HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 7:00 PM

So to summarize, improvements to be completed in the next couple years (by 2013):
  • New Runway Extension from 8,800 ft to 10,500 ft
  • Re-doing departures domestic & international (except USA) south end area of terminal building to make terminal uniform from end to end
  • New one-way terminal Roadway (Bell Boulevard) to loop back to Highway 102
  • New Hotel at terminal
  • New Loading Bridges
  • Metro Transit Bus Service
  • Other additional improvements

Let me know if I missed anything else important.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 7:41 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
So to summarize, improvements to be completed in the next couple years (by 2013):
  • New Runway Extension from 8,800 ft to 10,500 ft
  • Re-doing departures domestic & international (except USA) south end area of terminal building to make terminal uniform from end to end
  • New one-way terminal Roadway (Bell Boulevard) to loop back to Highway 102
  • New Hotel at terminal
  • New Loading Bridges
  • Metro Transit Bus Service
  • Other additional improvements

Let me know if I missed anything else important.
Great news. Is there a start date for the new hotel?

I wish that construction on the runway extension could be fast-tracked since then it would bring the benefits to the province that much sooner. However, I guess quite a bit of fill would be required to extend the runway. Here is a link to the area to be filled - http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rg9...0nova%20scotia . I wonder if the old quarry will have to be filled in (this is where the Boeing 747 cargo jet crashed a few years ago).

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 7:55 PM

The runway extention might be a combination of adding length to both ends - this is what I was hearing from some people I know close to Airport staff. But of course, that was all rumor.

The departures ticketing area is in desperate need of a renovation and I wish it had happened a few years ago. It's the only part of the airport that still feels like the old '80's airport' I remember (low ceilings, not very welcoming).

But the runway extension will be great for attracting more international flights, this is great news all around!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 9:39 PM

Moncton Airport is getting a similar runway extension, BTW.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 4:50 AM

I was looking at http://fids.flightview.com/hthalifax...t.asp?zoom=out earlier and a KLM 747 had just taken off, bound for Amsterdan (diverted from O'Hare, according to http://flightaware.com/live/flight/KLM48 so obviously YHZ's runways can already handle 747s. Maybe the longer runway will let them land in really low visibility?

I asked them, via Twitter, if the new length would accommodate an A380. That would be great to see, even on a stopover/refuel, up close.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
I was looking at http://fids.flightview.com/hthalifax...t.asp?zoom=out earlier and a KLM 747 had just taken off, bound for Amsterdan (diverted from O'Hare, according to http://flightaware.com/live/flight/KLM48 so obviously YHZ's runways can already handle 747s. Maybe the longer runway will let them land in really low visibility?

I asked them, via Twitter, if the new length would accommodate an A380. That would be great to see, even on a stopover/refuel, up close.
I can't see why YHZ would get an A380 unless it was cargo - there just isn't enough population to warrent a regular flight unless it was maybe weekly or we held some big event like a Commonwealth Games.

If the cargo 747's can land at YHZ, then I am quite sure that all the heavies can do it (with the exception of the A380). I know AC had a couple 777-300's come into YHZ over the xmas holiday when the weather screwed up flights. For me it's not really the runway that's an issue - it's the gates. Because if you look at how gate 28 is setup, if an A380 or a 777 docks there - you've eliminated the use of gate 27 (they are too close together for two wide bodies).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 8:24 AM
Honored Member

Based on what I have read, 747's can't safely take off fully loaded. If cargo jet's aren't able to take off fully loaded then it will be less economical to use the Halifax Airport for cargo. When I have read about the runway extension, the article usually makes reference to making the airport more competitive for cargo.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
If the cargo 747's can land at YHZ, then I am quite sure that all the heavies can do it (with the exception of the A380).
I know an a380 has been at yhz since a friend of mine who works for continental/united posted a pic of one on the tarmac there. It had no passengers so it may have been just a one time thing.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 1:23 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I believe you are right. Some employees at the control tower had mentioned enjoying that one landing and taking off.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 3:49 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
I know an a380 has been at yhz since a friend of mine who works for continental/united posted a pic of one on the tarmac there. It had no passengers so it may have been just a one time thing.
I always make sure to walk by the Emirates gate whenever I am in major airports just to see the 380. Amazing to see the sheer scale of it.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I always make sure to walk by the Emirates gate whenever I am in major airports just to see the 380. Amazing to see the sheer scale of it.
I've seen it docked at the international pier at T1 in Toronto a few times on my way back to Halifax. It is impressive. I just don't think that Halifax could cope with one of these landing and parking. The domestic arrivals would be a mess, not to mention customs. Would be an interesting challenge though.

Fenwick - you may be right to a certain extent. But if I recall, before the MK Airlines 747 went down, it had landed and taken off from YHZ quite a few times. Wasn't the main issue that some of it's cargo had come loose and shifted?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 10:56 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I've seen it docked at the international pier at T1 in Toronto a few times on my way back to Halifax. It is impressive. I just don't think that Halifax could cope with one of these landing and parking. The domestic arrivals would be a mess, not to mention customs. Would be an interesting challenge though.

Fenwick - you may be right to a certain extent. But if I recall, before the MK Airlines 747 went down, it had landed and taken off from YHZ quite a few times. Wasn't the main issue that some of it's cargo had come loose and shifted?
That was the initial assumption - that the load shifted. But the accident investigation determined that the pilot had set the wrong engine thrust setting as stated below:

(source: http://www.planecrashinfo.com/2004/2004-43.htm )
Quote:
The cargo plane did not gain altitude and ran off the end of the runway and crashed into a forest. The aircraft's lower aft fuselage struck a berm supporting a localizer antenna, resulting in the tail separating from the aircraft, rendering the aircraft uncontrollable. The incorrect V speeds and thrust setting were too low to enable the aircraft to take off safely for the actual weight of the aircraft. The pilots of MKA1602 did not carry out the gross error check in accordance with the company's standard operating procedures (SOPs), and the incorrect take-off performance data were not detected. Crew fatigue.
He might have been able to take off in spite of the pilot error if he had a longer runway in order to gain speed. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
Is this photo online somewhere? I'd love to see it.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
I was looking at http://fids.flightview.com/hthalifax...t.asp?zoom=out earlier and a KLM 747 had just taken off, bound for Amsterdan (diverted from O'Hare, according to http://flightaware.com/live/flight/KLM48 so obviously YHZ's runways can already handle 747s.
KLM had scheduled 747 service between AMS and YHZ beginning in the late 1980’s. (It was actually a AMS-YHZ-YOW routing.) Scheduled service lasted until the mid ‘90s but in the final couple of years flights were operated by Martinair 767s on behalf of KLM.

CP Air also operated scheduled 747s between Halifax and Amsterdam.

And I’ve been on an Air Canada 747 from Gander to Halifax.

We were scheduled to fly out of YYT (Torbay) on a Sunday evening after a hockey tournament in March 1984. But the fog rolled in and after two days, with the back-log of passengers it was decided to bus us to Gander to a waiting 747. And I remember that bus trip well.....not on a CN Roadcruiser.....but on a St. John’s city transit bus! Climbing those long grades in 1st gear......I never thought we would get there!

Also have photos of BA, TWA & NWA 747s at YHZ too.

Last edited by ghYHZ; Feb 27, 2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: additional info

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 1:01 AM

Id like to see those pictures

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
KLM had scheduled 747 service between AMS and YHZ beginning in the late 1980’s. (It was actually a AMS-YHZ-YOW routing.) Scheduled service lasted until the mid ‘90s but in the final couple of years flights were operated by Martinair 767s on behalf of KLM.

CP Air also operated scheduled 747s between Halifax and Amsterdam.

And I’ve been on an Air Canada 747 from Gander to Halifax.

We were scheduled to fly out of YYT (Torbay) on a Sunday evening after a hockey tournament in March 1984. But the fog rolled in and after two days, with the back-log of passengers it was decided to bus us to Gander to a waiting 747. And I remember that bus trip well.....not on a CN Roadcruiser.....but on a St. John’s city transit bus! Climbing those long grades in 1st gear......I never thought we would get there!

Also have photos of BA, TWA & NWA 747s at YHZ too.
I forgot that KLM had the 747 but that's right. I remember taking the LHR flight with AC and we ended up on an L1011 that stoped in YYT (that was the normal routing). They put such a big plane on what was an empty flight because we had to go up and around the north pole due to a storm - so we needed a long range plane since it was going to add at least 4 hours to what was normally a 5 hour flight from YYT. I used an entire middle section to sleep - I don't remember much about it.

I think because Cargo 747's typically carry a heavier load than a typical 747 - in the case of a MKA fenwick is probably right - a longer runway would've been helpful. But no one can really say for sure that if there runway had been longer they could've gotten off the ground. They could easily have still crashed.

I remember being at the airport during operation yellow ribbon (On 9/11) but I don't recall seeing 747's. I thought there was though - I know there were a lot of 767's, 777's and A330/340's.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 2:31 AM

Emirates Sky Cargo 747 taking off from YHZ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CZox0py7LQ

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
Emirates Sky Cargo 747 taking off from YHZ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CZox0py7LQ
Good video. On that youtube channel for the airport they also show "Kalitta Air" taking off. It looks like from runway 32 to me, which is shorter at 7700' long. I wonder how full it was.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 4:40 PM
Honored Member

This following link gives information on runway length requirements for 747 freighters based on the airplane gross weight - http://www.boeing.com/commercial/air...s/7478sec3.pdf.

Data for other 747 models are at this link (under airplane performance - http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/747.htm )

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 10:32 PM

Air Canada is bringing in a Boeing 777 and 767 (which fly to Halifax daily) to help get athletes home from the Canada Games tonight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure