HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 1:29 AM

sorry, i went to the site. roundtrip is $471 taxes included. $169 each way without taxes.

Last edited by David1gray; Dec 1, 2010 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 1:23 AM

Tonight would be a great night for plane spotters to get out to the Halifax Airport. With all the cancellations over the past day or two; Air Canada is using bigger aircraft all day. A couple flights from Toronto have been converted to Airbus A330-300's (3 flights) - which haven't been around since when they tried out using them from toronto and onto London in the summer of 2008.

The London flight tonight has been upgraded to an A330-300 in order to move more people in the backlog.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 10:58 PM

Halifax Stanfield Serves Over 3.5 Million Passengers in 2010

http://www.hiaa.ca/default.asp?id=19....1.262.291.656

January 25, 2011

Halifax Stanfield Serves Over 3.5 Million Passengers in 2010
Second Busiest in Airport’s 50 Year History
Record Breaking Year for U.S. Traffic

Halifax, N.S. – Halifax Stanfield International Airport (HSIA) served 3,508,153 passengers in 2010, up 2.7 per cent from 2009. This marks the airport’s second busiest year in its 50 year history. (Record set in 2008 when the airport welcomed a record 3,578,931 passengers.)

“We share this achievement with all of our partners – airlines, tenants, retailers, volunteers, all levels of government and the dedicated employees of Halifax International Airport Authority (HIAA),” says Tom Ruth, HIAA President & CEO. “I especially want to thank Nova Scotia Business Inc, Greater Halifax Partnership, Destination Halifax, Nova Scotia Tourism, ACOA and the NS Gateway Secretariat – all members of the Air Gateway Committee. Our partners have worked very diligently with us to grow air service to the region.”

The 2010 sector breakdown sees transborder traffic (non-stop to the United States) up by 7.3 per cent to a record of over 350,000 passengers. Meanwhile, domestic traffic is up 2.8 per cent and international passengers are down 4 per cent.

“The continued strength of Air Canada and WestJet, in addition to US Airways’ three daily flights to Philadelphia and Porter Airlines’ new four a day flights to St. John’s and year-round daily flights to Ottawa highlighted a robust year for us,” says Ruth.

In 2010, Halifax Stanfield was served by 18 passenger airlines flying to a total of 44 destinations (23 year-round and 21 seasonal). The airport managed an average of over 170 flights each day.

“Our commitment to provide superior service at Halifax Stanfield reaches far beyond those 3.5 million passengers,” says Ruth. “When you consider the family and friends who pick them up and drop them off, we have the opportunity to provide a positive experience to over 5 million people a year. We take our responsibility to each and every one of them very seriously,” he says.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 5:52 AM

This is great news! Onward and upward!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 2:08 PM

The HIAA 2011 Business Plan is now available on the website.

In summary:
  • A $135 million (40 year) bond issue was placed last fall to pay the 85M construction loan (parking lot) and the next few years of capital projects.
  • A new 10 year capital plan will be completed and released.
  • Increased revenues from increase of Airport Improvement fee to $20
  • Mild projected increases in passenger levels, general revenue and expenses
  • Execution of initial stages of the new 20 year Master Plan (which has not been released to us public yet). This year $35.7 million planned capital expenditures including:
    - Rerouting of outbound Bell Boulevard from the exit of the parking lots, then to the west and returning to meet the main road near Tim Horton's (see the Old Master Plan for the likely route. This will provide new commercial lot opportunities.
    - Barnes Drive water, sewer, stormwater and sidewalk upgrades.
    - Start of work to modernize south end of Air Terminal Building for passenger processing, baggage handling and facade improvements.
    - Assessment of airplane loading bridges/gates with contingency to replace two if needed
    - Completion of last phase of Airfield Restoration program with work on taxiways D and F. This was delayed last year due to replacement of old ILS by NavCanada.
  • And... no mention of the Hotel.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 3:35 PM

Thanks for that macgregor, just took a look through 2011 business plan and found more details...

Major Capital Projects
Significant investments are being made
to meet the demands of future air traffic
growth, improve the level of service to
the travelling public, and maximize
revenue potential.
Groundside
A total of $13.9 million is forecast for
groundside improvements in 2011, as
follows:

Bell Boulevard Extension
In order to create new revenue
generating commercial lots on airport
property, a new road will be constructed
from the area near the parkade toll plaza
through to Goudey Drive and Selfridge
Way and reconnected with Bell Boulevard
near Tim Hortons.
Underground services
for water, storm water and sanitary
sewer will also be constructed for
servicing the commercial lots.

Barnes Drive Improvements
The Barnes Drive improvements will
consist of the replacement of
underground sewer, storm water, and
water services and the addition of
sidewalks. This project will replace critical
services and will upgrade the primary
hanger line road to modern industrial
park access road standards, improving
capacity and safety.

Air Terminal Building (ATB)
The forecast expenditure in 2011 related
to the ATB is $3.3 million and is as
follows:
South End of the Terminal Expansion
and Passenger Processing
Improvements
Design and start-up construction for an
expansion at the south end of the
terminal building and upgraded baggage
handling for both the domestic and
transborder areas will commence in
2011. The work in the south end of the
terminal will result in improvements to
passenger flow, improvements to hold
baggage screening capacity, and an
architectural style that is consistent with
the façade of the remainder of the ATB.

In the transborder area, the design of
new baggage handling systems that
improves overall passenger handling
capacity will proceed.

New Loading Bridges
Some of the terminal jet bridges are
nearing the end of their useful life and
will need to be replaced. In early 2011, a
full assessment will be undertaken so
that a multi-year replacement/
refurbishment plan can be created. The
plan for 2011 is to allow for immediate
replacement of up to two jet bridges if
required

Last edited by q12; Feb 4, 2011 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 1:50 AM

As a frequent traveller back home; I have to agree with their plan to start replacing some of the airbridges, but I'd say they need more than 2 replaced - I'd say easily 4 or more. The airbridges they have for gates 15 and up to 24 are all original from when I was a kid. The only new ones that they added were gates 12 and 14 with the south end expansion.

As it often turns out; I usually fly Air Canada and I can tell you I end up out of gate 22 which is showing it's age (rusting big time). But so was gate 23 - which is the gate I arrived at during Christmas. Some of the panels looked like they were coming off - not exactly a great way to welcome people. I think the other new ones they added or replaced with in the international area (gates 26, 27 and 28).

On another note; I know this thread was talking about additional routes into Halifax. I was going through my shoulder bag and found my invitation to an event celebrating air canada's recent announcement on expanded services from Calgary to Tokyo and found some notes I wrote on it. I had forgotten that while I was at this event, I met a gentleman from Lufthansa (I honestly don't remember much about the event - it was quite boring).

Anyway, I asked him about Lufthansa's plans with Canada - if there were any expansion plans coming. He basically told me that there were two places on their radar: Ottawa and Halifax, but that they weren't quite at the levels they would be comfortable with. Apparently Ottawa will get service first, if it happens because population and income levels are just right. Halifax, wouldn't have to reach Ottawa area populations because it's a regional hub for the maritimes, but average income hadn't quite reached the right levels. From what I recall; he said that there concern was filling the business cabin seats first - if incomes weren't high, the chances of selling the business seats is less. But because AC is a partner through star alliance, the population isn't wasn't as big of a deal because the Jazz service from the maritimes could easily feed the route. The other thing was concern about getting people to fly to Frankfurt and spend time there - since the Euro is high against our dollar; the route might wouldn't attract people staying for longer periods.

But he did confirm there was no issue with the runways or the airport being able to service their A340's. So it's interesting that we're on the radar; just need more people and slightly higher income. He never did tell me where we'd have to be to warrent service or what level of service we'd get - so I wonder how long it will take? But it was an interesting conversation...I wonder if Nova Centre goes ahead; whether they'd come in? I know we talked about Condor and he was aware they did well with twice a week in the summer.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 10:10 PM

Just saw on CTV that they are a couple of weeks away from signing a deal with a major hotel chain to build a 175 ish room hotel onsite. They were also talking about the refurbishment of the registration area in the terminal building.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
Just saw on CTV that they are a couple of weeks away from signing a deal with a major hotel chain to build a 175 ish room hotel onsite. They were also talking about the refurbishment of the registration area in the terminal building.
This is great news. I wonder what the brand will be?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 11:35 PM

That's awesome news. Wasn't someone saying it was W chain or perhaps LeGermain? Those names seem to come to mind from previous discussions.

Oh - I was going through some old boxes in my storage room and found some stuff on a project I did in university and happened to find an old set of scheduled from Air Canada (it was a transportation project). Back in the late 90's, while Air Canada still had the 767-200ERs in service, they had a direct flight from Halifax to Frankfurt twice a day. They scaled back the London route to 5x a week to accommodate the London service. The following year, they didn't offer the flight and instead the 767 did a late night flight back to Toronto.

Thought that was interesting.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
That's awesome news. Wasn't someone saying it was W chain or perhaps LeGermain? Those names seem to come to mind from previous discussions.
Yeah found this in the Development Rumours. This was the alt brand.

Source

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 3:07 PM

Can't have a world class city without a worldclass airport.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 7:28 PM

Considering the level of awards that YHZ has won; I'd say it's world class for certain!

Now if we could just attract some more international flights!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 1:47 AM

Most of thse awards are "won" simply by submitting the application and a substantial application fee. These type of commercial awards are often not the result of any actual competition.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Most of thse awards are "won" simply by submitting the application and a substantial application fee. These type of commercial awards are often not the result of any actual competition.
So are you stating that this is the case for the awards that HSIA has garnered?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Considering the level of awards that YHZ has won; I'd say it's world class for certain!

Now if we could just attract some more international flights!
Those are awards based on customer surveys - the major (and respected) airport awards have never given anything to Halifax. It keeps wining for customer satisfaction due to:
1) The plaid-vested volunteers, who leave a lasting impression of friendliness, and
2) The sample population - we're talking about people who are not major-international travelers for the most part. Most of the "folks" who travel through the airport were giving it these awards back when there were still exposed, painted, cinder blocks as interior finishes!

I would not say it's world class based on the TYPES of awards it has garnered.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Those are awards based on customer surveys - the major (and respected) airport awards have never given anything to Halifax. It keeps wining for customer satisfaction due to:
1) The plaid-vested volunteers, who leave a lasting impression of friendliness, and
2) The sample population - we're talking about people who are not major-international travelers for the most part. Most of the "folks" who travel through the airport were giving it these awards back when there were still exposed, painted, cinder blocks as interior finishes!

I would not say it's world class based on the TYPES of awards it has garnered.
I would disagree about the volunteers. Compared to some of the volunteers at airports across this country - I would say the ones in Halifax would win that airport awards hands down. I've had way better assistance from them compared to the 'white hatters' here in calgary. Some of the ones here are down right rude!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 1:51 PM

Airport bus plan might be on the skids

Councillor warns new terminal costs soaring

By BILL POWER Business Reporter

S OME

CRACKS ap­peared Thursday in Metro Transit’s proposed service to Halifax Stan­field International Air­port, where hundreds of workers and many em­ployers remain hungry for public transit.

About six express buses are supposed to start rolling in spring 2012 between the Dart­mouth Bridges terminal and the airport, via Highway 102, with a pit stop in Fall River.

But Coun. Barry Dalrymple (Waverley-Fall River-Beaver Bank) warned it might not hap­pen in the wake of cost over­runs for the new $12-million Dartmouth terminal approved by Halifax regional council on Tuesday.

“A lot of people are anxiously awaiting the commencement of this service, but Metro Transit indicated the additional cost of the terminal will affect the bud­get," the councillor said.

There is a chance the airport service may not make it through the budget deliberations that are beginning at city hall, he said.

Many of the estimated 4,500 workers in the area surrounding the airport and their employers, not to mention many commu­ters in the Fall River area, have waited a long time for the ser­vice to start.

Land for a park-and-ride for metro-bound commuters has already been obtained in Fall River by the Highway 118 over­pass, he said.

The councillor said there may also be problems obtaining specialized highway buses for the service.

“Regular Metro Transit buses are unsuitable for regular high­way use. It’s not like we can approve this service and start it the next day," he said.

Metro Transit plans to run several MetroX transit buses between Dartmouth and the airport has been kicked around since at least 2009, when a report suggested 30-minute peak ser­vice and 60-minute off-peak service between 6 a.m. and mid­night.

Airport spokeswoman Ashley Barnes said there was a lot of disappointment among workers and employers when the service wasn’t launched as anticipated in 2010.

“For people who do not drive there is not an affordable option available," she said.

Some people who drive must pay $25 per month for parking, although some employers cover all or part of that expense.

She said the airport authority is operating under the assump­tion the service will begin in the spring of 2012 as expected.

Metro Transit spokeswoman Lori Patterson said implementa­tion of the airport service re­mains on the planning board, but cannot advance further without budgetary approval for the buses by regional council.

“Once we obtain budgetary approval we can proceed," she said.

(bpower@herald.ca)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 4:49 PM

February 21, 2011

Federal, Provincial Governments Invest $14 Million in Halifax Stanfield

The Federal and Provincial Governments will together invest $14 million in funding to extend the main runway at Halifax Stanfield International Airport.

Minister of National Defence Peter MacKay, on behalf of Minister of Transport Chuck Strahl, and Premier Darrell Dexter, today announced that Nova Scotia will invest $5 million and Transport Canada will provide $9 million in funding, with an additional $14 million provided by the Airport Authority.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgregor View Post
February 21, 2011

Federal, Provincial Governments Invest $14 Million in Halifax Stanfield

The Federal and Provincial Governments will together invest $14 million in funding to extend the main runway at Halifax Stanfield International Airport.

Minister of National Defence Peter MacKay, on behalf of Minister of Transport Chuck Strahl, and Premier Darrell Dexter, today announced that Nova Scotia will invest $5 million and Transport Canada will provide $9 million in funding, with an additional $14 million provided by the Airport Authority.

Excellent news! 8800 feet to 10,500 feet (3200m)!

Runway at Halifax airport to be extended

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9019933.html

By DAVID JACKSON Provincial Reporter | UPDATED 1:30 p.m.
Mon, Feb 21 - 10:56 AM

Federal and provincial taxpayers will foot half the bill for a $28-million runway extension at Halifax's Stanfield International Airport.

The airport’s main runway will be lengthened to 10,500 feet from 8,800, Defence Minister Peter MacKay said in an announcement at the airport this morning.

MacKay, speaking on behalf of federal Transport Minister Chuck Strahl, said there are large, wide-bodied aircraft that require a longer runway when fully loaded, and in poor weather.

“We are enhancing the airport’s position as a key international air cargo hub,” said MacKay, the regional minister for the province.

The federal government is contributing up to $9 million, and the province is in for $5 million, Premier Darrell Dexter said. The Halifax International Airport Authority will cover the other $14 million.

Authority spokesman Peter Spurway said engineering and design work will get underway this year, with construction expected to be complete in late 2013.

He said it’s too early to say how many jobs could be created.

Dexter said the extension will create opportunities for businesses across Atlantic Canada, and should help the province’s seafood industry, in particular.

“Once you get more traffic coming in and out, the ability to be able to piggy-back on those flights is much greater,” Dexter said. “You get lower costs, you get better routing into markets, particularly into Europe. That would be very, very good for many businesses in this province.”

Dexter said he had no problem with the province helping pay for infrastructure that’s under federal jurisdiction, pointing to the $1.2 billion in economic activity the airport generates annually.

The premier said the airport is just as important to the future of the Atlantic gateway and the ability to move cargo in and out of North America, as the Port of Halifax.

The airport expects air cargo traffic to increase by 85 to 130 per cent over the next decade. The airport moved 29,000 tonnes of cargo in 2009

Last edited by q12; Feb 21, 2011 at 6:49 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure