HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, they play fast and loose with the generics for street names these days.

This is a "boulevard" in my part of Gatineau. It's only about 300 m long and there is nothing boulevardish about it.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.49657...7i13312!8i6656
AND....

There is a Gatineau Blvd. in Timmins (Mountjoy sector) that is about 300 m long! There is nothing boulevardish about it either. https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.47898...7i13312!8i6656

The Mountjoy part of Timmins is about 65% francophone (the city as a whole is about 43% according to StatCan) and many francophones in Timmins trace their family history to Gatineau, QC.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 1:15 AM

Aside from using Trail a lot, plenty of Calgary roads are Native names, such as Crowchild, Deerfoot, Blackfoot, Sarcee, Stoney, Shaganappi, and so on... Haven't seen Native names used to such an extent as there is in Calgary.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Edmonton also has Kingsway. It literally means Kings' Way so it doesn't need that extra indicator.

As for roads that change names, there is Whyte Avenue to look at.

At Lindbrook: Highway 630
After Range Road 220: Township Road 515
After Intersection at Sherwood Forest Estates: Highway 630
After Intersection north of Edgar T. Jones Natural Area: Wye Road
After Anthony Henday Drive: Sherwood Park Freeway
After 71st Street: 82 Avenue NW
After 114th Street: University Avenue
After Saskatchewan Drive: Groat Road
After 118th Avenue NW: St. Albert Trail
After 137th Avenue NW: Mark Messier Trail
After 156th Street NW: St. Albert Trail
After a minor intersection north of Ross Road: Highway 2
After Highway 18: Range Road 253
Terminus west of Analta, short of Armstrong Lake.
Yes, but ours is called Kingsway Ave. Vancouver's is literally just the Kingsway. Only equivalents I can think of are Toronto's Queensway and American cities with a Broadway.

In practical day-to-day traveling in Edmonton, the most annoying name-changer is probably Manning Drive - Fort Road - Wayne Gretzky Drive - Capilano Freeway - 75 Street - 66 Street. It's the same road and has 6 names. Whyte Ave at least sort of makes sense with a lot of its name changes and the names out in Lindbrook or Analta aren't really relevant as they're beyond Edmonton. Whyte Ave is actually 82 Ave so that makes sense and it makes sense going east that it turns into the Sherwood Park Freeway. Westward, it changes to University because the old diagonal University Ave which is cut off but still exists in residential McKernan lines up with it. The Groat Rd/St Albert Trail/Mark Messier Tr part makes the least sense, though. Pick one, people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur View Post
Actually, that's not true. Fort St. John is yet another city with the same kind of street numbering as Edmonton's and GP's.

Dawson Creek also has streets which are almost entirely numbered, but it's a bit different. Streets and avenues run the same directions as in Edmonton, but avenues increase in numbers in the opposite direction, and streets are centered at 10 St instead of "100 St" in the downtown core.

In fact, having most, if not all, streets numbered instead of named is a pretty common feature in many towns across the Peace in Alberta/BC. Some are a bit different, and others are the same as Edmonton's and GP's.

Outside of that, the only cities in Canada with similar street numbering systems on a large scale like that I know of are all in Metro Vancouver in Delta (North Delta, actually), Surrey, Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge. Some newer neighbourhoods in North Delta have mainly named local streets though. Surrey's street numbering system like Edmonton's, but "Streets" increase in number to the east. In Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge and Langley, the street numbering system there are basically an extension of Surrey's.

Even in Edmonton, you do get entire neighbourhoods with named instead of numbered streets. You will see this mainly in SW Edmonton between the North Saskatchewan (and some just west of that) and Whitemud Creek and right down to city limits west of Calgary Trail. The two largest communities outside Edmonton within Metro Edmonton, Sherwood Park and St. Albert, have entirely named streets.
Woah, I never even thought of the BC Peace Region. That area really is just an extension of Alberta in so many ways.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
In Toronto, virtually every street is named. The one exception I can think of is in New Toronto / Long Branch, which has numbered N-S streets running off Lake Shore. However, the numbers are actually spelled out, ranging from "First St" to "Forty Second St". Something similar exists in parts of the Glebe in Ottawa IIRC.

https://goo.gl/maps/EkoJJuunC2D2

What I always found confusing about Edmonton is that the took street numbering to such an extreme that every branch of a crescent has a different street number:

https://goo.gl/maps/pj6XKu6NmZM2
https://goo.gl/maps/t3SeWTwtkd12
https://goo.gl/maps/mQkUkdNSDUD2

It doesn't really work too well in subdivisions.
Yeah they really tried adhering to the numbering system even when our sprawl went lollipops on a stick in the '80s. It is extremely enigmatic. Modern sprawl is the opposite usually, completely named roads but in the most asinine way. Eg Garnett Way, Garnett Close, Garnett Crescent, Garnett Point, Garnett Place all in one subdivision.

Personally, I like the numbered system (quadrant, or 100s/50s system) for residential or industrial roads (in a grid or at least broken grid fashion) but prefer named roads for arterials and thoroughfares to give some character and sense of place. Saying you're gonna hang out on 124th St or hit the market downtown on 104th just sounds ugly compared to saying you're gonna party on Whyte or check out a new restaurant on on Jasper Ave.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Garnett Way, Garnett Close, Garnett Crescent, Garnett Point, Garnett Place all in one subdivision.
Wow. Here in Ontario, cities would never approve names that similar as the fire and ambulance departments would throw a fit.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 10:48 AM

Some Ontario streets these days are silly because politicians name them after "notable community members" - some of which have last names that really don't work too well. Richmond Hill is building a Butt Street in a new subdivision for example.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:39 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Wow. Here in Ontario, cities would never approve names that similar as the fire and ambulance departments would throw a fit.
They do that all the time here! Typically you see it where a cul-de-sac shares the name of whatever street it comes off of. You can see quite a few examples in this area. The worst case there is the two cul-de-sacs named after Keats Way, which they come off of - Keats Walk and Keats Way Place. Not confusing at all!

Now the trend seems to be to have themed street names - trees from the Eastern Temperate Forest ecoregion, towns from Baden-Württemberg, left-hand pitchers in the World Series and so on.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:54 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

In Calgary they went numbers instead of names I think as far back as 1903.
As was mentioned, all of the burbs have named streets but with either the exact same name, or at least starting with the same letter, which is annoying.

Many of the innercity neighborhoods have street name signs with the old street name below the current one in smaller text. One exception to the numbered innercity streets is downtown's main shopping street, which reverted back to its former name, Stephen Avenue. I'd like to see that repeated for other streets of note. 1st street briefly flirted with branding itself Scarth St, but it doesn't seem to have caught on. In the community of Inglewood, the main road was called Atlantic Avenue (now 9th Avenue), and there are a few businesses which reference the old name in their names, but no moves that I know of to officially bring back the name.

One thing to note though, many of the names on the original streets in Calgary were just named after CPR execs..

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:04 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
They do that all the time here! Typically you see it where a cul-de-sac shares the name of whatever street it comes off of. You can see quite a few examples in this area. The worst case there is the two cul-de-sacs named after Keats Way, which they come off of - Keats Walk and Keats Way Place. Not confusing at all!

That's a little annoying but doesn't hold a candle to suburban Calgary. Pre-internet days you pretty HAD to have a city map in your car to find places in the suburbs unless you were given ultra-specific directions.

https://goo.gl/maps/EC8qp2eqoH92
https://goo.gl/maps/mw1dnQAPebM2
https://goo.gl/maps/9ruM4FBqQQm

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:02 PM
Closed account

Okay, I take it back, Ontario comes nowhere close to that nightmare.

Edit: Holy cow, that insanity is almost true for every single neighbourhood in Calgary. Is there some sort of savant in the planning department there for which this naming scheme actually makes sense?!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:23 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

We do have the Ben Jungle...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:39 PM

South of the Fraser in Metro Vancouver has an excellent naming system. It helps that you have one point in the ocean and one point is the US border.

Avenues - run east and west
Streets - run north and south

Avenues, every 8 is 1 mile from the US border to the south
Streets, every 8 is 1 mile from some point in the Straight of Georgia.

Overall confusing system: Ontario's Highway network. The download of highways in the late 1990s was beyond confusing. They should have let the numbers and route signage remain, just the maintenance and jurisdiction would have been lost.

Highway 2 to Country Route 2 to Municipal Road 2 to Regional Route 2, etc.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I think Saskatoon wins for dumbest naming convention. They have an area where several different streets have the same name

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:03 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

It always bothers me when a city has a street named 'Main Street' that's just some irrelevant side street.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

And the area is called Bendale? Please tell me the developers name was Ben Bennett.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
It always bothers me when a city has a street named 'Main Street' that's just some irrelevant side street.
Ottawa, Toronto, and Kingston are all like that--'Main Street' is a tiny street that is so named because it was the main street of an old village that has long since been annexed to the city.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:43 PM
sick transit, gloria

That Saskatoon example is madness. How does that even work??

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
That Saskatoon example is madness. How does that even work??
"I live at the corner of East Place and East Place"

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:16 PM

I too hate the identical street names in Calgary suburbs - it just rubs in the face that these are just cheap, sterile, lifeless places where the developer has so little imagination that they can't even pick more than one word to use.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 7:08 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

The thing is with Calgary, it's had such growth that some years there's probably 100 new streets needed, so what they did probably makes sense.

Those names should be very easy to petition to change though in my opinion to give them some sort of meaning.

(honestly though I've long ago stopped caring to even know where new suburbs are located, let alone what their streetnames are)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada