HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 4:47 AM

Hey great find! Any idea how old this sketch is? I couldn't find anything on this concourse A above what you found. Having a customs facility would be the first step to starting Int'l service to BOI, the second step would be demand... If this Zonda facility pans out and becomes a major employer in the area we would certainly see increased business and leisure travel, maybe enough to justify flights to Canada/Mexico?

So I understand that Alaska Air's year end announcement is on January 26th and new routes and destinations could be announced then. BOI-RNO would make sense, maybe even just once daily or less. WN's RNO service worked because of their connections beyond Reno. If AS flew to Reno most passengers would be terminating there.

One new destination that could make sense for Alaska is Salt Lake City. They already successfully fly from Seattle and Portland into other airlines hubs such as Denver, Minneapolis and Dallas-Ft. Worth. Adding SLC would be a direct aim at Delta, who Alaska partners with (but they already fly into MSP). If Alaska added SLC they could consider adding BOI-SLC service to fill the hole that WN left. This route would make sense if Alaska is concerned about SEA/PDX-SLC demand. They could fly a couple nonstops daily from Portland and Seattle to Salt Lake and provide additional service by connecting through Boise. There is typically high demand from BOI-SLC as well as high demand on BOI-SEA/PDX. Beginning SLC service would be a significant investment by Alaska, but SLC is the last major hole in their route map.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 6:18 AM

I'm curious as to why BOI has concourses B and C but no concourse A. Recently I flew from Boise to Seattle and left from concourse C, out of which I'd never flown before--it's always been B. Does anyone know their specific purposes, and why we don't have an "A"?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 9:15 AM

That CBP rendering has no significance or relevance to BOI's future. The Airport, less than 18-months ago, opened a new 5K+ sf facility about a mile east of the terminal facility, and it has expansion capability (to 10K or so sf) in that location. Perhaps this rendering was one which was considered several years ago, at a different location, but it is not what was decided upon and executed. The existing CBP facility effectively means BOI already is an International Airport, just not in official name. The existence of U.S. Customs & Border Protection services is the primary requirement to be deemed "International." It creates the ability to process arriving international passengers & cargo, but not tied to scheduled international service. So, if BOI was to attract transborder service from a Pre-Cleared Canadian market, that service could operate today, as could charters with prior arrangements to be cleared @ BOI upon arrival.

As for BOI-RNO, I also eventually see AS/QX on that route, but it seems it won't be happening in the near future, unless internal priorities change in SEA. The announcement made yesterday for the new IntraCA + RNO service was sort of a blow to BOI-RNO happening in the near term. Unfortunate to see BOI-RNO without anyone providing nonstop service. The 76-seat Q400 is the ideal aircraft, both in capacity as well as operational efficiency combined with QX's low cost structure. What's interesting is QX is ending SMF-SJC, which was tagged w/BOI, and is adding RNO-SJC (a route dropped by WN), but not BOI-RNO. Seems to be a natural, and perhaps there is a plan which isn't fully in place or finalized to add that link. Hopefully by 2013 the plane will be plying the route a couple of times daily.

Lastly, Conc B was already in existence at the former terminal, while Conc A was demolished when the new facility was built. There was discussion over whether to rename Conc B as Conc A, but it was felt that would create too much confusion with longtime users already familiar with Conc B, let alone the cost associated with creating all new signage. Conc C was added in 2004 as part of the new terminal facility, to serve primarily Horizon Air, though there have been a few other operators down there briefly. Only Horizon remains today. Eventually, when demand warrants, a new Conc A will be constructed to the right of the Food Court where the bar & lounge currently exists, but that is YEARS away from happening, surely not before 2020.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 11:26 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLonthebrain View Post
That CBP rendering has no significance or relevance to BOI's future. The Airport, less than 18-months ago, opened a new 5K+ sf facility about a mile east of the terminal facility, and it has expansion capability (to 10K or so sf) in that location. Perhaps this rendering was one which was considered several years ago, at a different location, but it is not what was decided upon and executed. The existing CBP facility effectively means BOI already is an International Airport, just not in official name. The existence of U.S. Customs & Border Protection services is the primary requirement to be deemed "International." It creates the ability to process arriving international passengers & cargo, but not tied to scheduled international service. So, if BOI was to attract transborder service from a Pre-Cleared Canadian market, that service could operate today, as could charters with prior arrangements to be cleared @ BOI upon arrival.

As for BOI-RNO, I also eventually see AS/QX on that route, but it seems it won't be happening in the near future, unless internal priorities change in SEA. The announcement made yesterday for the new IntraCA + RNO service was sort of a blow to BOI-RNO happening in the near term. Unfortunate to see BOI-RNO without anyone providing nonstop service. The 76-seat Q400 is the ideal aircraft, both in capacity as well as operational efficiency combined with QX's low cost structure. What's interesting is QX is ending SMF-SJC, which was tagged w/BOI, and is adding RNO-SJC (a route dropped by WN), but not BOI-RNO. Seems to be a natural, and perhaps there is a plan which isn't fully in place or finalized to add that link. Hopefully by 2013 the plane will be plying the route a couple of times daily.

Lastly, Conc B was already in existence at the former terminal, while Conc A was demolished when the new facility was built. There was discussion over whether to rename Conc B as Conc A, but it was felt that would create too much confusion with longtime users already familiar with Conc B, let alone the cost associated with creating all new signage. Conc C was added in 2004 as part of the new terminal facility, to serve primarily Horizon Air, though there have been a few other operators down there briefly. Only Horizon remains today. Eventually, when demand warrants, a new Conc A will be constructed to the right of the Food Court where the bar & lounge currently exists, but that is YEARS away from happening, surely not before 2020.
Now that we do have a fully functioning CBP facility, I wonder if Boise will rename the airport "Boise International Airport." I really don't see why not at this point. Actually having scheduled international service is no requirement to change the name, and I can't imagine it'd be that costly of a change. Minimal cost, and it adds a slight marketing pizzaz... Boise International Airport sounds a lot sexier than Boise Air Terminal.

I wouldn't worry about AS/QX in Boise. I had a great chat with the VP of Marketing at Alaska just over a year ago... We briefly touched on the subject of the Air Group in Boise, and I personally think the future is bright for AS/QX here. Also, look for further route announcements on the 26th during the year end earnings call. From what I've heard, we'll see a lot of interesting movement on the AS route map this year (not necessarily related to Boise).

And thanks for the info regarding that rendering of Concourse A. Of course, even if it's just conceptual, I would love it if Concourse A ended up looking something like that (and yes, I agree, it's many years out).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 9:10 AM

Boise International Airport does sound sexy

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 12:09 AM

Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines announced some big changes today. For better or for worse, Boise was not included on the list. I wasn't expecting any increase in service or capacity after what recently happened but I was a little nervous when I saw the headline that we could possibly see further reductions (Recent losses of American Eagle, SeaPort and Southwest routes have left me cynical). Seems Albuquerque suffered a similar reduction to Boise's this time around; they lost 3 non-stop routes. For a full run-down see:

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/sc...tember-28-2012

IMO, Southwest is going to have to make some changes, and hopefully this schedule is part of those necessary changes, to remain competitive. It may seem like Southwest is a giant, and they are, but they are no longer a low-cost carrier in the most important sense of the term: price. Yes they are a low-cost carrier because they lack airport lounges and a first/business class and because the staff is quirky and casual instead of formal. They fly a point-to-point system instead of the legacy airlines' hub routes. But their tickets are no longer undercutting the competition. My two most recent flights, BOI-PDX and SLC-PDX were more expensive on Southwest than Alaska and Delta. We weren't checking any bags but we STILL could have flown cheaper on AS/DL if checking a bag and paying the fee.

From what I observe, Southwest has avoided charging itinerary change fees and baggage fees by keeping their fares higher. Now that the public is accustomed to paying to check a bag, Southwest could begin charging for bags and keep their fares lower for those who only carry-on. This would fly in the face of their marketing strategy of no fees, I don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

Regular fare-checking shows that sometimes Southwest is less and sometimes the other carriers are less, but if Southwest wants to make a case for themselves being a low-cost carrier then their fares should reliably be lower than the alternatives. If not, people are going to bail for airlines that reward loyalty by giving lounge access, upgrades to Business/First, connections to the world, allow booking and fare comparisons on 3rd party sites, etc...

Sorry for the rant, I'd be happy to hear feedback... I just think Southwest became too complacent with being the sweetheart airline of the early 2000s. They were the only ones turning a profit and expanding service when the other carriers were going belly-up. When the fortunes began to look more positive for the other airlines, Southwest refused to change their business model...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 9:43 AM

Any updates lately on the proposed Transit Hub downtown?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 3:31 PM
not a cynic

Good question, I haven't heard a word for quite a while.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 3:58 PM

Here is a minor update from a week ago. Somewhere else I read that construction is to begin next year. Seems strange when they have had the money to build this for years.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...essionals.html

Commercial real estate professionals to hear about Boise transit center - Idaho Statesman

Members forming a new chapter of CREW (Commercial Real Estate Women) invite anyone interested in joining to come to a luncheon 11:45 a.m to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 25, at the TableRock Brewpub, 705 Fulton St., Boise.
A short presentation will be given by Rhonda Jalbert of Valley Regional Transit. Rhonda will share information about the forthcoming downtown Boise Multi-Modal Center. See www.valleyregionaltransit.org for a preview.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 4:22 PM

Those blasted Feds always getting involved

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Orange-barr...138528244.html
Orange barrels back out again on I-84 in Boise

BOISE -- Seeing road construction on Interstate 84 seems to be a part of the landscape these days.

The I-84 widening project in Boise wrapped up a few weeks, or so it seemed.

The reason this project started up is because of a change in federal standards. That change made the foundations for two brand new signs instantly out of date.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 3:20 AM

I've been put into a position to run a telecommunications project at the Boise Airport for the next several months. I have been working closely with the airport director. He was telling me the other day of some of the plans out there. Right now they are working to put temporary covering over the rental lot. There will then be a second or "attached" parking garage built. The rental lot will move to either the parking garage or down further to an undisclosed location. When the rental lot is gone, they are wanting to build another concourse that extends west.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 4:40 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
I've been put into a position to run a telecommunications project at the Boise Airport for the next several months. I have been working closely with the airport director. He was telling me the other day of some of the plans out there. Right now they are working to put temporary covering over the rental lot. There will then be a second or "attached" parking garage built. The rental lot will move to either the parking garage or down further to an undisclosed location. When the rental lot is gone, they are wanting to build another concourse that extends west.
If you're curious, here's an airport layout plan from the master plan showing showing some of the projects you mentioned: http://www.iflyboise.com/media/2618/...14-09DRAFT.pdf

It's probably a long time in the future (I'd venture to guess at least 10 years out) before Concourse A is built simply because the airport is, right now, has more than sufficient capacity to meet needs right now and in the near future. Now a new parking garage, on the other hand, will be needed very very soon (actually it was direly needed back in the mid-2000s when demand was at its peak). It'll be great to finally have that go up.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 1:23 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Whoa! Just noticed Delta is also putting a 757 on Boise to Minneapolis on select days from March 7th-12th. Not that significant at all, but that's in addition to the daily 757 that goes to Salt Lake City, and both are the early morning flights that stay overnight, meaning that on select days in March, we'll see two Boeing 757s staying overnight at BOI.

Sorry for the hardcore avgeek moment, but one 757 is exciting enough for me, two is... orgasmic.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 5:54 AM

Frontier axed Boise. Another airline gone. This has to be the fewest airlines to serve Boise in a long time. Only five airlines!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Frontier axed Boise. Another airline gone. This has to be the fewest airlines to serve Boise in a long time. Only five airlines!
Frontier has been serving Boise only seasonally. According to their website they are still planning on returning on April 30th (http://www.frontierairlines.com/plan.../idaho-service). Where did you hear they were pulling out for good? If they're gone it really won't be a huge loss, between United and Southwest Boise already has easy access to Denver.

Last edited by isangpogi; Feb 17, 2012 at 3:53 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 7:33 PM

Try to book a flight past April 30th. They also no longer appear on the airport's website. Previously, it also stated seasonal service beginning April 30th.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 7:48 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Try to book a flight past April 30th. They also no longer appear on the airport's website. Previously, it also stated seasonal service beginning April 30th.
Yep, Frontier is axing Boise, along with a few other destinations. Personally I think it's more indicative of Frontier and the troubles they've been having, rather than it is the Boise market, though Boise to Denver is simply not a large enough route to have three airlines operating mainline equipment on.. at least not in this economy.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 8:17 PM

I generally agree that 3 airlines flying any single route from BOI is overkill and not sustainable year-round. However, in the summer, there is a lot more demand, and there won't be enough seats to accommodate it this year with Frontier's decision combined with Southwest's & Delta's reductions. Frontier was carrying 6,500-7,000 pax per month out of BOI last summer. FWIW, United/Southwest/Frontier serve Spokane-Denver year-round. It's surprising to me that all three continue to co-exist on the route, however, United doesn't have much service in the market, so maybe that's why.

Good things are on the horizon for BOI. 2013 will be a much better year based on efforts currently underway. I'm feeling optimistic! ;-)

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 8:42 PM

It seemed for a couple of years Boise was maybe overserved, now it has swung into underserved. I had to spend a butt load to get to Boise recently, I bought a ticket to NYC for less. Hopefully, I don't really see what new airline(s) would be coming though.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 9:08 PM

20% fewer people flew in/out of BOI in 2011 vs 2007. There's a reason airlines have reduced flights here. The recession has had a HUGE effect on travel demand in the Treasure Valley, and it's not yet coming back. I think there's been a slight over-correction in capacity reduction, but it will turn around. As for buying an LA-NYC ticket for less than BOI, that's a highly competitive market and there are often great deals, as a result. Not necessarily so in BOI, especially with fewer seats in the market as a whole. But, I understand what you're saying, just the same. Trust me when I say there are several opportunities to get BOI moving back in a positive direction!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West