HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:33 PM

Yeah that's a parking garage that's going away to make room for a project that according to Mr. Alderman isn't happening anyway. Let us all privately mourn the loss of places to park our motorcarriages.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 7:14 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Yeah that's a parking garage that's going away to make room for a project that according to Mr. Alderman isn't happening anyway. Let us all privately mourn the loss of places to park our motorcarriages.
According to this article, Reilly was opposed to the National Association of Realtors' plan to demo its HQ and replace it with a mixed-use development. We're talking about an entirely different parcel here.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
According to this article, Reilly was opposed to the National Association of Realtors' plan to demo its HQ and replace it with a mixed-use development. We're talking about an entirely different parcel here.
The speculation was that since this is right across Rush from the NAR building, they would be connected as part of a larger development, possibly with the tower itself being where this parking garage is and the current NAR footprint being a rockafeller-style plaza.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 7:25 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Good point, but if redone properly, the existing building could be quite nice and hold the corner well.
I'm not sure if you realize that you just made a pun here.

The post of mine you responded to was literally a period, to which you said "good point". I'm sure you were responding to my other post, but I got a bit of a chuckle when I thought about it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 7:29 PM
BANNED

^^Yep, the Realtors' "proposal" included this entire parcel to the west of their building, though Realtors came out and said their plans were off the table. But something's brewing here... What land owner would tear down an easy money maker if they didn't have immediate plans for something bigger and better? Tear down a 5-level garage for a less-profitable surface lot? I don't think so..

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
the NAR plan Reilly was opposed to included both the Realtors' building parcel and the parcel in Harry's picture.

From and old tribune article NAR Mag Mile Project

Quote:
A partner on the project was not identified, but much of the land involved is owned by a consortium led by BDT Capital Partners, which acquired 1.5 acres bordered by Hubbard Street, Illinois Street, Rush Street and Wabash as part of its $33 million purchase of the Wrigley Building in September 2011 from Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co. That parcel, which includes a parking lot and the shuttered Lakeshore Athletic Club building, is included in a map of the proposed project that was shown during the Realtors' meeting.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 8:49 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
This is turning out awesome, not sure what you are unsure about? It's like a freaking spaceship landed right next to the Kennedy. I'm just worried about how they are going to screen the mechanical on the roof...
Totally disagree, the fins are a lame cartoonish gesture on an otherwise well conceived architectural statement. Looks like an IKEA parking garage.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
My God what I would give to see a few flatiron-esque buildings go up again in some of Chicago's neighborhoods. Something truly flush and corner-defining. We just shy away from our street corners these days, instead of punctuating them.
Im just giving you a hard time here, but a Flatiron building is one that holds an acute corner. The site in question is a right angle with its nose cut off (thanks to the large radius right turn lane from Belmont onto Ashland)

Other than that... I agree wholeheartedly.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Totally disagree, the fins are a lame cartoonish gesture on an otherwise well conceived architectural statement. Looks like an IKEA parking garage.
I don't understand the logic. This building has been all about the fins since we saw the first renderings. It's not about a lumpy black glass prism, it's about the advertisement of the university through an investment in good design. Everyone driving by is going to see this incredible modern building with bright vibrant colors and wonder "what is that?" and gradually it will become public knowledge that the blue and yellow landmark is the campus of NEIU. I've also heard that they have bigger plans for taking over that whole little loop in the long run to create a true modern urban campus.

Anyhow, the point is saying the fins are a lame cartoonish gesture on an otherwise well conceived glass blob is like saying Aqua's wavy balconies are a lame cartoonish gesture on an otherwise well conceived stale blue glass tower. Chicago is way too buttoned down architecturally at times and we can't forget that there is more than enough room for bold architecture like JGMA or some of VOA's flashier stuff like Roosevelt Tower.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 9:10 AM
dream fast

We agree to disagree. I see the brightly colored fins as a loud gimmick, violating the cantilevered curving glass design, tacked on elements advertising to a fraternity mentality. You discredit the real essence of the design as a lumpy black glass prism or glass blob. This is a stand on it's own statement without the clown colored cartoon fins.
Aqua without the functioning white wave balconies is a tall glass box. I don't buy the comparison.

I will give you credit for using the term 'renderings'. A term so many on this forum don't understand and refer to as 'renders'.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I'm not sure if you realize that you just made a pun here.

The post of mine you responded to was literally a period, to which you said "good point". I'm sure you were responding to my other post, but I got a bit of a chuckle when I thought about it.
That's really strange, when I responded to your post it was about the corner building in Lake View. Oh well.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 1:39 PM

Another multi unit housing project issued a permit for the West Loop. This time at 1241 W Jackson, which is at Jackson & Throop not too far from the Racine Blue Line stop. 4 stories, 42 units, and 56 parking spaces. This is currently a few surface parking lots and the developer is Michigan Avenue Real Estate Group who is behind 20 N Aberdeen, 22 N Aberdeen, Warren & Ashland Place, etc.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 2:35 PM

Quote:
I will give you credit for using the term 'renderings'. A term so many on this forum don't understand and refer to as 'renders'.
I like the fins too. But THANK YOU for pointing out the really annoying use of the term 'renders'.... it hurt to even type it

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
We agree to disagree. I see the brightly colored fins as a loud gimmick, violating the cantilevered curving glass design, tacked on elements advertising to a fraternity mentality. You discredit the real essence of the design as a lumpy black glass prism or glass blob. This is a stand on it's own statement without the clown colored cartoon fins.
Aqua without the functioning white wave balconies is a tall glass box. I don't buy the comparison.

I'm also a fan of this building. But, having worked for the State of Illinois I learned a long time ago - "don't build high maintenance buildings in a state that doesn't maintain anything." Look at what happened to the UIC campus. Whether or not you were a fan of the architecture, a large part of what happened there was the result of not maintaining anything properly. Look at the Thomson center - just disgusting these days. I worry that in a few years this new building will be the next UIC.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 3:05 PM

Rahmbo was at Jones Prep today for an unveiling of the renovations to the old school building, which is still part of Jones, which just got a massive new 5 story building.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...tions-unveiled

Before they decided what to do with it, there was a small hope that the old building would get turned into a proper neighborhood high school as would have benefited the hypotheticals discussed a page or so back.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 3:56 PM

Nevermind

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 5:31 PM

Potentially exciting news for Lakeshore East. I saw a surveying crew down in "Site O", the sliver of vacant land between Aqua and BCBS. I've never seen any activity down there, so surveying could be a sign that someone's getting ready to move on the land.

Does anyone have that LSE master plan map that includes all of the site names? I can't find it on google.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 5:55 PM
BANNED

^Sweet! Let's see some RENDERS!

Here you go..

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Potentially exciting news for Lakeshore East. I saw a surveying crew down in "Site O", the sliver of vacant land between Aqua and BCBS. I've never seen any activity down there, so surveying could be a sign that someone's getting ready to move on the land.

Does anyone have that LSE master plan map that includes all of the site names? I can't find it on google.
I think this is what you are looking for

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 2:27 AM

New Article about the City Of Lights project

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...n+Resources%29

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development