HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
It says that this development will get started fall of 2021. Any ideas what that will involve?
Depends where you saw that, I didn't see that in this article.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 4:31 PM

I guess I saw that here,

https://www.hamilton.ca/government-i...urban-precinct

Today’s announcement signals an important first step in the development process. Next steps include negotiations between the City and the Precinct Group to create a “Master Agreement”, which is expected to be finalized in late 2020. The completion of this “Master Agreement” would see arena renovations beginning in the Fall of 2021

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 5:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 7:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

If construction does start this fall, I'd imagine there would be massive scaffolding covering Copps.

Crazy boom time for Hamilton, and we're even in a pandemic. Within a year or two, it'll be like every major intersection in downtown Hamilton will have some kind of project happening. It's a major difference when I first joined here; the Federal building on York was the only significant project built in downtown Hamilton in ages and that was public money.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 7:18 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
More details on the construction phase...

Quote:
Some of the FirstOntario Centre’s renovation projects are expected in 2022, while anchor tenants like the newly relocated Toronto Rock professional lacrosse team and Hamilton Bulldogs OHL hockey squad play in the building.

But the arena will likely be shut down in 2023 to do the rest of the work, which is expected to wrap up in early 2024, noted HUPEG partner Jasper Kujavsky.

The timing of the residential redevelopments on the three downtown properties is a subject of continued discussion among the consortium’s partners, Mercanti said.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 7:35 PM

Speaking of redevelopment. Does anyone know who owns the Fortinos plaza at Dundurn? And if it is all owned by a single company?

I was always under the impression this was owned by Fortinos/Loblaws hence the lack of updates to the Fortinos while every other location was upgraded, because the plan was to redevelop to property or sell it for a massive profit once LRT started up.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 7:44 PM

I believe Metrolinx is expropriating part of it and demolishing a bit of the north end of the plaza so I could see Choice REIT not wanting to sink money into it until that was finalized.. which... well... is taking a while.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 8:27 PM
Ham-burgher

I still remember when that property was a steel plant.

From before my time (but not too long before it because this is basically what I recall):

Source

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Oct 6, 2021 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 8:35 PM

Thought it was developed by Robert Properties. But does not show up on their inventory (sad one that it is)

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 10:52 PM

Well this just got a whole lot more interesting.

Former MLSE boss now part of Hamilton’s downtown arena renovation project

Quote:
For a couple years now, the proposed budget for a private-sector renovation of FirstOntario Centre has been pegged at $50 million or so.

That just got considerably bigger.

The local consortium that won the right to redevelop Hamilton’s downtown entertainment venues has partnered with Oak View Group (OVG), a Los Angeles-based arena development company headed by former Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment CEO Tim Leiweke who says his organization will be making a significant financial contribution toward the arena.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 11:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

Former MLSE boss now part of Hamilton’s downtown arena renovation project

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...-district.html

For a couple years now, the proposed budget for a private-sector renovation of FirstOntario Centre has been pegged at $50 million or so.

That just got considerably bigger.

The local consortium that won the right to redevelop Hamilton’s downtown entertainment venues has partnered with Oak View Group (OVG), a Los Angeles-based arena development company headed by former Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment CEO Tim Leiweke who says his organization will be making a significant financial contribution toward the arena.

“(The building) needs an upgrade,” Leiweke says. “It needs some tender loving care. It needs an investment. It needs to be brought up to the standards that now are pretty traditional in arenas ... We’ve got to put some real money into that building and fix it.”

How much more money?

Jasper Kujavsky, Hamilton Urban Precinct Entertainment Group (HUPEG) partner and director of the arena project, says the new budget will be “at least $80 million.”

This will lead to a far-more impressive venue than initially planned with greater amenities and a vastly improved experience for users, says HUPEG president PJ Mercanti.

The specific improvements haven’t been determined yet. Those details are still being worked out. A final budget should be announced in a month or so, Kujavsky adds.

A 2016 study pegged the cost of a complete rebuild of the arena at about $250 million. This new figure clearly doesn’t reach that level. It would, however, cover another option from that same study which would see a remodel of the lower bowl with new private boxes, seating, party areas and more.

Whatever is done to the 36-year-old building, it’ll be done right, Leiweke insists.

“We don’t believe in Band Aids,” he says. “That troubles some of my financial people but if we do something we’ll do it well.”

But it’s not just the money that changes with the arrival of OVG. This partnership will likely bolster the credibility of the entire downtown project. Give it heft, as Mercanti describes it.

Oak View Group was created six years ago by Leiweke and legendary music executive Irving Azoff. It’s developing the New York Islanders’ and the Seattle Kraken’s new billion-dollar arenas, among other projects.

“We’re the largest developer of arenas today in the world,” Leiweke says. “And we wanted to have a place and a presence in Ontario.”

HUPEG, meanwhile, is the consortium of local investors who won the right to redevelop the arena, FirstOntario Concert Hall and Hamilton Convention Centre as well as creating mixed-used development and housing in the core. The whole project is estimated to cost between $400 million and $500 million in private money.

Whether OVG manages the renovated facility remains to be seen.

Spectra currently manages FirstOntario Centre. Leiweke says that contract which runs until the end of 2024 will be honoured. However, in late August, OVG and Spectra announced a merger. If American regulators approve that deal, OVG would essentially become part of the new blended company that would run things.

This will leave questions for some: What’s the catch? Why here? Why Hamilton?

Leiweke says this city is ideal because of its growth potential, proximity to Toronto and his familiarity with the southern Ontario market after spending two-and-a-half years in charge of MLSE.

He doesn’t intend to compete for shows with his old employer down the QEW because he doesn’t believe that’s necessary. Scotiabank Arena is already busy with the Maple Leafs and Raptors and simply can’t handle everything. A second top-notch facility in this region could be booked 150 nights a year, he says.

“There is absolutely room in the marketplace,” he says. “There’s plenty of music to go around here. And there’s plenty of sports to go around.”

He would intend to bid aggressively for any big events that came available.

Kujavsky says that could include things like the Memorial Cup, World Juniors, women’s world championships or any other large competitions.

Leiweke says he has no doubt this can become something great.

“I think we’ve hit this at the perfect time,” he says. “We have great partners, we have a good vision and I love the marketplace.”

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 11:27 PM

Interesting to hear that OVG and Spectra are merging. Spectra also manages Budweiser Gardens here in London, which will be 20 years old next year.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 3:08 AM
Ham-burgher

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 8:33 PM

Wow, this is literally wow news

For people who aren't familiar with Leiweke and his work (both from Raptors days, re: Masai and Leafs) and now OVG, this is a massive win for Hamilton. The renovated Seattle Center aka Climate Pledge Arena now (home of the Kraken) and the gorgeous new Islanders arena (UBS Arena) are quite impressive.

This just upped this renovations impact x10.

Also this is quite good news for the project that the renovation design in Hamilton will be led by Brisbin Brook Beynon Architects. BBBA managed the renovation of Madison Square Garden. The project will include upgrades in food and beverage, premium and club spaces, employ the latest technology, and make sustainability a priority as it is at Climate Pledge and UBS arenas.

Last edited by craftbeerdad; Oct 12, 2021 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 4:51 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Wow, this is literally wow news

For people who aren't familiar with Leiweke and his work (both from Raptors days, re: Masai and Leafs) and now OVG, this is a massive win for Hamilton. The renovated Seattle Center aka Climate Pledge Arena now (home of the Kraken) and the gorgeous new Islanders arena (UBS Arena) are quite impressive.

This just upped this renovations impact x10.

Also this is quite good news for the project that the renovation design in Hamilton will be led by Brisbin Brook Beynon Architects. BBBA managed the renovation of Madison Square Garden. The project will include upgrades in food and beverage, premium and club spaces, employ the latest technology, and make sustainability a priority as it is at Climate Pledge and UBS arenas.
The hope is there. Gotta be better than what we have had, functional as it's been the past 35 years.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 2:08 PM

This might not get people as excited relative to a legit developer building a high rise in downtown, but this is a big time project with OVG onboard & the first legit Tier 1 operational undertaking that will happen in downtown. Hopefully this spurs the inexperienced builder owner of City Centre to flip it to a qualified developer to build a complimentary new CC to go with this development next door. This will get the attention we're looking for when it comes to commercial real estate, residential builders looking for proximity to the arena.

The amount of concerts and events (NHL-I can dream, World Juniors, Memorial Cup, etc.) that can now be drawn to this arena will be a lot better than anything we've seen in years in totality. All though I was really looking forward to RATM and RTJ prior to COVID.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 2:29 PM

The owner of City Centre is relatively experienced, not really any less than most other builders operating in Hamilton right now.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The owner of City Centre is relatively experienced, not really any less than most other builders operating in Hamilton right now.
Agreed. As I said on another thread, rumour is that tenants have to exit the building by spring of 2022, so it looks like they're moving ahead on this one.

Looking at their other builds though, I don't expect it to look good, or be done with any sort of grace whatsoever. I don't hate spandrel on every building (though it's not optimal) but on IN8 buildings they look especially bad because it easily could be a solid material instead which would look significantly better.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 2:39 PM

Yup. I expect it to be pretty ugly, though the grade related experience looks surprisingly high quality. We’ll have to see.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 6:11 PM

New print on the windows facing Bay St N

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton