HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 2:58 AM
Hong Kong

Canary Wharf has a good mix of commercial and residential developments with plenty of water views thanks to its port history. Many wharves and inlets have been transformed and it feels quiet, serene, and safe despite being just a short walk away from the skyscraper banking towers.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/london.htm

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 2:48 AM
Hong Kong

Stonehenge is a popular day trip out of London. If you don't want to join a coach tour and do it yourself, you will likely pass by Salisbury along the way, as buses connect to the site from the train station.

Before you head off to Stonehenge, do budget a half day visit this pleasant town to see the magnificent cathedral and Magna Carta copy.

Today's Salisbury was developed when the cathedral moved here in the 13th century. During the Middle Ages, this area flourished from cloth and wool trading, and the town's layout reflects the medieval heritage with a number of timber-framed buildings surviving.

Salisbury Cathedral dates back to the 13th century and was completed in under 40 years, with the 123m spire, the tallest in England, added in the mid-14th century. 60,000 tons of stone, 2800 tons of oak, and 420 tons of lead were used to build this masterpiece.

Chapter House is an impressive small structure with beautiful stained glass windows that was once used for cathedral staff to meet daily. Today, it houses a very important document, the Magna Carta, which set people's rights against King John's rule. There are 4 surviving original copies, with 1, arguably the best preserved, on display here.

Many volunteer guides were on hand at the entrance to the nave to help you visit the cathedral and understand its history and features.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/salisbury.htm

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 3:18 AM
Hong Kong

The Barbican was built on the site of World War II devastation. German bombers flattened the area and only few buildings survived. Reconstruction focused on repopulating the City hence housing was the main purpose. Built between 1969 and 1976, the residential blocks sit on a 40 acre site with a raised podium and elevated walkways. In addition, cultural facilities were built between 1971 and 1982 with 2 theatres, a concert hall, library, art gallery, and more.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 1:59 AM
Hong Kong

Smithfield Market is the largest and oldest wholesale meat market in the country. Originally located just outside the city, it turned into a major livestock market in the Middle Ages. Having all the animals brought here caused a lot of problems by the end of the 18th century and the livestock market moved in 1852, with the Smithfield location focusing on cut meat instead. What we see today was built in the 1860s with lots of cast iron, stone, Welsh slate, and glass.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 2:31 AM
Hong Kong

The British Library evokes images of Karl Marx reading and writing his Das Kapital in a classy setting. I was surprised to find it is now a modern facility although a visit is still very worthwhile because they have a decent museum on site showcasing a large variety of items. There was a special exhibition on the Chinese community in the UK over the past 300 years, with the first recorded arrivals in the late 1600s, the first Chinatown in Liverpool, and their stories.

Be sure to see their other exhibits that come from around the world, including a copy of the Magna Carta.

More photos on my website : London Photo Gallery

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 7:20 PM
Hong Kong

The City still retains many small alleys and side streets that convey a very medieval tone. Add to that a small church here and there, it is worth wandering off the main streets to find a few surprises.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 12:07 PM
Hong Kong

The area around Victoria station has beautiful streetscapes and Westminster Cathedral is part of that. Completed in 1903, the red and white church looks wonderful outside, but apparently they ran out of money so the interiors remained sparse.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 3:48 PM
Hong Kong

Regent and Bond Streets seem to have fairly similar Christmas lights year after year, although the crowds still flock there to enjoy them. I ventured into the side streets in the same area to find some lesser-known decor, a bit more stimulating since I never thought of doing so before.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 1:25 PM
Hong Kong

Let's explore London's street signs as I weave through the city's historic centre.

Last edited by hkskyline; Oct 20, 2023 at 1:44 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 9:12 AM
Hong Kong

Christmas shoppers were out in full force at the Harrod's in Knightsbridge. I set my eyes on the food hall to see what luxury groceries and cooked items are on offer. Besides the turkey, a lot of their Christmas specialties are a bit foreign to me given I lived in the New World. I guess they eat different foods on this side of the Atlantic.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 4:03 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Now I'm hungry!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 10:36 AM
Hong Kong

Covent Garden and its neighbouring streets were bursting with people just after sunset on a weekday before Christmas.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 10:37 AM
Hong Kong

After an amazing experience at Harrods, I braved the traffic and took the bus to Oxford Street to see what Selfridges has on display. The store was founded in 1909 by Harry Gordon Selfridge in what would be named the "most imperial building" in London by Architectural Design & Construction magazine in 1926.

Thailand's largest department store owner, Central Group, took over the Selfridges stores in late 2023 after its Austrian partner Signal Group underwent restructuring. The two companies had partnered to purchase Selfridges in 2021 in a deal worth 4 billion pounds.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos