HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 3:31 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
How so? When it was originally proposed in 2014, it was 1,186 feet tall. They went through the approval process and built it beginning in 2016 and it will end up being 1,191 feet. It's not like the project was put on hold or stalled or anything.

Are you referring to the original site plan from SOM for Lakeshore East? That didn't have the specific proposal for Vista, just a concept of what could go there.
It was 1,144 at some point I think then got bumped up.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
How so? When it was originally proposed in 2014, it was 1,186 feet tall. They went through the approval process and built it beginning in 2016 and it will end up being 1,191 feet. It's not like the project was put on hold or stalled or anything.

Are you referring to the original site plan from SOM for Lakeshore East? That didn't have the specific proposal for Vista, just a concept of what could go there.
Point is something much taller and better than what was originally proposed ended up being built after Magellan waited for the next cycle. I remember people being disappointed when Arquitectonica tower did not start last cycle. I was one of those people but I'm really happy with how things played out.

https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...d.php?t=131000

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 4:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

no, chicago_forever is referring to the original plan magellan had for the vista site back in the last cycle.

this 76 floor Architectonica designed tower first proposed in 2007 that was killed by the great recession.

source: https://de.phorio.com/file/989574710/

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 5:07 PM

^Ah I see. Thanks for the clarification. I was only aware of the original master plan for the neighborhood and not the specific proposal. Good call.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 6:16 PM
TL;DR

^ As much as I loved that proposal and Arquitectonica generally, I think we got a far superior design from Jeanne Gang, both in the tower itself, its skyline impact and the way it interacts with the city at (each) "ground level".

This is the rare case when we ended up with a stronger design due to a recession intervening...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 6:56 PM

agree

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 8:31 PM

Arqueitonica would go great at 201 n. Columbus. Obviously with a smaller base. Even though the middle hole would mistly be blocked by by bcbs, i think.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 10:12 PM
DENNAB

I think it would look good a lot taller with a smaller hole at the top, SWFC style.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 11:03 PM

444 W Lake actually gained a bunch of floors after being delayed by the recession as well. So did OGP/NEMA which was originally proposed as a heinous squiggly 750' building only to be replaced by a nearly 900' beautiful boxy beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
it's almost like chicago isn't overrun with millionaires, who'd a guessed
I thought you were Mr. " Too many millionaires are ruining Chicago"?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 1:24 PM
BANNED

Let's remember that the lot where this tower is going is being used as a staging area for the massive renovation project next door. It makes financial sense to hold off on construction until the Tribune Tower reno is in hand.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:05 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Let's remember that the lot where this tower is going is being used as a staging area for the massive renovation project next door. It makes financial sense to hold off on construction until the Tribune Tower reno is in hand.
True, but didn't they mention at some point that they'd go ahead with the approval process beforehand?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:13 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
True, but didn't they mention at some point that they'd go ahead with the approval process beforehand?
these large scale projects almost never go according to "the plan" in chicago. shit ALWAYS takes longer than the developer's initial rosy prognostications.

it's like the old celsius to farenheit shortcut conversion formula, whenever a developer says they anticipate such and such to happen by such and such date, just "double it and add 30".

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 8, 2019 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 10:31 PM

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 1:39 PM

It needs to be stated again, just a great thing that this gem is getting all fixed up like it is. It seems like a lot of work to maneuver around that crown, etc. with scaffolding and what not. a Very nice to see the effort and care being put into it. Easy to take this masterpiece for granted. Good on them.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:51 PM

^It's always great to see attention given to our city landmarks, but from what I know from our experience in almost being part of this development, and what I've seen from people who are involved in this renovation, I think the developer is getting too much credit for their perceived stewardship.

The exterior of the tower is a city landmark. They are held to a certain restoration standard for all work they do, and there's no way they wouldn't have done the necessary stone repairs now, as no one is going to buy into a luxury condo building that will require major exterior repairs right after the developer has left the picture. The developer also decided to do this project without historic tax credits, so there is no additional historic oversight beyond the landmarked tower exterior and lobby. The rest of the historic interiors are gone. The McCormick offices on the 24th floor were gutted, as were the marble and mahogany corridors on every floor, oak paneled conference rooms, pretty much everything inside. If we are lucky, some of it was salvaged to be able to live on somewhere else.

The developers I believe even originally planned to demolish all of the three lowrise buildings and just keep the tower, but later backed off that idea due to potential public and aldermanic push back.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 5:05 AM

The scaffolding is legit on this one... need to get my other photos uploaded. They are bricking over the backside of this one, telling me they definitely plan on building the additional tower in the near future, otherwise I'd expect them to keep windows in the common area spaces until they had to lose them. At least, that's the logic I'm using to be optimistic about the proposal lol

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 5:59 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
The scaffolding is legit on this one... need to get my other photos uploaded. They are bricking over the backside of this one, telling me they definitely plan on building the additional tower in the near future, otherwise I'd expect them to keep windows in the common area spaces until they had to lose them. At least, that's the logic I'm using to be optimistic about the proposal lol
That is the side that faces the future site of the tower, right?

My guess is they'll build something sooner rather than later but it won't be 1,400+ feet. We shall see.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 11:40 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
That is the side that faces the future site of the tower, right?

My guess is they'll build something sooner rather than later but it won't be 1,400+ feet. We shall see.

My guess is it's not going to make it this cycle (and I agree this will be something much shorter....though not short). Just a guess though, as I don't have insider knowledge.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 11:50 PM

I concur on the next cycle but if OCS is the final build then who can really complain?

Oh and let's not forget WPS....

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 8:55 PM

Curbed has renderings of the condos and amenities in the renovated tower. Really nice use of the existing architectural features. Full article

Swimming pool

Top floor terrace

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals