house, Mt Tremblant, QC

Promenade Samuel de Champlain, Quebec City

guest house, Toronto:

Royal Conservatory, Toronto:

Scandinavian spa, Montreal:

St Germain aqueducts & sewers, St Hubert QC:

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 1:19 AM
BANNED

since when is the current Governor General an authority on design? If in fact she is I suggest she go back to her homeland of Haiti and offer a few solutions for the way they build things.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 1:31 AM

^what a moronic statement. someone apparently has a chip on his shoulder against certain politicians.

anyway, the raic did a great job. these are some stunning projects. the library in montreal is particularly impressive.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 2:26 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
since when is the current Governor General an authority on design? If in fact she is I suggest she go back to her homeland of Haiti and offer a few solutions for the way they build things.
Good grief! It's a GG award, that doesn't mean she hand picked them herself. Are you really that out to lunch? Canada is her country, and I have a better suggestion: with attitudes like yours, you're the one that needs to stay out of Canada. She's an asset to this country, you're a disgrace to it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 2:28 AM

Great pics, I really like that Toronto house and the Quebec City promenade looks very peaceful and simple...and I have never seen a sewerage plant like the one in St Hubert! Can you downsize the photos a little? requires a lot of scrolling on my monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
^what a moronic statement. someone apparently has a chip on his shoulder against certain politicians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Good grief! It's a GG award, that doesn't mean she hand picked them herself. Are you really that out to lunch? Canada is her country, and I have a better suggestion: With attitudes like yours, you're the one that should get booted out of Canada. She's an asset to this country, you're a disgrace to it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 2:31 AM
The New Republic

Nice to see Haligonians here! I was quite taken aback by that St. Hubert recipient, as well.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 3:45 AM
BANNED

there was only one size for the pics; all I can do about it is change the zoom level on my browser.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 7:17 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Hm, all of the buildings selected are from only two provinces. =/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 7:32 AM
Pilgerist Chomskyite

Those contemporary lofts are very nice.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 7:37 AM
I am a typical

That building in Saint-Hubert is a head office for an industrial company. It isn't a sewer plant. What you're looking at is their warehouse. Looking at some other photos of these places, I have to say I think it might be my favourite.

http://www.milimet.com/2010/04/st-ge...ers-c-d-f.html

And the GG's awards for architecture typically are from Ontario and Quebec. I figure, the people doing the judging live in the national capital region so they probably don't see much of the rest of the country. It's a shame.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 3:16 PM
BANNED

here's the jury from the website:

Quote:
Jane Pendergast, FRAIC has more than 25 years of experience in various forms of practice including as University Architect for the University of Calgary. Her experience on public projects, particularly complex ones involving multiple user groups, is extensive. She tends to get involved early in such projects to manage diverse user group expectations, ensure thorough and thoughtful design strategies are employed and then stays involved through to construction completion. Projects have included the New Calgary Humane Society, continual renovations to the University of Calgary Student Centre, Studies for a Cultural Corridor for Calgary Arts Development and the Galt Museum Expansion in Lethbridge. Her real passion lies in working on cultural, not-for-profit, higher education and community projects. Jane has recently opened the firm Pendergast Nyhoff Collaborative Architecture Inc. (PNCA) in downtown Calgary with architect Kevin Nyhoff.

Nader Tehrani is a Principal of Office dA, a Boston-based architecture and design firm, and a Professor of Architecture at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Tehrani received a B.F.A. and a B. Arch from the Rhode Island School of Design in 1985 and 1986 respectively, and continued on to the Harvard Graduate School of Design where he received his M.A.U.D in 1991. Tehrani has taught at the Harvard Graduate School of Design, Rhode Island School of Design, and Georgia Institute of Technology, where he served as the Thomas W. Ventulett III Distinguished Chair in Architectural Design. His area of research is focused on innovations in building systems, material application, and the transformation of the building industry, with an emphasis on digital fabrication. His practice at Office dA has received numerous awards, including the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Award in Architecture, the American Academy of Arts and Letters Architecture Award, the Harleston Parker Award, and 12 Progressive Architecture Awards. The work of Office dA has been exhibited widely, including such venues as the Museum of Modern Art, the Venice Biennale and the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston.

Betsy Williamson is principal of WILLIAMSONWILLIAMSON INC., a Toronto based architecture and design studio. She received a Bachelor of Arts from Barnard College and a Masters of Architecture from the Harvard Graduate School of Design. She is a licensed member of the Ontario Association of Architects and serves on the Waterfront Toronto Design Review Panel and the Art Advisory Board of the Toronto Sculpture Garden. In addition to her creative practice, Betsy maintains an active teaching career at the University of Toronto. In 2008, WILLIAMSONWILLIAMSON INC., was the recipient of the Ronald J. Thom Award for Early Design Achievement from the Canada Council for the Arts. In 2006, the studio was honored with the Young Architects Award from the Architectural League of New York.

Bernardo Gomez-Pimienta, Hon. FIRAC has been working as an architect since 1987, combining this activity with industrial design and teaching. He studied architecture at the Universidad Anahuac in Mexico City, where he obtained his first professional degree in 1986. He received a Master of Science degree from Columbia University, New York in 1987. Currently he is Dean of the Architecture School at the Universidad Anahuac, member of the National Academy of Architecture and of the CONACULTA National Creators Fellowship Program. This 2008 he was honored as Chevalier de l´Ordre National de la
Legion d´Honneur by the French Republic and recognized as Honorary Fellow, Hon. FAIA by The American Institute of Architects. In 2009, he received Honorary Fellowship by the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada. In 2002, as part of TEN arquitectos; he won the international competition for the new Visual & Performing Arts Library in Brooklyn, N.Y. That year he also won the Latin American Building of the Year, prize given at the World Architecture Awards. More than 80 prizes support the work of Bernardo Gomez-Pimienta, who is known for his contemporary vocabulary that unites the aspirations of the modern world, with the traditions of his native Mexican culture.

Georges Adamczyk is a full professor at the École d’architecture, Université de Montréal, and served as its director from June 1999 to June 2007. He is a researcher with the Laboratoire d’étude de l’architecture potentielle (LEAP). Before that, he was a professor in the Design Department at Université du Québec à Montréal (since 1977). A designer by training, he also holds a master’s degree in Development (History and Theories of Architecture) from Université de Montréal. He was the director of the Environmental Design program (1977–1982), the Art History program (1982–1983) and the Design Department (1984–1989) (now UQAM’s École de design). From 1992 to 1999, he headed UQAM’s Centre de design, a venue for exhibitions and discussion about the city, architecture, landscape, objects and graphic communication. He participates regularly in competitions, is a consultant for public interest projects, and sits on juries for competitions relating to both the city and manufactured objects. He is the author of a number of articles, papers, publications and exhibitions about architecture and design in Canada. He recently contributed to the work Installations architecturales, published by the Canadian Centre for Architecture (1999), and to the catalogue Substance Over Spectacle, edited by Andrew Gruft (2005). For La Biennale de Montréal, he designed and wrote Maisons-Lieux/Houses-Places (2000–2004). He was the guest curator of the exhibition Objets trouvés, designed and created by the firm Saucier + Perrotte for the Canada Pavilion at the Venice Biennale (2004). At LEAP (at the École d’architecture), he is collaborating on the first major disciplinary study of architectural competitions in Canada since 1940.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 9:47 PM
▓▒░

Those are incredibly bland, dated looking designs. Most of them looks like 70s/80s west coast architecture. That forest guest house is cute, but it's not much different from what Arthur Erikson was doing thirty years ago.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 12:54 AM

i wouldn't call them bland. and anyway, architectural fashions are similar to any other fashion. things come into style, then are seen as hideous for the next few decades. then there's a renaissance and people suddenly appreciate what they had previously taken for granted.

i'd say the styles now are closer to midcentury modern than anything done 30 years ago. 30 years ago, arthur erickson was drawing his plans for 1 california plaza. 1 california plaza has been ridiculed as a po-mo POS for the past few decades.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 2:03 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Hm, I had to do a double-take on the St. Germain warehouse - racking right beside a wall of glass? Someone did not think this one through.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 4:30 AM
▓▒░

^^I'm just saying the jurors must look at layout or quality of construction/materials, because I didn't lift an eyebrow at any of them. The library is a solid design, but the picture doesn't show much. These designs don't excite.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Hm, all of the buildings selected are from only two provinces. =/
Yeah, I was thinking the samething. Nothing from the West, Maritimes, or North to note? I highly doubt that. Edmonton's AGA should count, same with Van's Olympic Village off the top of my head. Some in Calgary too, but they are still U/C to date (the Bow, Le Germain). I'm sure there's something in the Maritimes for 2010.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 8:37 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the samething. Nothing from the West, Maritimes, or North to note? I highly doubt that. Edmonton's AGA should count, same with Van's Olympic Village off the top of my head. Some in Calgary too, but they are still U/C to date (the Bow, Le Germain). I'm sure there's something in the Maritimes for 2010.
I'm not talking about the larger projects as those are, seemingly, not the focus of this award. I don't feel that Edmonton's AGA deserved of an award nor do I think it was completed when the deadline came. I'm thinking there must be a smaller project out there that was outstanding in Winnipeg, Vancouver or Halifax. (I use those three cities because they at least have a tradition in those cities. Calgary is only developing it and Edmonton is still lagging.)

Having said that, the one I felt pushed any envelopes in design amongst the winners was Montreal's Bibliotheque.

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 8:26 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS_rls View Post
These designs don't excite.
That's what makes them so Canadian!

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS_rls View Post
Those are incredibly bland, dated looking designs. Most of them looks like 70s/80s west coast architecture. That forest guest house is cute, but it's not much different from what Arthur Erikson was doing thirty years ago.
Or even farther back. Some of these pictures look as if they came out of a c. 1960s book of modern architecture, ala Eames or Farnsworth house.

Not that I'm objecting. I happen to like what's here.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 4:28 AM
The good old days are now

Funny, I drive by the St-Germain aqueducts and sewers building in St. Hubert all the time, and I never saw it as an architectural gem.

This is what it looks like from the road. Aside from the front view, it is a pretty unattractive/bland building if you ask me.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?layer=c&c...-krlCY9s7YMzbg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture