where I live. But some people just dont care.
Times like this are when I wish Houston had zoning.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 1:47 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Great stuff! I really like the night shots.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 2:05 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Times like this are when I wish Houston had zoning.
Austin has zoning and has the same problem all over with out of character houses being built next to the traditional styles. Maybe it's not a zoning issue? Not sure.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 5:13 AM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusHou View Post
Austin has zoning and has the same problem all over with out of character houses being built next to the traditional styles. Maybe it's not a zoning issue? Not sure.
it has more to do with the character of the people building the structure. But there are still plenty of great looking houses there.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
it has more to do with the character of the people building the structure. But there are still plenty of great looking houses there.
When I lived in Houston it almost seemed like a victim of its own size. Any efforts at zoning always seemed community based which unfortunately turns out to be an ineffective passive route because it would always clash with the lax municipal preservation laws of the city. The sad thing is, such neighborhood ordinances do not preserve the architectural integrity of neighborhoods. One neighborhood, the Old Sixth Ward, was successful in creating a preservation ordinance in 2007 saving over 200 homes from further demolition but the careless attitudes of developers still runs rapid. The city still permits the drive through condos or the 4000 square foot McMansions on 4000 square foot lots in these neighborhoods. Density has it's place but not in the older streetcar suburbs like the Greater Houston Heights and the old Sixth Ward.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 9:31 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGulf View Post
When I lived in Houston it almost seemed like a victim of its own size. Any efforts at zoning always seemed community based which unfortunately turns out to be an ineffective passive route because it would always clash with the lax municipal preservation laws of the city. The sad thing is, such neighborhood ordinances do not preserve the architectural integrity of neighborhoods. One neighborhood, the Old Sixth Ward, was successful in creating a preservation ordinance in 2007 saving over 200 homes from further demolition but the careless attitudes of developers still runs rapid. The city still permits the drive through condos or the 4000 square foot McMansions on 4000 square foot lots in these neighborhoods. Density has it's place but not in the older streetcar suburbs like the Greater Houston Heights and the old Sixth Ward.
It would be shame to lose those older neighborhoods. Some areas, though, I don't feel bad about. For example, Bellaire was a humongous enclave of bland, post WWI homes until the last decade, when almost every old home was torn down and replaced. In that case, it's turned out to be much, much better because of what was there originally. But places like the Heights shouldn't be messed with.

Now I hear that Oak Forest is under seige. Won't be long before it's gone. It was a nice, quite neighborhood of cute little bungalows. I need to drive over there and see what's happening.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 3:41 AM
Red October standing by

awesomeness. makes me want to hop a plane and come by to visit Houston, Galveston and hang out with you and the Houston crew.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 8:13 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
awesomeness. makes me want to hop a plane and come by to visit Houston, Galveston and hang out with you and the Houston crew.

-
Do it man. You know your always welcome in H-town. We could go grab some tacos and then head to the saucer for beers. The crew is guaranteed to come out for beers at the saucer.

My Book

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos