HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I realize that California's population has declined slightly in recent years but that is not always going to be the situation. California's population is likely to grow again. The travel times for vehicle trips mentioned above are current travels times. Brightline will provide service for at least the next four or five decades. Over this time, unless more capacity is added to I-15 (at considerable expense) travel times are only likely to increase (perhaps substantially) for automobile trips.

Additionally, over the past two decades, much of the population growth in Southern California has been in the Inland Empire, closer to the Rancho Cucamonga station than elsewhere in Southern California.
Based on new numbers the will be released in May, CAs population grew once again in 2023

Last edited by LosAngelesSportsFan; Yesterday at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Not necessarily. German ICE tech (which Siemens is proposing for their American Pioneer trainsets) can handle pretty big grades up to 4.5%. There are a few sections of I-15 that exceed this, I think at Cajon Pass and Mountain Pass.

In those locations the rail line will need to exit the median to follow a different alignment and profile, or they may widen the freeway or do retaining walls. But most of I-15 is sub-4.5% so they can follow the same profile.

My understanding is that Brightline West will stay in the median of I-15 along the entire route, except in Las Vegas and Rancho Cucamonga and where it has to deviate to accommodate one of the intermediate stations. By doing this Brightline West saves money even though speeds will have to slow on the sections of I-15 with sharp uphill grades or tight turns. So Brightline West is not designed to as high a standard of high speed rail as CAHSR is in the Central Valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXF_g_aq8vc

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Based on new numbers the will be released in May, CAs population grew once aydin in 2023
Yeah, according to this article (California’s population is on the rise. So much for the claims of the state’s demise), as of January 1st of this year, California's population has again climbed above 39 million people for the first time since the summer of 2022.

The new data will be released on May 1st.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:45 PM

AI-powered cameras installed on Metro buses to ticket illegally parked cars

AI-powered cameras are being installed on some Metro buses. (Los Angeles Times)

Colleen Shalby
Los Angeles Times
April 24, 2024

Artificial intelligence-powered cameras are being installed on Los Angeles Metro buses to help ticket cars parked in bus lanes.

Testing is planned for this summer and the program is expected to go live by the end of 2024, Metro said, after two months of community outreach to “ensure that the public is aware of the purpose, timing and impacts of this new program.”

“Once cameras are installed, there will be a 60-day warning period for drivers. During the first 60 days, warning citations will only be used as informational notices and will not result in any violations,” the agency said.

The program, designed by technology company Hayden AI, is meant to improve bus times, increase ridership and address mobility concerns. Metro’s Board of Directors approved an $11 million-contract with the company last year to roll out 100 camera systems. The agreement started in December and is supposed to last roughly five years.

The cameras will be mounted inside Metro bus windshields to monitor for parked vehicles in bus lanes and at bus stops, in order to help enforce new parking rules after L.A. City Council approved a fine last year for those who illegally park in bus lanes.
. . . .

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:12 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
AI-powered cameras installed on Metro buses to ticket illegally parked cars

Colleen Shalby
Los Angeles Times
April 24, 2024

Artificial intelligence-powered cameras are being installed on Los Angeles Metro buses to help ticket cars parked in bus lanes.

Testing is planned for this summer and the program is expected to go live by the end of 2024, Metro said, after two months of community outreach to “ensure that the public is aware of the purpose, timing and impacts of this new program.”

“Once cameras are installed, there will be a 60-day warning period for drivers. During the first 60 days, warning citations will only be used as informational notices and will not result in any violations,” the agency said.

The program, designed by technology company Hayden AI, is meant to improve bus times, increase ridership and address mobility concerns. Metro’s Board of Directors approved an $11 million-contract with the company last year to roll out 100 camera systems. The agreement started in December and is supposed to last roughly five years.

The cameras will be mounted inside Metro bus windshields to monitor for parked vehicles in bus lanes and at bus stops, in order to help enforce new parking rules after L.A. City Council approved a fine last year for those who illegally park in bus lanes.
. . . .
That's a good idea but I'm not sure why there's a 60-day warning period. I mean, it's already illegal to park in a bus lane isn't it? And couldn't doing so already result in a fine? It's not like a new law or penalty that people may not be aware of.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:31 PM
Show me the blueprints

Wow, an AI tech that's actually good for society!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation