HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 4:35 PM

I think for a foreigner, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Curitiba, Florianópolis and practically any small city on the coast of the country would work quite nicely if willing to learn Portuguese.

There are also others like inland Belo Horizonte, Goiânia, Campo Grande ect that offer great quality of life but are smaller and potentially offer greater frustration due to being more provincial (even for native Brazilians.)

Fortaleza is alright, it is probably more similar to what you would expect living in Mexico or another more stereotypically Latin country than other places in Brazil, which typically do not have the same feel. As far as climate, yes- probably better than Salvador if only because Fortaleza is in the arid region of the Northeast and has hardly ever any rainy days. Salvador is in the Atlantic Forest eco-zone and can have pounding rain for days without end.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
A few years ago, my friend's job moved him and his wife from Detroit to Salvador, Bahia, for a 1.5 year rotation. When he told me they were going I wasn't sure they would like it, since the infrastructure in Salvador is much worse than Detroit. But they both loved it.

I personally like Salvador a lot too, and I would consider buying a vacation property there. I've never been to Fortaleza, but I heard that it has an even better climate than Salvador.
Yes, I was talking about an average person. For open minded, flexible people, both cities might work just fine.

Salvador is a bit more interesting than Fortaleza due its historic core, the bay, the overall setting and is a more established urban centre (same for Recife). Fortaleza has just this white beach plus highrise wall waterfront combo going on forever.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 5:07 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
Santiago is a little colder than San Jose, but I'd say the climates are pretty similar (spent a lot of time in both). There are mountains with snow right outside the city, but the city itself isn't at that high of an elevation (~2000 ft), receives snow about once a decade, and it never sticks. Freezing temperatures within the city are as rare as they are in SJ. That said, it's not a tropical city by any stretch, and the pollution can be pretty overwhelming during the summer - it makes Salt Lake City look smog-free.

I would agree with others that the Columbian cities are some of your best bets. Cartagena is a great city, but a bit warm/humid for my taste. Bogota has phenomenal weather and is a great city. Both cities, along with others in Colombia, are improving rapidly in just about every way. The only downside is that travel outside the cities in Colombia is still relatively dangerous compared to say, Brazil.

You mentioned northeast Brazil, and while I have a special connection to Fortaleza (traveled there several different times for different reasons, proposed to my wife there, etc), I can't recommend it based on your view that wealth disparity is alarming in Rio/SP. As someone else mentioned, northeast Brazil takes wealth disparity to another level compared to those two cities. Natal and Fortaleza aren't too bad (probably somewhat similar to SP, maybe a little worse), but Salvador and Recife are orders of magnitude worse than Rio or SP. Each one is basically a nice (ish) colonial center surrounded by some gated highrise complexes surrounded by miles and miles of favelas. If you're looking for a place in Brazil without huge wealth disparity, look to cities in the three southern states. Not really tropical I guess, but still plenty warm. Portuguese is probably a bit harder to learn than Spanish, but not overwhelmingly so. Understanding/speaking Spanish in most of the South American countries (especially Venezuela/Colombia, IMO) is going to be a pretty major adjustment from San Diego Spanish anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, if you're tempted to look at southern Brazil, definitely consider Buenos Aires. I lived there for a little over seven months for my first job out of grad school and loved every minute of it.

yeah not tropical, but they do have palms, so not too cold either. for somebody moving i would add santiago is probably the most familiar feeling major city for north americans.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
I think for a foreigner, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Curitiba, Florianópolis and practically any small city on the coast of the country would work quite nicely if willing to learn Portuguese.

There are also others like inland Belo Horizonte, Goiânia, Campo Grande ect that offer great quality of life but are smaller and potentially offer greater frustration due to being more provincial (even for native Brazilians.)

Fortaleza is alright, it is probably more similar to what you would expect living in Mexico or another more stereotypically Latin country than other places in Brazil, which typically do not have the same feel. As far as climate, yes- probably better than Salvador if only because Fortaleza is in the arid region of the Northeast and has hardly ever any rainy days. Salvador is in the Atlantic Forest eco-zone and can have pounding rain for days without end.
Belo Horizonte is big, capital of a big state, has lots of good urban pedestrian friendly districts and an very diverse nightlife. Goiânia, on the other hand, is much smaller and completely autocentric, far from the coast and other bigger urban centers and it’s not great for work (comparatively low wages). Campo Grande a bit of the same, but smaller.

I listed Curitiba, as it’s an economic powerhouse, but it’s not a very exciting place. Bland nightlife and the population is very introspective. Porto Alegre, as a more established metropolis, is much better in this regard. Florianópolis, even though smaller, would be very attractive for resident foreigners as it offers beach life, organization and good jobs.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
yeah not tropical, but they do have palms, so not too cold either. for somebody moving i would add santiago is probably the most familiar feeling major city for north americans.
The average temps for the hottest month in Santiago ranges from 53F-85F. It’s colder than most of any major North American city in the summer.

And the coldest month between 36F-58F. That’s not tropical at all.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
The average temps for the hottest month in Santiago ranges from 53F-85F. It’s colder than most of any major North American city in the summer.

Santiago's climate is very similar to coastal southern California. On average, Santiago only gets slightly colder than Los Angeles during winter.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Santiago's climate is very similar to coastal southern California. On average, Santiago only gets slightly colder than Los Angeles during winter.
I got 47/68 for the coldest month in LA. Santiago is 36/58. And unlike LA, there is no sunshine, no beaches in Santiago.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:02 PM

Quote:
I got 47/68 for the coldest month in LA. Santiago is 36/58. And unlike LA, there is no sunshine, no beaches in Santiago.
Yeah, Santiago is more inland than L.A. and is blocked by the mountains from the open ocean. The ocean keeps L.A.'s temp warmer in the winter. If you look at averages in some of the inland cities near L.A., like Victorville, Calif., you'll see the temp drops even more during the winter than Santiago. Overall, though, both regions have Mediterranean climates.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Santiago is more inland than L.A. and is blocked by the mountains from the open ocean. The ocean keeps L.A.'s temp warmer in the winter. If you look at averages in some of the inland cities near L.A., like Victorville, Calif., you'll see the temp drops even more during the winter than Santiago. Overall, though, both regions have Mediterranean climates.
Yes, which is very far from tropical. In fact, the Mediterranean Sea (that borrowed its name for the climate), gets snow quite often. People cannot even get into the ocean in places like Los Angeles or Cape Town as its cold.

I, for one, don't like those places where the weather is always the same all over the year. Santiago, for instance, and Los Angeles to a lesser extent are always a bit cold all over the year. How you enjoy a swimming pool in such places?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, which is very far from tropical. In fact, the Mediterranean Sea (that borrowed its name for the climate), gets snow quite often.

People cannot even get into the ocean in places like Los Angeles or Cape Town as its cold.
Yeah, actually, I might have misunderstood the other point before, lol. I agree, Santiago is not tropical. It's sub-tropical. So is Los Angeles.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:30 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

yes not tropical. as for cold its also more moderate than most american cities. thats why they can have the palms.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 6:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Maple Creek, Saskatchewan.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
yes not tropical. as for cold its also more moderate than most american cities. thats why they can have the palms.
Many areas can grow palms in the U.S. outside the “tropical” areas in Florida and Hawaii.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:21 AM

As someone who moved to Fairbanks partly because the summers in the Chicago area are far too hot for my liking, this is an engrossing thread with just how drastically different the perspective on "hot" is. Above 77 F I have no desire to be outside.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Yes, which is very far from tropical. In fact, the Mediterranean Sea (that borrowed its name for the climate), gets snow quite often. People cannot even get into the ocean in places like Los Angeles or Cape Town as its cold.

I, for one, don't like those places where the weather is always the same all over the year. Santiago, for instance, and Los Angeles to a lesser extent are always a bit cold all over the year. How you enjoy a swimming pool in such places?
LA's only somewhat chilly in December/Jan and mostly at night or in the morning.
Even 65 and sunny in LA in the daylight can feel hot enough for a swimming pool/ocean is fine.

I like the coolness at night or in the morning. Burining heat all day sucks.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 5:53 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Many areas can grow palms in the U.S. outside the “tropical” areas in Florida and Hawaii.

Ah, Utah. Land of the Mormons and the... palm trees

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
LA's only somewhat chilly in December/Jan and mostly at night or in the morning.
Even 65 and sunny in LA in the daylight can feel hot enough for a swimming pool/ocean is fine.

I like the coolness at night or in the morning. Burining heat all day sucks.
I don't mind cold weather at all. Specially for you guys up there with central heating everywhere. In fact, I don't know how people in Dallas or Phoenix cope with their summers with their crazy high temps.

But when it comes to water... I hate cold water. If temps fall below 20C/68F overnight, swimming pool will be unconfortable next day for me. Min of 20C/68F, max 30C/86F are perfect for a pool day.

P.S. Fahrenheit is a nightmare. Celsius is much simpler and makes sense. I'm talking to you guys with the conversion opened right here...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:51 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post

yes many areas with the moderate weather for them. also notice on that map where they do not grow.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 4:06 PM

Palms grow in Ireland, so not sure if that's the best metric.

If climate change causes winters in the continental U.S. to be less harsh, you might see palms growing naturally as far north as places like coastal New Jersey, New York City, Long Island, Ohio, and maybe even lower Michigan.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 4:09 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Palms grow in Ireland, so not sure if that's the best metric.

If climate change causes winters in the continental U.S. to be less harsh, you might see palms growing naturally as far north as places like coastal New Jersey, New York City, Long Island, Ohio, and maybe even lower Michigan.

only if you spare a gulf stream.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions