HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Royal Connaught Phase III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 4:27 PM
Closed account

I found this project in the Vancouver thread...
Seems like a similar bldg to the Connaught.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...endering28.jpg

from this thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=138024

That would look GREAT along Main St!!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 4:37 PM

Yeah that would look great. I just hope it isnt that tall as it would make the connaught seem small and unimportant compared to the condos as the connaught is like a landmark in the gore now. Lets maybe only 10-15 floors taller then connught would be perfect for me. I also hope that if condos go up along there, there properly connacted to the gore....aswell as london tap house.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 4:56 PM
Closed account

I think that the tower (if a tower is to be built), should be put along Main St. Connect the Tower to the Gore with a great urban puplic square in what is now a pkng lot, and connect the Connaught to the Tower w/ a new rec centre!

This project has as much (if not more) potential than the Lister Block to turn downtown around.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 5:00 PM

I think 25-30 floor would be good along Main St. Landmark place is just across the street and looks very lonely. The Connaught is 14 floors I think, and residential floors are a little shorter, so a 25 storey residential building wouldn't be that much taller.

I say let 'em build as high as they want in the core. Height restrictions are for neighbourhoods like James North, Locke or Westdale. Downtown should look like a big city.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 5:19 PM
Closed account

yea, there are only a few sites right downtown that could house towers. behind the Connaught is one of them. If Stinson gets involved you might see him approach a new tallest in this site....would make perfect sense. 40+ stories would work there and would add a huge amount of new residents.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 6:21 PM

I guess this tower would be close enough to the core to become a new tallest. I like how cities have a concentrated area of highrises and not completely spread out. An example would be when you see a skyline pic of TO, there is that concentration of large buildings at the financial district. I hope Hamilton can develop that sort of look around gore park and then slowly go shorter as we head away from gore. I find that very eye appealing and not just a cluster of buildings at the true center and anotehr very tall somewhere nearby but not entirely connected(like landmark place is now) Maybe if we get a tower here, it could better connect landmark and the other building cluster at the center. (stelco,piggot,cibc,sheraton,ellenfarirclough)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 7:54 PM
Closed account

^^ That's funny. I often find a concentrated cluster of high-rises to be very American.
Toronto's High-Rises are spread out going north-south (with a nice new extension east-east thanks to City Place).

Montréal's high-rises are VERY spread apart.

Buffalo, Pittsburgh & Cleveland for example all seem to have ALL high-rises within their core only and none anywhere else. It's kinda strange.

But I like the idea of spread-out skyscrapers... makes a downtown look bigger!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 8:23 PM
Closed account

i can't imagine a 40 storey tower being necessary here. i'd rather see the wealth spread around a little more. a low to mid-rise, very dense lower city is my personal vision.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 8:24 PM

Yeah they are in that sense but i am saying from the general skyline picture of toronto(from lake ontario) There seems to be a cluster of taller buildings in the CBD.

Just my opinion but Hamiltons current skyline has somewhat of a cluster appearance at king/james and then of course the southwest condos and landmark place. Threres also first place which is even farther out there.

I don't mind it if the skyscrapers are very spread out, but i like the idea of having alot located right in the core. Then when that fills up, start building out.

Back to the connaught, I wouldnt mind a 25-35 story tower on that site. I think its reasonably tall and would suit that area well.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 8:57 PM
Closed account

one of the reasons I'd like our new tallest to be at Connaught is because it's right across the street from Landmark Place. It would be nice to have our new tallest dwarf that 70's beauty.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 10:14 PM
On Guard For Thee

RTH--we've found common-ground. I'm usually willing and at least partly able to defend any style of architecture--regardless of vintage. However, Landmark Place is simply ugly. Period.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 10:32 PM
Closed account

^^ It was definately nice in the 70's! I can see how it was impressive, but Landmark Place in today's culture is disgusting... and to top it off, it's our city's tallest :s hahaha

I agree, a new, modern & sexy tower kiddy-corner to Landmark Place would totally give Hamilton's image a new (positive) boost!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 10:43 PM
Hammer'd

Lots of workers shuffling in and out of the Connaught's front doors today, but for the usual reason: movie stuff. Not sure what they're doing, the guy I was talking to wasn't really all that nice and honestly didn't care about anything but going home after work.

They had a generator going in the lobby which is weird because the place still has power (as of last week).

Also noticed that one of the chandeliers was moved from the lobby to the old Fran's. I assume for a movie shoot as well. They re-did the floor tiles as well. Looks pretty nice.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 3:43 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I'm probably the only person who likes Landmark. A 43-story brutalism and mixed use building. The tallest residential building in Canada outside Toronto. That's something.
a new tallest post mod would look like it's right across the street, indeed a nice contrast in arch styles.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 4:09 PM

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 4:26 PM
Closed account

i'm guessing Landmark isn't the tallest residential tower outside of TO anymore.... does anyone know though??

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 4:36 PM

43 storeys still puts it up there. Most of the newer condos are 30ish storeys,

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 4:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's still the tallest residential building outside of the GTA. Others outside of the GTA are mix used buildings.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
i'm guessing Landmark isn't the tallest residential tower outside of TO anymore.... does anyone know though??
There's only one taller residential building (outside TO), it's in Calgary, built in 2007
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=33824

Taller by one meter, bastards.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 4:45 PM

Realcity, is that tower you placed on Main St from Vancouver?

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw DC83's post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton