HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 5:02 PM

MARSEILLE | The Marseillaise | 443 FEET | 31 FL

Nearby the CMA-CGM tower completed last year, which makes an embryonic cluster of 300-400 footers be rising there on France's Mediterranean coast.
So let my cheerleaders line up for Marseille... There you go, shake it folks.

The project named SAS Suède includes 2 residential highrises, an office one and an office low-rise:
Lion tower: residential, designed by Yves Lion, 113 m (371 ft), 33 floors.
Nouvel tower: office, designed by Jean Nouvel, 135 m (443 ft), 26 floors.
H99 tower: residential and retail, designed by Jean-Baptiste Piétri, 99 m (325 ft), 27 floors.
Carta building: office, designed by Roland Carta and Patrick Triacca, 31 m (102 ft), 9 floors.

Construction has been beginning for years lol.
Nah, French forum PSS (serious site, no bullcrap allowed over there) has it U/C indeed, it looks like there's a large excavation on the site and they say cranes are being assembled right now.

Of course if any Frenchie has any further informations or pictures, plz bring them up here.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Aug 30, 2022 at 12:30 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 12:07 PM

It's moving slowly, only the H99 condos and the Carta mid-rise are actually under slow construction, the 2 other high-rises are on hold or something. They don't seem in a hurry to build the whole thing...

Note that H99 is the first residential high-rise built in France since the 70s. A few renderings of the apartments are available on their site.

Lobby:

Floor 1 to 9:

Pools and fitness equipments on floor 10:

Floor 11 to 19:

Floor 20 to 26:

The price of a square meter ranges from € 6000 to 11000 depending on floors.

The construction site is stuck between 2 highway bridges so they don't easily take pictures. jack de mars posted a few a couple of days ago, for instance:

Nothing much to be seen so far.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 1:45 PM
Autrefois

Those are pretty flippin cool.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 9:38 PM

Renderings of what they call boulevard du Littoral with that little cluster in the background, it's part of the Euroméditerranée business district currently developed.

Marseille's docks are undergoing a massive redevelopment.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 7:16 PM

Although the Lion (nicknamed Horizon, turned into a hotel) and the Nouvel (nicknamed la Marseillaise, still office) towers are still seeking secured fundings, the whole thing looks to be on a slow progress. Funding of the H99 tower and the Carta building (nicknamed Baltazar) have been easier.

Fundations and underground parking spaces of the entire complex are pretty much done on that picture.

flickr.com

It's coming up, but hell it's being slow... The spot is yet very nice, facing the Mediterranean...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 5:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

looking forward to my Marseille trip in May.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 11:05 AM

This project was introduced in 2006, and all we've got so far is an underground parking garage and the smaller Carta building. The 3 taller structures are on hold, and there would yet be an offensive legal appeal against Nouvel's tower... Hè, dammit, that is not reasonable. It's not like Mareille would be a random provincial hole, huh. The 3rd metro area in the country, and there's actually some money out there. So wut da fuck are they doing?

Pff, I don't follow that story too much. It's too slow and annoying for anyone (apparently including desperate locals) to take it. The appeal is supposed to be cleared in May - it doesn't have a chance to prevail in court, some assholes are just trying to delay construction even more, or may be blackmailing the developer to steal some money from them - then we might finally see something happen regarding those 3 humble highrises that are taking a ridiculous, humiliating forever to rise.

Putain...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 8:37 PM

A still optimistic rendering of that district part of the redeveloped docks...

There's another moderately tall (roughly 20 floors) building that should come and improve the skyline by sitting between CMA-CGM and Quais d'Arenc as seen on the rendering. It won't be that black little tower, however. That was only a proposal. The actual design will be different and unveiled later, and from Rudy Riciotti who became renowned nationally for having designed the MuCEM (Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilisations), precisely in Marseille.

Most renovations of the historic structures along boulevard du Littoral (a couple of posts above) are done yet. This is the kind of things the neighborhood has to offer.

http://projets-architecte-urbanisme.fr/

And some shops, restaurants and various things to settle down there. In there for instance:

Pic by osin13 on pss-archi

Okay? This is all part of the Euroméditerranée masterplan, the largest in entire France, I believe. It should be a hit. They're just taking wayyy too long in building that couple of highrises down the boulevard.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 10:22 AM

According to local paper La Provence, Nouvel's office tower and residential H99 would begin to rise in the coming weeks, seemingly as of November. Fingers crossed.

Nothing new about Yves Lion's tower. I can't even remember what it was eventually supposed to be. A hotel, I believe.

As for the Carta office midrise, it's completed yet.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 10:14 AM

I was quite naively excited the day when I created this thread myself in the construction subforum. Sorry about that. I'm confused about what's happening. The story's been long, so I lost the plot. Lol

It seems like groundbreaking for Nouvel's tower, the tallest of the 3 nicknamed la Marseillaise is to be celebrated on 12/17, within 3 days from now. However, we'll still have to wait for months before H99 actually gets U/C. Yet most condos in there would be selling fairly well. I don't know why they're taking so long. As for the 3rd tower, it definitely will be the last to rise.

This rendering showcases the redeveloped docks, supposedly by 2020.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 5:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I will try to get some shots when I am in Marseille again this May.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 10:46 AM

Nouvel's tower seems finally actually ready to go up. These are from Aug. 3. You might have to scroll to the right to see the whole pictures.

Prime viewpoint of pier113 on pss-archi.

Residential H99 would start to rise as of October or sometime soon anyway. So those 2 will be built for real, but no one seems to know about the 3rd whose design appears the least appreciated. It's still on hold.
Mind you that the foundations and the underground parking garage are already done; it's the work on superstructures that's taking so long to begin.

That being said, the pressure for taller buildings and greater density is on over there as over Lyon or Paris.
Here's another project I just heard of from watching SSC.

There's a couple over there like this, and I don't think nimbyism would be as ferocious in Marseille or Lyon as it is in Paris, thankfully.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 12:25 PM

stunning.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 5:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
This portion of the project is completed. I was there in May. Still half vacant (commercial).

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 1:38 PM

Cranes finally taking over parking lots nearby the docks.

You know what? It's not too soon for this ancient city that's still claiming to teach us all about anything. Heck, finally! It's still quite a bit late on Lyon and Paris, huh. While they've got that mad luck to sit there on that motherfucking Med coast. Dang, I'd hate them if I didn't love my country.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 5:47 AM

Nouvel's office tower going up.

Marseille Autrement

H99 to follow sometime...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 11:18 AM

Core of the office tower (slowly) going up.

The picture is from a pdf file downloadable from the Euroméd official site.

If you take a look at the whole masterplan, you'll realize these 3 buildings tall enough to be called highrises are the most noticeable, yet only a little bit of the overall thing that's tremendous.

I think the most significant of these 3 would be the residential to bring high-rise housing back in fashion over the country, but it's still on hold.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 10:38 AM

Lol, ghettoish picture.

https://www.facebook.com/deuxyeuxsurmarseille/

Good to see something going up anyway. That rising core is that of Jean Nouvel's building nicknamed "la Marseillaise", which is an office tower.

The 2 other towers on hold are still scheduled. Full residential H99 will be built as originally designed. Most units in there might be sold by now.
But the 2nd remaining tower whose design was the most criticized would be slightly scaled down. I forget what its contents are supposed to be in the end. Still most likely a hotel.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 4:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Marseille still a sore-thumb skyline. Much of the rest of the city is fabulous, though. Underrated historical gem.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 5:24 PM
Ω

I'm a little worried about the colors. I hope it looks better when the facade is all up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive