HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

View Poll Results: Halifax forumer or are outside looking in?
I live in and/or rep Halifax 92 80.70%
I am from elsewhere and visit this forum 22 19.30%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 1:55 AM

Don't post much, but follow along. I'm from Halifax

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 7:58 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I live in Vancouver (not new), but am originally from Nfld, and have lived in Halifax.

Last edited by Architype; Feb 18, 2008 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 1:02 PM

Hey everyone, just a quick question - somewhat related to the thread, but not exactly.

I'm in Halifax for two days for a conference, and I'm wondering what new developments I should take a look at while I'm walking around town. I used to live in the city, but haven't been here since early 2003, so I thought it would be fun to see what has change in the past few years.

Suggestions? Any "can't miss" developments worth checking out?

Thanks in advance!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 2:06 AM

New Developments off the top of my head since 2003 in the downtown area would be Martello Tower on top of Park Lane the Paramount next to it on South Park St, then there's Salter Gate next to the Brewery Market on Hollis and Salters St, Condos on South Barrington, Armoury Square on Cunard St next to the Commons, Gladestone Ridge development up by Sobey's on Windsor and north, and St James Place next to Fenwick Tower.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 4:02 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Another is Paramount on South Park and then there are the two Garden Crest buildings on Summer St. Maybe the Lexington was after 2003 (?). There are dozens of smaller ones like W Suites on Barrington, the Marriott on Grafton, the brick building on Queen Street, the All Saints development, the ones around the Hydrostone.. there are all kinds of new lowrise buildings around. How interesting they'd be to visit is debatable, but if you just wander around they'd be noticeable.

The Seawall is kind of interesting, although until they open the new Farmers' Market there's not a whole lot in the area. Does NSCAD have public gallery space? There's Pier 21 and the cruise ship area along with the Garrison Brewery.

The new management building at Dal is kind of nice, as is the NSCC building in Dartmouth visible from the Halifax waterfront.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 2:21 PM

Thanks very much for the suggestions, I took a couple good walks around the peninsula and took in many of the buildings and sites you suggested.

It was interesting to see how much things have changed in some areas, because after reading so much in the forum about Halifax being slow to develop, etc. I expected much of the city to be exactly as I remembered it. I particularly liked seeing the development of more vertical residential space, as there seemed to be much more in the way of condo and apartment buildings than I ever remember.

Nice to see Halifax doing well for itself, and I really enjoyed my short stay.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Thanks very much for the suggestions, I took a couple good walks around the peninsula and took in many of the buildings and sites you suggested.

It was interesting to see how much things have changed in some areas, because after reading so much in the forum about Halifax being slow to develop, etc. I expected much of the city to be exactly as I remembered it. I particularly liked seeing the development of more vertical residential space, as there seemed to be much more in the way of condo and apartment buildings than I ever remember.
Nice to see Halifax doing well for itself, and I really enjoyed my short stay.

Glad to hear you enjoyed you're stay.

There is a lot of development in halifax.I think what you're hearing in the forum is the slow development in the downtown core ,Citidal Hill down to the harbout type thing. There has been a few large highrise development projects such as the Twsisted Sisters that have been delayed because of Heritage groups and lack of leadership by council. There is huge need for new development in this area because of all the Finiacial Service Companies setting up here and the drive to bring more people downtown.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 6:17 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think the "stagnation" thing is more from people who just read the paper and see something about United Gulf being appealed but have no clue what's actually being built. I've read a lot of comments like "there hasn't been a crane up in Halifax in 20 years" which have no basis in reality.

It is true, however, that very little has been built downtown (although to some degree looking just at the area between the Citadel and waterfront is silly since it's mostly built out - more is bound to happen in surrounding areas). Also, what has been built has not been on the same scale as other buildings. The only 20+ storey building to go up in Halifax in the last couple of years is in suburban Dartmouth. No new Purdy's Wharf, 1801 Hollis, Fenwick, etc. has been built downtown.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 8:22 PM
we built this city

Yeah, when alot of the current approved push through there will be a big change.

Halifax really needs a better stadium venue, regardless of franchise.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Yeah, when alot of the current approved push through there will be a big change.

Halifax really needs a better stadium venue, regardless of franchise.
You mean an indoor arena? Or a football-type stadium?

I think the odds of either happening are impossibly long as long as Fred MacGillivray is the main proponent given his tendency to promote grandiose schemes and his less than stellar track record of stewardship of public funds.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
You mean an indoor arena? Or a football-type stadium?

I think the odds of either happening are impossibly long as long as Fred MacGillivray is the main proponent given his tendency to promote grandiose schemes and his less than stellar track record of stewardship of public funds.
You mean as long as Peter Kelly is out Mayor right. Fred MacGillivray has done a lot for this city and is one of its greatest promotors. He at least has vision and thinks big something our goofy mayor lacks.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 3:19 PM
we built this city

I mean multipurpose outdoor, like BMO field in Toronto... on the Shannon Park Site

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 7:46 PM

Must we still call the United Gulf development the "Twisted Sisters" project? This is a term first coined by the Heritage Trust, I believe... I just don't think that our use of their rhetoric does justice to the site...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellirons View Post
Must we still call the United Gulf development the "Twisted Sisters" project? This is a term first coined by the Heritage Trust, I believe... I just don't think that our use of their rhetoric does justice to the site...
Agreed, I just don't know what else to call it. They are suppose to come out with a proper name, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 1:24 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Agreed, I just don't know what else to call it. They are suppose to come out with a proper name, but I haven't heard anything yet.
Well, I've always just called it the UG development or the UG towers. I can't stand to call them the "Twisted Sisters".

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 2:26 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

"Twisted Sisters" is really lame and seriously dates whoever thought it up and the journalists who popularized the nickname. Then again, I guess the 70s and 80s are just like yesterday to most of these people...

I suggest just calling them the United Gulf towers. Hopefully they'll come up with some name soon.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 12:28 AM

Live in Halifax, near the commons (hey, the name gives it away I guess). Ever hopeful that Halifax will become a great small city, with excellent mix of great design and nearby to outdoor recreation, that's what I love about being here. Want to encourage great design. Ban vinyl siding! Bury power lines! More public art! (but none of those awful 'painted murals')

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 1:49 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commoner View Post
Ban vinyl siding!
THANK YOU.......Vinyl siding is the worst building product ever invented. There is nothing appealing about it. It is plastic, it looks like plastic and destroys the visual appearance of every building that is unfortunate enough to have it plastered on it. It warps, twists, fades, blows off in pieces and is either too shiny or too dull and always the wrong colour with black city grime running down its ugly facade. At least some people are having enough sense to rip it off an restore their house to former glory.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 1:51 PM

Been lurking for a long time, just don't post much either.
Been living in hfx for a little over a year now, but been living in NS my whole life.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 6:51 AM

I've been following this forum for a while figured it's time I finally register.

BZ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General