HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 7:43 PM

It needs a new public street through the middle and retail on King. Then it’s fine.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 7:59 PM
It's a nickname from work

It already looks to have something of a public street (or at least a thoroughfare) through the centre, though I do agree with you about the commercial aspect. Apart from that, I don't mind the design, the density is good, and you can't go wrong with a green roof

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 8:03 PM

I'll repeat my three biggest issues with this development:

1) Way too much driveway space because for whatever reason there are 8 lobbies.

2) Way too much parking for this development, though I understand they are following the city's rules (something I complained about in another thread).

3) Lack of proper pedestrianized street with commercial through the centre. The entrance off King should be widened to allow patios on the middle street and some commercial along King. This would provide a nice pedestrianized restaurant cafés space for local shops and nice patio area for not just the development, but also the tens of thousands of residents around this area to walk to.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 8:06 PM
Ham-burgher

I don't mind the scale. It just looks way too... too... too institutional (?) for this area. It does need some pedestrian-focused retail/services/amenities, along King and Lawrence and the new street up the gut.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I don't mind the scale. It just looks way too... too... too institutional (?) for this area. It does need some pedestrian-focused retail/services/amenities, along King and Lawrence and the new street up the gut.
I have 0% issue with the density. In fact I don't love the town homes, or the overuse of the inner courtyard and thing the density could be increased if it didn't have those unnecessary elements. Being this close to the RHVP and LRT and many schools, and necessary amenities this should be as dense as possible without being over bearing on the neighborhood.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 9:55 PM

All I see is an opportunity to increase tax revenue for the city, while bringing in loads of people to the area to shop and spend money. Approve it!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 1:11 AM

I love density but I hate it as well.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 1:22 AM

Oh lovely another thread for people to complain on lol.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
Oh lovely another thread for people to complain on lol.
I'm not sure what you're suggesting? We approve of every single development taler than 6 storeys? This is a skyscraper and culture forum, not a jerk off to literally anything that isn't single family housing forum.

I love chatting with you guys about development in this forum, please don't let it devolve intl shit slinging and disrespectful behaviour. This is exactly what I'm talking about when I criticize height dogma. An inability to be critical of anything tall. It's an obsession for some of you to the point of being an asshole about it. No need for it, and frankly, I'm not going to say nothing.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 12:57 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

It could be better, but the people it pulls into the neighbourhood will surely spark better transit and other redevelopment. Also, the parking is internal, which helps hide it, so that's nice. Plus, the courtyard could easily be turned to green-space in future, which seems good to me. Get the heat island fighting benefits of a tower in the park without the alienation from the sidewalk that promotes an auto-centric culture.

I'll say a B-.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I'm not sure what you're suggesting? We approve of every single development taler than 6 storeys? This is a skyscraper and culture forum, not a jerk off to literally anything that isn't single family housing forum.

I love chatting with you guys about development in this forum, please don't let it devolve intl shit slinging and disrespectful behaviour. This is exactly what I'm talking about when I criticize height dogma. An inability to be critical of anything tall. It's an obsession for some of you to the point of being an asshole about it. No need for it, and frankly, I'm not going to say nothing.

No but literally every thread on this forum is people complaining about something. Find me a thread without someone whining about something. I come on here for updates on progress of developments only to go on and see someone complaining about parking, stucco, prefab or how ugly a half finished building looks. We get it stubbs is ugly you don't agree with parking requirements etc etc. But it's literally the same negative posts every time.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 2:48 PM

I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about ... there doesn't have to be retail in every single development... there are literally empty store fronts everywhere... this density will bring the necessary population to feed the retail in the neighborhood (the plaza literally next door) and possibly inspire people to occupy the empty store fronts with new retail.... instead of dehydrating the area.... and the design is actually decent

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
No but literally every thread on this forum is people complaining about something. Find me a thread without someone whining about something. I come on here for updates on progress of developments only to go on and see someone complaining about parking, stucco, prefab or how ugly a half finished building looks. We get it stubbs is ugly you don't agree with parking requirements etc etc. But it's literally the same negative posts every time.
It's criticism, we're allowed to do it. Come for the progress updates, ignore the comments you don't like, you don't have to engage with every single person here, it's not a requirement.

The reason commercial makes sense in this development is because of the number of people being injected into the area and the areas relatively low vacancy rate. You must not look at urban Toronto's forum because along with progress updates, guess what, there are also criticisms of material, urban environment, and other elements of a build, and praise when things are done well. If you don't want to engage in a discussion about building materiality or design, I suggest you contact the developers or city who will give you progress updates without comment or criticism of the development.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 3:32 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Considering the area I think this design is a good look and fit... only thing that would make it great is to add some commercial units with a few patios along King and we have a real winner! The height is appropriate and varied and the green roofs are fantastic! I don't really see any true negatives with this one.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 5:23 PM

Count me in for supporting this redevelopment, great density and an investment in the area of the city that needs some help

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 4:03 PM

This was resubmitted with only minor revisions:

https://urbansolutions.info/1842-kin...roject-updates

Disappointing. Still no new public road cutting through the site like there should be and no retail along King St. The city seems to be freaking out about the density and isn't properly addressing the actual issues with the application.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 6:42 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
This was resubmitted with only minor revisions:

https://urbansolutions.info/1842-kin...roject-updates

Disappointing. Still no new public road cutting through the site like there should be and no retail along King St. The city seems to be freaking out about the density and isn't properly addressing the actual issues with the application.
Ugh this is directly across the street from where I live, not looking forward to it.. I kinda wish their proposed units were set a bit farther in.. we'll see I guess

Lack of retail isn't really an issue - there is the bar, some restaurants the metro and shoppers literally just around the corner, and there is residential all around

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Ugh this is directly across the street from where I live, not looking forward to it.. I kinda wish their proposed units were set a bit farther in.. we'll see I guess

Lack of retail isn't really an issue - there is the bar, some restaurants the metro and shoppers literally just around the corner, and there is residential all around
That's kind of the point though isn't it? Vacancy is low in this area for commercial units, providing fewer means rents go up, and local businesses go away. That and adding 2500 new people means your fave bar will become a packed shit hole. Trust me, pre-pandemic, downtown bars were becoming insane because we had people moving downtown and coming downtown, but not enough bars and restaurants. We've started having to make reservations for nearly every place we go now with 50% capacity. It goes to show how much pent up demand there was that places continued to open in the middle of the pandemic. Barton St had more businesses open in 2020 than any year prior. It'll happen to your area too. Once this is built, commercial can't be added. Get it now, or get it never.

Last edited by TheRitsman; Feb 8, 2022 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 11:18 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Once this is built, commercial can't be added. Get it now, or get it never.
While there is some commercial property along King, and King Rose Place plaza, the spaces for more are fairly limited. E.g., there are funeral homes to the east and west and they need their lots, the Croatian church and hall, Lutheran Church, plus another one across the street from this aren't going anywhere, the Wear's garden centre and a few small apartment buildings nearer to Kenilworth are probably not going to change. Maybe the used car lots evolve to a more intensive use at some point, but probably a long time from now.

It's a missed opportunity.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 12:00 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
That's kind of the point though isn't it? Vacancy is low in this area for commercial units, providing fewer means rents go up, and local businesses go away. That and adding 2500 new people means your fave bar will become a packed shit hole. Trust me, pre-pandemic, downtown bars were becoming insane because we had people moving downtown and coming downtown, but not enough bars and restaurants. We've started having to make reservations for nearly every place we go now with 50% capacity. It goes to show how much pent up demand there was that places continued to open in the middle of the pandemic. Barton St had more businesses open in 2020 than any year prior. It'll happen to your area too. Once this is built, commercial can't be added. Get it now, or get it never.
Nahh they got endzones down the street - that place is huge - theyll all go there lol

and the businesses have survived all these years as is - the flower shop will do amazingly next door

and I remember when endzones was in that strip and it WAS a shithole (usually just on ufc nights - the food was amazing though) - if anything kings landing is now rather sparse - it would use some more traffic.

but yeah there are 2 more bars down the street so not too bad - if anything the small ma and pop shops will simply get more traffic like xxx burrito - which is amazing btw

also commercial would only really make sense in the interior of this property as almost nothing along this road is drive innable and its once again a major arterial road - I dunno what everyones obsession is with putting shops along arterial roads - it would just mean everyone would park at the metro to get to them, and that parking lot is a zoo as it is lol..

but yeah maybe some interior ones for the locals to peruse would be nice

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton