HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 8:03 PM

On the Dash stadium update: I knew that there’d be some impact, but driving past the stadium feels really different with the new facility along the right field line. I always enjoyed that you could see a glimpse of the field as you drove past it on the highway.

(After typing it out I realize how minor a gripe this is, but it’s baseball, so that's half the charm) The other thing that I didn’t realize was being changed was the actual right-field fence height in play. One of the things that I love about baseball is the goofiness that can come from some of the fields/dimensions and I thought the right field was so insanely stupid that it was such a charming minor-league thing that I’m going to actually hate losing.

On the 4th and Green apartments: I'm assuming that none of the apartments will have a view of the stadium and they all should be blocked out by West End Station?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
Time for the River Run Film Festival - yea. I noticed that some films will be in Greensboro - OK, but the Downtown Winston-Salem Newsletter is advertising the film festival as “Winston-Salem Greensboro. I thought River Run was a Winston-Salem film festival now with a very few offerings at venues adjacent to W-S. Am I wrong and the name now includes Greensboro?
RED Cinemas in Greensboro has been a venue of the festival for years--since at least 2017. According to the RiverRun website, it's the venue for 8 films, vs. the hundreds being shown in Winston.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:00 PM

“it's the venue for 8 films, vs. the hundreds being shown in Winston.” OK - fair enough, but it seems peculiar to give Greensboro equal billing in the name for such small participation. If 8 films were shown in High Point would it be the Winston-Salem Greensboro High Point Film Festival. Why not add Lexington and have the Winston-Salem Greensboro High Point Lexington Film Festival. Perhaps this is being a bit silly but I’m bettin’ Cannes doesn’t add venue names.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
Time for the River Run Film Festival - yea. I noticed that some films will be in Greensboro - OK, but the Downtown Winston-Salem Newsletter is advertising the film festival as “Winston-Salem Greensboro. I thought River Run was a Winston-Salem film festival now with a very few offerings at venues adjacent to W-S. Am I wrong and the name now includes Greensboro?
The River Run Film Festival site is also giving Greensboro equal billing.

https://riverrunfilm.com/news-3-19-24/

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:30 PM

“The River Run Film Festival site is also giving Greensboro equal billing.”

Why?

Not only are major things developed in W-S then stolen (Charlotte), W-S is giving away recognition now, recognition that is essential in attracting stuff to W-S. Well, this should certainly add to the national image and Greensboro’s image that W-S is just a big suburb of Greensboro.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 7:47 PM

Quote:
The squeeze on the existing-home inventory in the Winston-Salem area maintained a seller’s market during the first quarter, according to a report released Monday by the Winston-Salem Regional Association of Realtors.

There were 787 properties sold in the first quarter, down 11.2% from the first quarter of 2023. Pending sales were down 18.7% to 899, while new listings dropped 2.2% to 1,136.

For homebuyers who were able to secure a home, the median sale price was 8.7% higher year over year at $308,000. Sellers typically received 99% of their list price for their home.

https://journalnow.com/news/local/bu...home-top-story

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 5:21 PM

RiverRun is not listed at https://film-fest-report.com/film-festivals-2024/ though it is listed at https://festagent.com/en/festivals which lists hundreds and hundreds of film festivals some quite obscure and one must “load more” about a million times before RiverRun appears. Oh, and the venue listed is only Winston-Salem. I reckon that website doesn’t have the correct complete venue information. Well, one cannot trust the Internet can one?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 12:03 AM

IQ infrastructure construction

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 11:52 AM
Fourth and Main

I can see the ash pit they plan to build a parking deck over. Thank you for the update!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 12:12 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

What is planned for Salem Bottling Works? This week, we take a look inside at the construction drawings!

Video Link

Salem Bottling Works:
We now know the architect for this project (CJMW). Of course I have construction drawings.

A chocolatier (could be part of the bakery)?

Credit: CJMW

Ramen Prep Area?

Bar and Lounge... Expo Kitchen?

Chatham Building Apartments, Hotel, & Retail:

Credit: 6XnVS3oA4OQ

New Jobs:
A construction equipment company has entered incentive talks with Forsyth County for a new $73 million facility. Could this be what John Deere has acquired so much property for? I guess we shall see!

Fogle Commons / IQ Infrastructure:

Credit: focalvibes

African-American History Museum:

Credit: Dale Briggs

Loewy Building Apartments & Retail:

The Loewy Building's lead office tenant must upfit and move into this ugly 1970s building before work can start on the 1920s Art Deco Loewy Building:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Woolworth Museum & Event Center:

Credit: 6XnVS3oA4OQ

Your City

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 4:09 PM

Thanks again Matthew for your interest and diligence.

Must admit, had hoped for something more relevant, upbeat, and national for the old Woolworth Building.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:38 PM

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-citie...ontent=wstoday

Interesting - best places to start a business.

Charlotte 3
Durham 9
Raleigh 11
Winston-Salem 15
Greensboro 50

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:59 PM

"Plans are underway to make the Old Salem Neighborhood more pedestrian and bike friendly. We should learn more, soon. That area already has a lot of pedestrians and cyclists, but I'm guessing there are upgrades they can make to improve the experience?"

Matthew, where did you see/hear this? I'm interested in know more. Thanks!

Old Posted Today, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Coldwell Banker Advantage, one of the largest residential real estate companies in the Triad, is excited to announce the relocation of its Winston-Salem office to a new location in downtown Winston-Salem.

“Coldwell Banker Advantage is committed to providing the best service to our clients, and this move allows us to be at the heart of the city’s vibrant real estate market,” said Kevin Jay, President of Coldwell Banker Advantage Triad. “We look forward to continuing to serve our clients from our new, centrally-located office.”

The new office location will offer clients easy access to the company’s experienced team of real estate professionals, as well as the convenience of being located in the heart of the city. Further details about the grand opening celebration will be announced soon.

“This move is going to create big opportunities for our real estate agents to grow their business and better serve their clients.” Said Andy Warren, Manager of the Winston-Salem Coldwell Banker Advantage office. “Downtown Winston-Salem is growing and its central location is going to allow us to do more for the community than we could before in our current location.”

“I am thrilled to welcome Coldwell Banker Advantage to their new home in downtown Winston-Salem.” Said Ben Bloodworth, one of the building owners and long-standing commercial real estate brokers in the community. “Their presence will undoubtedly enrich our vibrant downtown area. I eagerly anticipate the positive influence they will have on our community and the local real estate market.”
https://buff.ly/3U6oAjX

Old Posted Today, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Steve Doumas calls it a donation of love to the city whose residents gave their business to his father’s first restaurant here in 1954 — on the same property where Doumas now operates Camel City BBQ Factory.

Or you could call them letters of love: Doumas was able to get ahold of the letters W and S from the former Winston Tower building, and on Tuesday had them mounted as an art display where Liberty and Main streets come together at his restaurant.

Doumas calls the display a way to “welcome people downtown and say Thank You.”

https://journalnow.com/news/local/ca...home-top-story

Old Posted Today, 12:47 PM

The "E" and the "T" from the Winston Tower are now at the Easy Tiger bar in the southside.

Old Posted Today, 5:39 PM

Kudos to Duomas for implementing this phenomenal idea! It's aesthetic things like this that make a City pop!

Old Posted Today, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Winston-Salem’s first pre-professional soccer team is making its debut this season.

Salem City FC started as Greensboro Dynamo in 1993. The team won the Premier Development League’s Mid-Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference championship in 2004. Throughout the years, the team went through new changes, including switching to a youth soccer team. In 2018, it joined US League 2, which is focused on developing a team of professional soccer players.

Covering new grounds
With new ownership came a new name and a new location. The team moved from Greensboro to Winston-Salem last year, hoping to create a soccer culture in the Twin City.

“We’re just trying to create [...] an exciting atmosphere for people to come out,” Chris Barnhart, managing partner with Salem City FC, told City Editor Kellina. “We’re only working with local communities organizations keep it as local as possible and then just building that community support around it.”

Salem City FC is equipped with 28 players on the roster who come from all over the Piedmont region, the US, and world. Their goal is to advance the soccer team in ranks.

“We have a vision and the vision is to bring professional soccer to Winston year-round,” Salem City FC Head Coach Chris Williams said.

What to expect on game day
The first home game will take place Saturday, May 11 at Truist Sports Park (428 Twins Way) in Bermuda Run. Fans will come out to cheer on Salem City FC, who will play against Charlotte Independence starting at 7 p.m.

Barnhart says fans can expect bounce houses for kids, local food trucks, and performances by local high school bands. The team will also partner with Wise Man Brewing and plans to create a beer garden for adults.
https://wstoday.6amcity.com/tourism-...LfJNDam8kZyCUZ

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations