HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 7:53 PM
Space Magi

So to counter the good news today, here's some bad news.

Kum & Go has submitted a conditional use request to build a gas station on the former Sizzler site adjacent to Sugar House Park.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
So to counter the good news today, here's some bad news.

Kum & Go has submitted a conditional use request to build a gas station on the former Sizzler site adjacent to Sugar House Park.

Just more evidence that the city is in desperate need of zoning reforms. The city is clearly developing so fast that by the time any reforms are actually made it’s going to be too little too late.

What an absolute waste of prime real estate, especially because there is a gas station literally across the street. If the city wants to build housing without displacing anyone, places like this would have been perfect to do it.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Jan 17, 2022 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 8:32 PM

Should have been a supercharger location at the very least, tbh.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Just more evidence that the city is in desperate need of zoning reforms. The city is clearly developing so fast that by the time any reforms are actually made it’s going to be too little too late.

What an absolute waste of prime real estate, especially because there is a gas station literally across the street. If the city wants to build housing without displacing anyone, places like this would have been perfect to do it.
All of the council / planning commission members (or whoever said "gas station inside our main city park..what a great idea!") should be fired on the spot for a decision like this. A freakin' GAS station inside Sugar House park with unbelievable mountain views. I just don't get it. Are they all drunk? Do any of them have a high school education at least? Have they ever taken an actual class on city development or smart city planning. What a prime spot to have 3-4 restaurants / cafes with balconies and outdoor eating and views of the park. Instead ... you now get to hear the diesel engines idling while you take your morning jog / walk.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 9:34 PM
Space Magi

I don't think this has come before the city council or planning commission (yet). There's a chance they could deny the conditional use permit because this doesn't fit the intent of the CB zone. I'm not 100% sure if that's in the cards though.

I do expect the planning commissioners, and other Sugar House stakeholders, to push back on this in whatever ways they can.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 9:49 PM

Did everyone see the post that the "Save the Pantages" made over on Reddit? That guy is officially, certifiable crazy! That post looks to me like a clear threat to the Mayor, City Council and Hines. I think he now has no hope for his cause as he burned any cred. Not like he had any to begin with.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I don't think this has come before the city council or planning commission (yet). There's a chance they could deny the conditional use permit because this doesn't fit the intent of the CB zone. I'm not 100% sure if that's in the cards though.

I do expect the planning commissioners, and other Sugar House stakeholders, to push back on this in whatever ways they can.
Agree. I don’t think anyone needs to be fired, just fired up. There are tons of great people working for the city. Salt Lake easily has one of the best planning departments in the state.

Citywide zoning reform has been discussed a lot, but never actually done. I think everyone dreads it cause it’s likely going to cause a lot of backlash from citizen groups. Reform is desperately needed and I hope they city gets fired up and finally acts on it.

All that said, for this property, I do hope the city does whatever it can to prevent the gas station.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Jan 17, 2022 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
If it really is a replacement for LDS Hospital, I would LOVE for them to build something like this:

I'm afraid it will look more like this though:

Source

Maybe we will get something in-between.
Quote:
Agree. I don’t think anyone needs to be fired, just fired up. There are tons of great people working for the city. Salt Lake easily has one of the best planning departments in the state.

Citywide zoning reform has been discussed a lot, but never actually done. I think everyone dreads it cause it’s likely going to cause a lot of backlash from citizen groups (this property though, you may actually get some consensus on at least preventing the gas station).

Reform is desperately needed and I hope they city gets fired up and finally acts on it.
I would be very surprised if the City Council would approve a gas station on that piece of property. I think it has little to no chance.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:

Citywide zoning reform has been discussed a lot, but never actually done. I think everyone dreads it cause it’s likely going to cause a lot of backlash from citizen groups. Reform is desperately needed and I hope they city gets fired up and finally acts on it.

All that said, for this property, I do hope the city does whatever it can to prevent the gas station.
You're right. I got a little aggressive there - I think there are some great people working at the city. But, man... I sure hope this gas station can at least jumpstart some creative thinking for that plot of land - it has so much potential.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Congrats on the publicity Hatman! We even got an SSP shout-out! Full steam ahead!

The ‘audacious’ train plan that could remake a key part of Salt Lake City
Valdemoros' statement is awesome, even if the plan can't happen in its entirety it would be great for the city to include aspects of this in future goals/development plans! Really exciting

I think it will be easier to convince people once they have a real idea of the cost and can plan it as funding is available. I think they should get the U on board

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflatflat9 View Post
Hope this isn't a double post, but did anyone read the article in the Trib about Hatman's idea for the Rio Grande area?
Awesome.
Could lead to traction.
Go Hatman!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 6:23 AM

Congrats to hatman! What's the hold up? Let's get this Rio Grande Plan rolling already! (Kidding, but not really.)

I don't see why we're getting mad at the city about the old Sizzler site. You guys realize it's just up before the planning commission right? It hasn't been approved yet, and honestly given the location and zoning at that site, I'm actually quite optimistic that it's not going to be approved.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 4:58 PM

Agree, It's not likely to go thru. If for some crazy reason it did that would have to be one of the biggest faux pas created in Sugar House since I joined the forum. I'm just amazed that this owner/developer would even propose such a project at that site. And then he acts like he's gifting the city a Michelin-star restaurant by offering up a convenience store along with the gas pumps. This, simply because he envisions the gas station/convenience store offering some better than average muffins. Someone needs to inform this gomer that there's a difference between a Maverick and a Stein Ericksen's.

I mean seriously, it doesn't take a world-celebrated chef or architect to envision a terraced restaurant angled to overlook the park with sweeping views of the Wasatch, plus several floors of residential on top. Something exceptionally classy or with just excellent food would be an easy hit with the community.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 18, 2022 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 8:50 PM
Space Magi

Astra Tower site today

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 9:13 PM

So given all the development that is planned or currently happening salt lake, do you feel that the threat from a city like Sandy creating a business district to rival salt lake is still as prevalent as it was in the early 2000s? Asking anyone.

IMO it seems like downtown Salt Lake is more established now than say 1998. I remember with the loss of the malls it seemed that downtown’s future and Sandy developments were a “scary” time. Now, even if sandy or Draper or silicone slopes got a tall building or buildings, downtown Salt Lake would be able to exist without it suffering devastating effects from such a development. I could be wrong.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
So given all the development that is planned or currently happening salt lake, do you feel that the threat from a city like Sandy creating a business district to rival salt lake is still as prevalent as it was in the early 2000s? Asking anyone.

IMO it seems like downtown Salt Lake is more established now than say 1998. I remember with the loss of the malls it seemed that downtown’s future and Sandy developments were a “scary” time. Now, even if sandy or Draper or silicone slopes got a tall building or buildings, downtown Salt Lake would be able to exist without it suffering devastating effects from such a development. I could be wrong.
IMO I don’t think it would threaten downtown. Look at Denver and the Denver tech center. The tech center in Denver has more mid-rise office buildings than the silicon slopes or anything proposed in Sandy, and Denver’s downtown has still blown up. Big part of that was the Union Station development. The catalyst for SLC will be Hatmans Rio Grande vision. If that materializes it won’t matter if Sandy throws up one “tall” building.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 10:39 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post

Yeah, Sandy has remained very suburban despite its clear aspirations to be some kind of second downtown. Really, the only potential contender to downtown left is the prison site redevelopment in Draper but we have seen that vision get scoped down to the point where it's basically going to be an office park with some low/mid density housing and green space. Lehi has turned into Utah's version of the Denver Tech Center and, given the recent NIMBY uprisings there, it looks like that won't be changing anytime soon. The forces of suburbia have held all of these cities from truly challenging SLC.

My question is this: are there actual people out there that want Sandy or Draper to be a bigger/better urban center than SLC? Or more likely, are there forces that are actively trying to keep political power in Utah more decentralized? I could be wrong about this but I think that once control of SLC was lost to the "gentiles" in the early 20th century, many LDS folk wanted (or want) to de-emphasize SLC in Utah politics.

In the 1990s, I could imagine people wanting to leave downtown SLC because of its general urban decay and the dominance of car culture. You can still see this attitude in comment sections of news articles: some people with very loud opinions have clearly not actually been downtown in many years. The reality is that downtown has rebounded and, with amenities like City Creek, the Gateway, TRAX, the U, SLC International, etc. as well as a booming food & beverage culture, there's no conceivable way any other city will be able to catch up in terms of urbanism. I agree that this is a similar-sounding story to Denver.

The Rio Grande Plan would definitely reinforce SLC's urban reputation. Right now, (without the RGP) Murray Central is better-positioned to be the hub of the rail transit system than SL Central.

Last edited by Atlas; Jan 18, 2022 at 10:52 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 1:31 AM

Thanks you guys for the info

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstar View Post
I would be very surprised if the City Council would approve a gas station on that piece of property. I think it has little to no chance.
A conditional use request is approved by the Planning Commission (or not). Doesn't go to the City Council. Then there is an appeals process with the city appeals officer, then 3rd District Court if it's denied. Problem is the our state pack of jackals (the legislature) has made it very difficult to deny a conditional use petition but it is possible.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 2:40 PM

If anyone is passing by the vicinity of any of these projects it would be great to get some current updates.

New 6th and Main TRAX Station

August 21st

Photos By RC14

6th and Main

September 16th

Photo By Reeder113

September 16th

Photo By Reeder113

650 Main

September 16th

Photo By Reeder113

September 26th

Photo By Blah_Amazing[

West Quarter

September 26th - Construction Updates, Phase I

The West Quarter Phase 1 - Two 11-floor buildings, with 242 residential units and 272 hotel guest rooms with ground floor retail. - under construction

Photos By Blah_Amazing

The Olive

September 26th

The Olive - 6 floors, 120 units - under construction

Photos By Blah_Amazing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West